Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Shopping for better rates for car insurance. Any one have USAA car insurance, and know how there rates compare.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm with State Farm and have 3 vehicles with full coverage insured through them. Runs me about $195 a month, USAA couldn't beat it and neither could go Geico.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do we move to Alaska to be free?

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have never found USAA to be the cheapest around but, when called upon, their service is outstanding. In over 30 years with USAA I have had only four claims - three vehicle & one home break-in ... they were fantastic to deal with. Honorable firm in an industry not known for its integrity.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was last living in Alaska, I insured with GIECO, I paid 189 for six months at a time. It was an older truck but I thought it was a great price, since I also carried insurance on a car I had in Connecticut.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
I have never found USAA to be the cheapest around but, when called upon, their service is outstanding. In over 30 years with USAA I have had only four claims - three vehicle & one home break-in ... they were fantastic to deal with. Honorable firm in an industry not known for its integrity.

Spot on and pretty much my exact experience, albeit for only 25 years. USAA might not be the cheapest, but I know if I have to make a claim I won't be jerked around.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We shopped around earlier this year for home/car insurance. USAA was comparabe, but not the cheapest.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
i work in insurance. saving $20 a month does NOT make up for a claim not being paid or someone mishandling your account.

also, know what you're buying. progressive, for instance, is now writing homes with no coverage on the roof. sure, it's cheaper than what i sell. wonder why....lol

or the "can my 17 year old grandson drive my car" question. my "more expensive" policy covers that but a lot of carriers would not tell you that they do NOT cover that and if he or she had an accident it's not covered and then you go to jail for having a "vehicle that's not covered" due to that accident not being covered. the state sees it the same as not having insurance at all.

the good ones i know of are state farm and usaa and everyone else is pretty far behind.

worth every damn dime to ask questions.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Shopping for better rates for car insurance. Any one have USAA car insurance, and know how there rates compare.

I know that for me and the family, my USAA rates were cheaper than State Farm (which is where the wife insured before she became the missus). I do know and can tell you that USAA won't give you the $50 rock-chip-in-my-windshield cheapies that you see advertised outside.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
pretty much any place won't do that. dunno why every damn glass place says that.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
USAA is the best insurance you can get, but you need to have a military connection to be eligible. They handle my auto and homeowners and have never let me down. Their prices are reasonable and what few claims I've had were handled very well.

"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency."
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Dogballs
USAA is the best insurance you can get, but you need to have a military connection to be eligible. They handle my auto and homeowners and have never let me down. Their prices are reasonable and what few claims I've had were handled very well.

Same here. I've been with them now for over 40 years and have seen no reason to change.

Retired cat herder.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yes you have to be military, or your parents who were military and had a USAA policy, then kids are eligible who were not military. Can,t even get a quote unless you are in the system. On car insurance.

USAA life insurance is great,available to anyone, as it is non commission, most life insurance is commission based and that is where your initial premiums go to the agent!

Last edited by kk alaska; 10/21/12.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just stick with Geico. They were pretty clost to USAA and a lot cheaper than sate farm. ' sides I like paying 4 months and having 2 months off. It's a moot point for me right now anyway, since my wife hit the bright red truck with flashy lights and a cool ladder my rates went up. Those fire dept boys are proud of there trucks, wow.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am in the insurance industry and spent last week at a national conference of insurance executives from around the country. USAA was considered the gold standard for service by virtually everyone in attendance. When they are considered that highly by the competition it says something, I think. And, I have my personal insurance with USAA.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
yup. i'm with state farm and if i were in the military i'd likely switch

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been using USAA for 15 years, and my wife for at least 20 years. Incredible service.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JimR
USAA was considered the gold standard for service by virtually everyone in attendance.

I've been with USAA since I was a midshipman in NROTC since my Dad was career Army. Almost 38 years now. I call them up and say "I need..." and they say "Done" before I can even finish. Their customer service is what keeps me even if one rate somewhere may beat them by a McBuck.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've been reading this with strong interest...We have had good service by a local agent, who is also attached to Boy Scouts here in town as are we...

However a family friend has kept pushing for us to convert to USAA... but that has been countered by my folks have been with them for like 50 plus years and they just dropped them, because they got cheaper quotes... they live in So Calif, so who knows... plus they have never had to have a claim... so they don't know about customer service with brand X...

My son is just in the beginning stages of where Scorpion8 was 38 years ago.. Midshipman to be in the near future... USAA offered us a policy for him, that I have never seen elsewhere...

it is called a Non Owner's Policy...it's his insurance and it covers any car he may drive...( sure most of us have insurance on a car, that is covered with other drivers... but his coverage kicks in first, and then when that hits its limits, the car owners coverage begins..) basic rates were $135 for 6 months for him being 18.... however for another $40 every 6 months, his policy has like 1/2 million dollar coverage with ALL the options..

the agent was trying to talk us out of needing that high of coverage, based on he doesn't have that much in assets for anyone to take... however, I didn't listen, because the dramatic increase we get in coverage for the extra 40 bucks is night and day....

My family has resisted switching over, based on loyalty to our local agent, not the company that insures us, although their rates are pretty low, even lower that USAA.. and it is a good company....

I did have to test their customer service recently on some vandalism to my truck by a transient at Walmart.. they were quick, but admitted they were orientated to try and low ball the repairs.. ( eg: looking for a fender in the bone yard for $50, vs an aftermarket new one for $55.00)

I think tho, reading the posts on the thread here.... you guys have pushed me off the fence...to change coverage for me and the wife... so a Big Thank You...

I've been debating this who think for the last 6 months.. traditionally I have always been a loyal customer to people I do business with, and don't change companies, just to save $2.00 a month like many folks I know...

Jim R's post had to be the tie breaker tho! can't get anymore reliable than a statement like that!!!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Seafire
Jim R's post had to be the tie breaker tho! can't get anymore reliable than a statement like that!!!

It is a tough decision. All companies off discounts and rates are generally competitive. But in a lot of cases you get what you pay for. Customer service has won my loyalty to USAA and I rarely have ever had a reason to file claims, maybe twice in the last 20-years. But when you do, it is handled professionally, courtesously, quickly and completely. I'll pay a little bit extra for that in my insurance.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 1minute, 257 roberts, 60 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,191
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.