-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I had a bunch of .270 Win. handloads that I didn't have any idea what the loads were. So I pulled the bullets, recharged them and seated 140 grain Sierra Game Kings.
Some of the bullets seated quite snugly, but others took very little effort to seat.
I bought a Lee factory crimp die and I was thinking of setting it up to just put a bit of a grip on the bullets. The Game Kings don't have a cannelure so I wasn't planning to try and make it bite into the bullet, just snug them up enough to make sure they don't move in the magazine during recoil.
What do you say? Is this a good idea?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crimp half of them, shoot them all, and tell us what you find out.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Should be snug enuf just seated without any crimp,last I knew nobody makes a tube feed 270. Like Youper says time for you to bench test them for accuracy so you can see what you been doing to your loads, improving or degrading them accuracy wise. good luck. Magnum Man

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Magnum Man
Bullets can move in the case from recoil in a box magazine if they are not snug in the neck

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BobnRoy257_b4_Bob257AI
Magnum Man
Bullets can move in the case from recoil in a box magazine if they are not snug in the neck

Yes, that could happen,but when is the last time you have seen it? Did you think to question whether your dies were right or that you might do more than a partial neck size? My 338 Win Mag and 35 Whelen both have noticeable recoil yet I haven't seen them move yet. What specific cartridge are you talking about ? I've never had any 270's move from inertia or battering in my M700's.Magnum Man

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CaneSlinger,

That is an excellent use for the Lee Factory Crimp Die

Without a cannelure the die will give you a nice, consistent taper crimp. You determine how much crimp you want by turning the die in and out slightly to get the right feel.

If you look at how the die is made, truly elegant in its simplicity, you will see that it can only crimp so much. Lee claims that it won't crimp enough to damage most un-cannelured bullets. I know I never have, but I haven't tried to. I put a mild to moderate crimp with the Lee dies on almost all of my centerfire loads.

I am usually not worried about bullets moving in the magazine, but I do believe that Lee crimping gives me more consistent neck tension. I see no downside to Lee crimping at all, except the little bit of work for the extra step.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just pulling bullets and re-seating different bullets without resizing the neck would certainly reduce neck tension and it seems reasonable that some would be loose enough to move in the magazine.

The Lee Crimp Die will fix that.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks.
I'll give it a whirl. I've never had a problem with bullets moving in the box magazine of my BAR, but some of them did seat with very little pressure.
I thought, if nothing else, it would make the neck tension more consistent.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The crimp die may keep the bullets from moving but I expect you will see unusually high SD and ES due to varying neck tension and the resulting varying friction over the entire gripping length of the neck.

That being said sometimes a rifle and cartridge does exactly what it wants to do no matter what I expect.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Originally Posted by BobnRoy257_b4_Bob257AI
Magnum Man

Yes, that could happen,but when is the last time you have seen it? Did you think to question whether your dies were right or that you might do more than a partial neck size? My 338 Win Mag and 35 Whelen both have noticeable recoil yet I haven't seen them move yet. What specific cartridge are you talking about ? I've never had any 270's move from inertia or battering in my M700's.Magnum Man

I've seen them move in cartridges as small as the .257 Roberts. I have a bad habit of single feeding a new cartridge on top of a magazine that's full. By doing that I can have a round in the magazine through 10-15 shots. Trust me, an uncrimped bullet will move on you if you leave it there through 10-15 shots. Try it and see, you might not be able to detect it with your eyes but stick the calipers on them an it'll become obvious. I have lee factory crimp dies for all my bolt rifles now.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Just pulling bullets and re-seating different bullets without resizing the neck would certainly reduce neck tension and it seems reasonable that some would be loose enough to move in the magazine

Sound Advice right there.

[quote=CaneSlinger]
Some of the bullets seated quite snugly, but others took very little effort to seat. (quote]

You do have inconsistent neck tension. If the Lee die doesn't fix it AND/OR your accuracy is off, it may take resizing to get the consistent tension needed.

Good Luck

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I didn't start handloading until about 1993, by which time the Lee Factory Crimp Die was available. Since then, I have crimped every cartridge I loaded, no exceptions. I generally use cannelured bullets (Hornadys and CoreLokts, mostly) but have found that crimping uncannelured bullets does not create a problem. Given that only a quarter of my ammo is for tube-fed levers, the crimp is not generally necessary.....but it's also not detrimental.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 3,118 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,881
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.