Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Have any experience with them? Good? Bad? I just took an old Bishop stock out of the box and realized that it was inletted for the wrong action and I am thinking about a Boyds JRS Classic now instead for my Mauser action.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
HR IC

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
boyd's stocks are nice. i have had 2 laminated ones, no idea on the walnut.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It will take some final fitting but they, I have three, have worked well for me on two Mausers and one 1022. Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought one years ago. Thier "drop in fit" statement was true. It probably would have taken two Accra-glass bedding kits to fill in the gaps. It went back. Maybe things have changed for the better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I put one of their finished laminates on a cousin's Model 70 two years ago and fit and finish were good, required a sliver of wood be removed in one spot was all. It won't be confused with a custom job but it was better than the average factory stock. No experience with the solid walnut.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Think I'm going to have to let reality set in. I've thought about it and come to some conclusions.

1. That Zastava action ain't gonna fade away into dust if I don't build it right now.

2.I need to get the parts to finish the action before I need to worry about sending it anywhere to have a tube screwed on, and I have to do that before I need to worry about a stock.

3. I have no immediate need for another rifle, I have everything I hunt or will hunt for the next few years well covered.

4. I have to work within the constraints of my budget.

So, I'm just going to peck away at this project a piece at a time, might take a while, but that way I can afford to do it exactly as I want. Thanks for all the input, I'll post pics if I ever get it finished... wink

Mauser Rescue Society

jdi do píči
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Have any experience with them? Good? Bad? I just took an old Bishop stock out of the box and realized that it was inletted for the wrong action and I am thinking about a Boyds JRS Classic now instead for my Mauser action.

Dont know about Boyds, But Weinig up in Missouri built me a beautiful English walnut stock for my DWM Mauser in 6.5X55 and had it shipped to me completed and rifle ready in less than three weeks.

Very, Very nice work, and the little rifle shoots like a house a fire to boot.

Gunner

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The laminated Boyd's stocks are very heavy and bulky. I had one on a saltwood Browning Safari and I thinned it down on a belt sander, removed the cheek piece and shortened the pistol grip. It made a world of difference.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

Dont know about Boyds, But Weinig up in Missouri built me a beautiful English walnut stock for my DWM Mauser in 6.5X55 and had it shipped to me completed and rifle ready in less than three weeks.

Very, Very nice work, and the little rifle shoots like a house a fire to boot.

Gunner

I'll look into having him do the stock when the barreled action is done, time and budget, probably gonna be a little while, I've been told that Macon Gunstocks are very nice too, but I've got a while before I have to settle on one.

Mauser Rescue Society

jdi do píči
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by model70man
The laminated Boyd's stocks are very heavy and bulky.

I just put a "Varmint Thumbhole" stock on my Savage 12 and was somewhat displeased at how light it was?, the rifle with bipod only weighs in at about 12#?, and it's not bulky at all as far as I can see?, the length of pull is short, I'm going to put a THICK but pad on it to increase it, and pillars and bedding will happen too.

ASE master certified engine machinist
Truck tech
REDNECK!
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have two of Boyd's walnut stocks. I could not be happier. I bought two seconds. I have one in a short action 700 and one in a long action 700.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cowboy Tim;
Regarding Boyds Walnut blanks, I've worked with exactly one of their stocks when I did a job for a LEO friend's Sargent.

I regret that this gentleman told me the grade he'd purchased and I've forgotten the exact one at this moment, but it was an upgrade. As I recall he also said that they were good to work with and shipped promptly.

Anyway it was on a Model 70 long action and I'd rate the overall inletting as very good, but certainly not a drop in fit.

Here it is when I was done with it and to be clear the maple spacers are per the owner's request.

[Linked Image]

Hopefully that was some use to you sir and good luck with your project whichever way you decide.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the ergonomics of my Boyd's laminate........

The walnut version should be lighter and a bit easier to work with.

My laminate was pretty much a drop in proposition, I did glass bed the barrel and action.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1minute, 160user, 1badf350, 257 mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,326
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.