Print Thread
Hop To
#6484780 05/08/12
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
When did Winchseter offer the BOSS on their M70's? I'm looking for a Classic action to build on and found a decent canidate. The description said it has the MOA trigger and a two position safety, and the rifle has the BOSS on it. So I figure it is a typo on the safety but did Winchester offer the BOSS after the move to SC? I'm not really wanting the MOA trigger if I can help it.

HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If the SC rifles have a BOSS,it's news to me...I thought those were restricted to NH rifles and have not been offered in quite a while.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not put on any SC built rifles. Was discontinued about 4-5 years ago.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
That is what I thought but wanted to be sure. I don't keep up with Winchester rifles as much as I should. I found an awesome deal on a SS WSM rifle but it won't fit my Edge stock.

However, if Karnis hadn't sold me such a damn nice .30-06 M70 FWT I'd already have my donor! I still haven't shot it but everytime I think I want to start on my build I pull it out of the safe hold it for a while and put it right back and then I'm back on the computer looking for a new donor. That rifle has stopped me from ordering a new barrel several times.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by taylorce1
That is what I thought but wanted to be sure. I don't keep up with Winchester rifles as much as I should. I found an awesome deal on a SS WSM rifle but it won't fit my Edge stock.

However, if Karnis hadn't sold me such a damn nice .30-06 M70 FWT I'd already have my donor! I still haven't shot it but everytime I think I want to start on my build I pull it out of the safe hold it for a while and put it right back and then I'm back on the computer looking for a new donor. That rifle has stopped me from ordering a new barrel several times.

Drop THAT in an Edge...use it. You won't need a WSM. smile

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
When did Winchseter offer the BOSS on their M70's? I'm looking for a Classic action to build on and found a decent canidate. The description said it has the MOA trigger and a two position safety, and the rifle has the BOSS on it.
The seller's wrong.. The BOSS was offered only on the NH rifles..
So I figure it is a typo on the safety but did Winchester offer the BOSS after the move to SC? I'm not really wanting the MOA trigger if I can help it.
I wouldn't either - and refuse to buy a M70 that HAS one...

Usually the BOSS rifles can be had cheap - since relatively few people want 'em.. Which is good, 'cause you can round-file the barrel anyway and start with something good.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I would use it in the Edge, but the barrel channel is opened up for a #3 Shilen countour. Plus the rifle Karnis sold me is in a McMillan FWT stock as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That is a nice rig. Ya need to shoot it! whistle

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It is? Oh, well you're all done! Buy components and get that rifle to the range.. smile

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck
Usually the BOSS rifles can be had cheap - since relatively few people want 'em.. Which is good, 'cause you can round-file the barrel anyway and start with something good.. smile

That's my thoughts!

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Big time what Bob said! Run a 168 and it'll basically run and do what the 300 shorty mag will do with a 180. One is never know the diff tween the two nor will the game!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I would use it in the Edge, but the barrel channel is opened up for a #3 Shilen countour. Plus the rifle Karnis sold me is in a McMillan FWT stock as well.

Just one mans opine, but sell the handle and order a Hunters Compact Edge or whatever it's called these days.

Load 165 NPt's, 165 Horns and or 168 NBT's and go forth and fill arks.

Game over, get to hunting the dog balls out of the rig!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I remember seeing the BOSS brakes being sold by themselves
on clearance and nobody seemed to want them. This was probably
10 years ago.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Just one mans opine, but sell the handle and order a Hunters Compact Edge or whatever it's called these days.

Load 165 NPt's, 165 Horns and or 168 NBT's and go forth and fill arks.

Game over, get to hunting the dog balls out of the rig!

Dober

That would be great but I want to run 200-250 AB, PT, Bt's and whatever else falls into that range. Plus I don't want to wait on McMillan to make me the stock. Slap a 2.5-8 with dotz and CDS dial and call it a day.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
When did Winchseter offer the BOSS on their M70's? I'm looking for a Classic action to build on and found a decent canidate. The description said it has the MOA trigger and a two position safety, and the rifle has the BOSS on it. So I figure it is a typo on the safety but did Winchester offer the BOSS after the move to SC? I'm not really wanting the MOA trigger if I can help it.

Sounds like the seler doesn't know what he's talking about. Should be a 3 position safety and the new SC rifles arn't made with the BOSS system. Probably for good reason too...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Big time what Bob said! Run a 168 and it'll basically run and do what the 300 shorty mag will do with a 180. One is never know the diff tween the two nor will the game!

Dober

+1......and this is coming from a hard core 300 wsm fan (dober).....I agree with Dober whole heartedly on this as much as I like my 300 shorties, the 30-06 will definately hold its own against one......plus you get 2 more rounds in the magazine when you are using the ol 06......However, if that rifle you were looking at for a good deal is 300 wsm and SS it would be hard to turn it down.....How much is this "awesome deal" on the SS WSM?????????If you don't mind me asking.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,167
Posts18,503,094
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.