Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Arac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Do any of you use inflatable kayaks or canoes for hunting? It looks like AIRE make good, although pricey products. Saturn is a company out of Korea, I think, and they have a couple of models that are priced quite well, as does SeaEscape, but the latter has only 10" tubes. What other options do you suggest?

I'd mainly use it on lakes and fairly calm rivers, and would like something that is easy to paddle and suitable for two people.

Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Another Option...

Pak Boat

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The saturn rafts are quality inflatables. I wish I had discovered them when I was in Alaska. My wife bought one this winter (I'm more of a traditional mad river canoe guy) and we used it a few times already this year and like it. She uses it in lakes with a trolling motor and it does well. I hope to take it down a few streams/rivers with just the oars. Its definetly the quality of the zodiacs I used to run in Prince William Sound but for much less $. Ours is a 14' Kaboat.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm more of a Canoe guy myself, I even been know to add a little horse power to mine in the form of a 10 hp Johnson Outboard. My thing would be the leaks and holes from use at the most inconvenient time. How durable are they these days?

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The leaks Ive had in much used Zodiacs were slow. Meaning in a week long hunt, I might have to add air 2 times or so. All the inflatable areas are chambered, so even in a catrosophic tear your odds of sinking are slight. Still not fun to be sitting in the drink. I always carry a patch kit and try not to drag it over rocks when landing, etc.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

Arac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've had several Bombard and Zodiac made inflatables (same company) and have not had problems with leaks/punctures. They are actually pretty tough. But that is one of the reasons I want a decent quality inflatable kayak/canoe - I don't want it to spring a leak from being looked at sideways. Also one of the things I like about them is load carrying capacity and stability with a heavy load.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have never hunted out of one as I live in Colorado and the water here is sparse compared to your locale.
I have a Aire Lynx II that paddles big and small water all the same. I have run some class IV rapids in it and it is fun, have paddled it in calm water and it tracks well.
It will hold two folks with plenty of room and some room for storage/cooler, etc.
If you are in CO, you are welcome to give it a shot and paddle it around.

Keep Smiling
Arac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the offer JonS. Unfortunately I have no plans to be in your neck of the woods any time soon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I drew a sheep tag last year on the Salmon river and used my Kayak for my hunt.

The ferocious fires down there pretty much sealed my fate for my sheep (glassing was all but impossible) but I did take a mule deer late in the season. A young 4X4 buck but fine eater.
Paddling down the crazy Salmon with a muley stuffed into my kayak was an exciting thing, I got a few simulated high-fives from drivers on the road.

I have two inflatables....top quality Innova helios...and would consider renting them out cheaply this Fall to interested guys.
They just sit in the storage shed anyway.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by broomd; 05/24/13.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
SOAR Pioneer or Pristine Ventures X-stream. Motorized: Alaska Jet Ranger with 25/18 jet lower unit

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.yostwerks.com/index.html

Folding Kayaks are a viable option.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I used a Folbot for forty years and it is a GREAT boat for remote river and lake hunting. Now that I am disabled I gave it to a dad who wanted to take his 16 year old daughter hunting down the Susquehanna River here in Pennsylvania. I'm hoping that his grand-kids are still carrying quarterted deer down river to an assembly point as I did for almost a half-century.

They are NOT cheap, but they actually will last a ifetime - or more!

Terry

Arac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
bluesman - I am all gimped up so I need a soft side to sit on when I am getting into the boat - read: inflatable.

Lots of good tips on stuff though.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (007FJ, 222Sako, 10ring1, 219DW, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,113
Posts18,502,311
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.