Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
My wife and I got married in Anchorage 15 years ago in late October, made our way down to Homer and fished along the way. The weather was tough and fishing was slow, too rough to go out for halibut but we had a great time. Went back five years later in August and made the same trip but stayed a few days in Cooper Landing and fished the Russian then down to Homer for halibut. The fishing was good, I think maybe a bit late for kings in the Kenai but we caught reds and halibut.

We want to go back this year, most likely in August again and fishing is first on the list. What will be going on that time of year or should we plan to go a bit earlier? We will rent a car in Anchorage and drive to Homer, maybe stay in Soldotna along the way. Thanks. By the way, seeing every one else on the Russian with either a shotgun loaded with slugs, a large bore hand gun or both and the giant bear "tunnels" through the under growth added to the, uh, excitment!

Golden............
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you are there mid to late Aug you should stay in Soldotna and fish the middle Kenai for a silver/rainbow trip.Should be decent fishing by then.Really need a guide(or local with boat) for this though.Earlier in Aug you might catch the red run but kind of depends on the year.

You can PM me if you have any other questions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go out of Seward for silvers and halibut and possibly lings too but but i'm not sure when the season for them closes. Maybe do a salmon shark charter out of Valdez while you're here.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A combo silver/butt trip out of Seward is worth the effort, and lings will also be in season. Just check to see when the silver salmon derby is scheduled as all the good charters will be booked solid, hopefully your trip doesn't co-incide with the derby.

Lingcod season is July 1st to December 31st. Also lings throw a curve fishing Seward in regards to your salmon limits. You can take 6 salmon in the bay, but only 3 outside of the bay. Most halibut fishing is done outside the bay so depending on the captain and tides often they stop to get everyone their 3 salmon on the way out of the bay, then head for halibut. Trouble is if a ling is retained outside the bay (you can't take them in the bay) then you are not allowed to do any fishing when heading back into the bay.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thank you all, looking foward to it whatever we do. Always good things to eat and lots of great coffee!

Golden............
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
If you get to the KP give me a call. I'll try to round up some of the local ne'er do wells.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
If you get to the KP give me a call. I'll try to round up some of the loco ne'er do wells.

You rang?

bhtr

ps. "fixed it for ya!"

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
458 Lott: Wow! Could you come down to Oregon and help me with our regs? I got lost when I left the bay.

1Minute
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
If you get to the KP give me a call. I'll try to round up some of the loco ne'er do wells.

You rang?

bhtr

ps. "fixed it for ya!"

Look! There's one now!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
grin grin grin

Golden............
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by bearhuntr

You rang?

bhtr

ps. "fixed it for ya!"

Look! There's one now!

Be afraid. Be very AFRAID. laugh

[Linked Image]

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Maroons, I tell ya!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Thanks for that Dave.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A trip out of Seward for salmon and halibut would be fun and worth checking out. I'm not sure what charter boats to recommend or who to avoid, but someone here should be able to know. I'd like to make that trip myself this year.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by bearstalker
A trip out of Seward for salmon and halibut would be fun and worth checking out. I'm not sure what charter boats to recommend or who to avoid, but someone here should be able to know. I'd like to make that trip myself this year.

Book - Cracker Jack
Avoid - Saltwater Safaris

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DownWind
Originally Posted by bearstalker

Book - Cracker Jack
Avoid - Saltwater Safaris

Yep, though I speak only from fishing with Cracker Jack. I avioded the other after a good friend of mine had a bad experience with them.

My opinion is go only on a six pack boat. Not one of their 40ft'rs (12-14 fishermen)

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

692 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,183 guests, and 1,411 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,480
Posts18,471,781
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.