-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What is the money on a SS Rem 700 muzzleloader? I see 1 on gunbroker but the guy is pretty proud of it and I doubt these bring the kind of $$ he wants.

And what is so hard about cleaning them? I have read that you guys that have them say there real accurate but some bitch about cleaning. Is it the bolt that is hard to clean or what?

Thanks

PP

Last edited by passport; 10/23/09.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Holy cow. That price is ridiculous. I was thinking 250-300 for one in new condition.

I have that exact rifle. I take apart the bolt after each shooting/hunting session. The hardest parts to clean are the breech plug/nipple and the bolt. Those small parts require a brush and elbow grease to clean properly. It takes about 45 minutes to clean the whole thing. The barrel cleans up fast and easy. A screw-in bore guide is supplied with the rifle and it keeps all the clean fluids out of the trigger. Also, if you are planning to scope the 700, the scope will get powder residue from blowback and it must be wiped off too.

My recommendation is to get one but NOT the one on GB.

RH

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks himmelrr, I found one locally and the price is in the area you quoted, I have not seen the gun but after what I hear from you guys I want one.

Other than the bore guide what else comes with the gun?

Thanks

PP

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've dealt with a couple of the 700MLs and while they are descently accurate, the blow back is bad, they have a terrible ignition system, primer doesn't seal(open nipple), and they are harder to clean than a break action.

I'd take the same money and buy a Omega or Triumph. Much more accurate IME, much easier to clean, better triggers, much better ignition, and no blow back.

I'd buy a cheap CVA Optima before I even considered a 700ML and I'm a die hard Remington fan.

Good Luck

loder

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Forgot to mention that they were closing out the stainless/syn 700MLs for $200 at Bass pro a few years back. Even at that price, I passed.

loder

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by passport

Other than the bore guide what else comes with the gun?

Thanks

PP

A couple of screw-in ramrod tips , a rod extension, and T handle all for cleaning. I replaced the oem sights with Williams fiber optic sights and use a musket cap nipple. Once my musket caps are gone, I'll get a 209 primer kit. Other than that, it is stock. The trigger is the standard 700 trigger so you can replace it or adjust it if desired.

I shoot 348gr Power belts with 110gr of Pyrodex Select. Just like the mucket caps, once they are done I'll switch to Triple 7 or something similar.

RH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had my Rem. smoke pole for I'd say 8 or 10 year's. It's all stock except for the 209 conversion kit. It is very accurate. It does'nt take any more time to clean than my Encore. In my opinion they are good muzzle loader's. My don't have enough blow by to worry about it. Just my .02.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine went down the road. Wonderfully accurate and more than just a bit of a pain to clean compared to today's removable breech rifles.

Also, fellers that claim it's no less work to clean the Remington compared to something else, aren't taking the bolt apart. grin

psssssttt - buy the Triumph.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The bolt's aren't difficult to take apart. I cleaned my bolt every third or forth time I'd have it out shooting and never had any problem. The only issue I had with mine was when I was in Kansas on a mulie hunt and had some non fire's with the precusion cap so when I got back I put the 209 conversion kit on it and never had any mis-fire's after that..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
poleman-

When it's ML time in this neck of the woods (not unlike your climate) it gets super crappy and oftentimes brutally cold. There's just too much stuff going on internally (with regards to the bolt) for my tastes to give the Remington the thumbs up. Once outside, it either stayed in a shed etc. (with no heat) or it was completely disassembled each night because I couldn't trust the condensation factor with the bolt. The spring and the pin aren't as strong as a CF rifle. I had my firing pin freeze once (JUST ONCE) in a sleet storm with a high 140's buck walking 60 yards in front of me. It only took the once for me to seek alternative ML's.... laugh

For many, climate isn't a factor, in many of the places I hunt it certainly is, I just no longer suffer the lingering doubt if my ML will go "boom." There are better hammers for that nail with today's ML's - there IS a reason they quit producing the 700. *grins*

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I understand what your saying. I just haven't personally had hardly any problem's with mine beside's the pre. cap. Once muzzle season started I would leave mine in a un-heated garage for the whole season. I haven't used it since I've been in Montana. All my hunting with it has been in Michigan so I would say the climate's are close to the same. Mine has alway's been very accurate so them are the kind's of gun's I try to keep around. Just my .02, mileage may vary.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 48 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,065
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.