-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Not muzzleloaders per se, but definitely from that neck of the woods....

Here they are, as purchased, actually usable as-is.

[Linked Image]

But what things are usually done re: the handle to achieve a finished-looking weapon?

Thanks,

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Blood stains help...

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
personally i dont do anything with mine past putting an edge on them . the reason is that they are throwing hawks and are hand forged .so i leave them just as they are
if you use them for any time , the handles will begin to slide down into the head more ..
Chance are also great that your handles wont last long . Either your going to break them or someone else will break them for you with their hawk .

None of that stops them from being useful as a camp axe . Though for the most part they are alittle light for that type of work

But if your goal is to use them as a display type �what IF � gear , then you have the wrong type of hawk to start with . But you could shape the handles , do some inlays , stain them ��.

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Blood stains help...

Already got that covered with respect to our moccassins, the buttons on our clothes, and our tarps...

...but I dunno if there's anything associated with these 'hawks that also requires me to pick up a needle and thread grin

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
None of that stops them from being useful as a camp axe . Though for the most part they are alittle light for that type of work

Thanks for the info, these are mostly "users" and not for display.

Birdwatcher

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just split some fire wood, throw em' at a hawk block or two, lift a trap, and call that good.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
watch patriot and last of the mohicans ...

paul foreman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You "could" wrap string around the wooden shafts & set fire to the string, then apply some stock finish over the "stains" for a less plain look.

Drill the lower end of the haft for a leather thong with or w/o feather(s).

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Thanks for the info, these are mostly "users" and not for display.

Birdwatcher

if thats the case , then save yourself the time and leave them just as they are . If you use them as they are intended to be used , the handles will not last . Especially if you get into hawk throwing games .

If your just starting out , you will be hitting the handle on the ground a lot . After a while that causes a crack to form . Then it will start to split .
that�s when you get to decorate your handle . Most use Eel skins �black electrical tape � or silver snake � duct tape � .
Then after a while even that wont hold the handle together .

When you get into the hawk and knife games , the most common rule for score at events is steel on steel . That means you throw either your hawk or knife first . That has to be left in the target while you throw your next item . So a lot of times a person ends up taking chunks out of their handles with their knives . OR Robin Hooding the hawk handle with the knife . Which by the way , happens more times then you would think .
Also your going to be learning to throw not only full turn , but turn and � as well as longer distance , which sometimes means 2 turns . Again costing you handles

Another game often played is called handles . Basically it consists of a small target like a bottle cap or a cleaning patch , that�s placed on a hawk block . Each player pays a small fee to enter . Which then becomes the prize pot . Other times if drinking is involved , then a bottle of something , becomes the prize . The game continues tell someone cuts the target and thus wins
To win , you must cut the target and have your hawk stick in the block . BUT if you miss , your hawk stays where it falls and the next player throws .
How many players ???? Well the only set rule that I know of is that you need at least 2 .
I have thrown in contests with as high as 9 players ..
But normally if you enter into games with higher numbers of players , you better have a ready supply of handles available as they will get chopped up rather quick .
Most venders usually have a stock pile of different sizes and head angles at events and for the most part the larger handles only run 2-3 dollars

Myself I have both they hawks you have . The one on the left , I throw . Its paid for itself in prize money , time and time again . The one on the right my wife likes . She has done will with hers .

Now don�t get me wrong here . Im not trying to make it seem like your going to be going through 3 or 4 handles every time you go out . For that mater a handle every time you go out .
Sometimes you will at least at first ..
Right now in my hawk I have a handle that�s lasted me all year . Its highly decorated with silver snake and eel skins . Ist also split to the point that I can feel the handle flex when I throw it LOL .
It will most likely get used for fire wood here shortly at a blue butt event .

Anyway . Just have fun with your throwing hawks . don�t worry to much what the handles look like for a hawk handle life is short and dramatic wink

[Linked Image]
T
TOC Offline
T
I wrapped mine with paracord and artificial sinew and I use it for deer hunting. It is for cutting through the sternum and pelvis in deer, and cutting down small brush for shooting lanes. It is WAY more efficient than just trying to use a knife, and doesn't really weigh much. The paracord gives a little bigger grip to hold, and would be good for emergencies. Plus it holds the head up near the top of the handle tight.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 17 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.