Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Was a fly on the wall the other night, while 2 gents debated "shock /knock down" power, or myth of said power.
#1 party said he uses heavier bullits for the additional knock down umph, superior to lighter projectiles.
#2 says physics state every action has an equal but oppisite reaction, thus the prey feels aprox on impact what you feel in your shoulder via recoil.
I had enough sense to stay the hell out, and remaim a fly on the wall, but got my curiosity going. How much validity do you gave shock power?

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very little. I put the bullet in a place where the animal will not run off and live. They may still run off, but they usually leave lots of blood and are pretty easy to find. I tend to use heavy for caliber bullets, but I'm shooting mostly factory cup and core bullets and feel that I'm better off with heavier bullets of this construction.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'll be a fly on the wall as well, but atleast I'll have my popcorn....

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can guarantee that contestant #2 has never been shot.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think that the nock imparts any energy at all; it's just there to keep the arrow on the string.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
+1

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458Win

I've never been shot either. Do tell.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I don't think that the nock imparts any energy at all; it's just there to keep the arrow on the string.

Was thinking the same thing...and it shouldn't matter if the nock is down.....or up.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Course...gettin' nocked up is entirely different....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We talkin 'bout the thing on the butt end of an arrow?

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hmmmmmm, What's gonna leave a bigger mark a Chevy Aveo at 80 MPH or a Peterbilt tanker truck at 65 MPH when it hits something? The only way a lighter, smaller bullet can make up for size is velocity combined with quality construction.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

Nope, ethnic slurs...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Use a 338 Lapua Mag and it wont matter

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Ingwe's talking about the after effects of when an arrow penetrates the target.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I have

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's funny how a misspelled word can lead to endless blather. whistle

But I think Phil nailed it pretty well.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 03/04/12.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The one thing that the original poster said I have to take a little harder look at. The animal feels the same recoil as the shooter, due to physics. First the shooter has the mass of the rifle and size of the recoil area to slow then disperse the recoil. Second we add the adzorbing power of the material in the recoil pad and the fact that the excess gasses leave the barrel behind the bullet. It is another thing when the bulllet and gasses cannot escape the barrel, but that is another story.

Momentum of the rifle is slowed by it's extra mass as compared to the mass of the bullet and the velocity it travels...an object at rest stays at rest unless acted upon by a force. The bullet is accerated up to it's speed, say 2800 fps, the stock due to it's mass, 150 grain bullet vs @ 52,500 grains to a 7.5 pound rifle, the velocity of the stock is much less (thank god) so we get a push or a slap or next to no recoil depending on the round fired. Could you imagine the "knock down" power of a 7.5 pound rifle at 2800 fps? Talk about a dangerous game gun.

To sum it up, I would much rather be on the rifle side of the equation, than the bullet side. Even with the diminutive .223, which some feel is inadequate for anything but small varmints, is a destructive force to be respected with out to hundreds yards yet leaves the rifle with a gentle push to the shooter. No matter what anyone says about it, there are mountains of dead game and combatants that this diminutive round has taken with ease. I do not think the rifle firing it has taken any lives due to it's recoil forces.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by oldotter
Was a fly on the wall the other night, while 2 gents debated "shock /knock down" power, or myth of said power.
#1 party said he uses heavier bullits for the additional knock down umph, superior to lighter projectiles.
#2 says physics state every action has an equal but oppisite reaction, thus the prey feels aprox on impact what you feel in your shoulder via recoil.
I had enough sense to stay the hell out, and remaim a fly on the wall, but got my curiosity going. How much validity do you gave shock power?

If you want knock down power , then forget a rifle and use your truck , this is the only way to get real knock down power on the spot. The only reason any animal drops right there is a brain , spine or i should say nervous system shutdown from the bullet, other wise the brain will need a few min's to run out of O2 and a deer or other big game animal can cover a few yards before this happens. They are dead while running but just don't know it.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I have

Go on...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter

Ingwe's talking about the after effects of when an arrow penetrates the target.

Or many little bitty aroows finding their mark. grin grin

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,200
Posts18,503,641
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.