Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
JB,

I enjoyed your Article on Bonded Bullets in this month�s HandLoader�

It did leave me with one question�

Deep Curls� how do they rate compared to Accubonds for strength�

I know you said they open wide and that limits penetration�

How would they hold up when striking heavy bone?

Thanks

T

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
DeepCurls have much thinner jackets than AccuBonds, about like cup-and-core bullets, so probabloy wouldn't hold up as well against heavy bone.

Glad you liked the article!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've got to re-read it before I have anything meaningful to say - but I must say that in comparison the 33-35 article the middle kept me reading and engaged. Also had my dad read it as I switched him from partitions to accubonds this year. He is truly not as much of a rifle loony as some of us I guess. He just kinda grunted after reading it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Aletheuo
I've got to re-read it before I have anything meaningful to say - but I must say that in comparison the 33-35 article the middle kept me reading and engaged. Also had my dad read it as I switched him from partitions to accubonds this year. He is truly not as much of a rifle loony as some of us I guess. He just kinda grunted after reading it.

Maybe your dad has been happy with the performance of his Partitions and thus sees no reason to change. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Aletheuo

Let's you pick his bullets and grunts at magazines...He may need to see a physician.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You guys are funny. I think it is two fold.
Firstly, Dad is not very academic (read - enjoys L'amour more than Barsness any day and the article was likely quite a slog for him).
Secondly, during the offseason, Greydog helped us discover that his trusty BSA Featherweight has a pitted bore that was causing major accuracy issues (I'll apply UBC to this one when I get hold of some and see if that helps - otherwise it'll get rebarreled). He bought a new Tikka to deal with this issue so he is feeling confident with the equipment now. So, in conclusion, he would say that it doesn't matter what bullet the gunwriters write about: if you can't put the bullet where it belongs, it doesn't matter what you fling at 'em.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Have not read the article, but I have seen enough of JBs posts to know that I pretty much agree with him 100% on his choice of bullets.
However,I pretty well use Noslers, both partition, balistic tips and Accubonds, Woodleighs, Northforks and GS Customs, with a few exceptions like the Speer 130 and 145 gr. hotcores in my 7x57, and the 220 Round nose Sierras and Noslers in my Win. M-95 SRC 30-06.

There sure are a lot of good bullets out there today and that says a lot for the bullet makers, it hasn't always been that way. I can remember when bullet failure as we describe it was pretty much the rule.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (11point, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 3,041 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,582
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.