Clay Harvey

Rick Hacker

?????????

Jeff

GB1

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick Hacker has a column in Shooting Times, I believe...

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was thinking Jamison still wrote for Shooting Times, but I could be wrong.

`Bring Enough Gun`
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by KDK
Rick Hacker has a column in Shooting Times, I believe...

He also writes for the NRA publication "Shooting Illustrated."

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jamison hasn't written for any gun magazine that I know of since his lawsuit over the WSM rounds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jamison hasn't written for any gun magazine that I know of since his lawsuit over the WSM rounds.

Is that because he does not need to?

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, I have heard through the grapevine that he doesn't really need the money, but have also heard from one editor that Rick asked if he could write for him. The editor said sorry, no, because the magazine would lose too many of its advertisers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Clay Harvey had a not so graceful exit in his gunwriting career.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Followed a link from Ken Howell in one of the old threads and bought Jamison's coyote book. I'd buy any new books. If the magazine market is more or less closed there's the web and book be it eBook or paper.

Sad to see the mechanics that demand a no. One formerly famous gun writer in somewhat - somewhat but far from exactly - the same circumstances was active on the web for a while but seems to have lost interest long ago.

IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by moosemike

"not so graceful exit" as in, "Run outta town."

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by moosemike

"not so graceful exit" as in, "Run outta town."

I tried to put it nicely. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess it is a good thing he does not need the money then.......Wonder if we will ever know the details of the suit?

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I have heard through the grapevine that he doesn't really need the money, but have also heard from one editor that Rick asked if he could write for him. The editor said sorry, no, because the magazine would lose too many of its advertisers.

FWIW � before the Winchester imbroglio, a mutual friend told me that Rick's fourth wife was an heiress worth millions. I don't know any details or confirmation.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Please see if she has a sister that is available.. email me.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

He's written at least one article for Shooting TImes in the last 2-3 years. It was about the 22 magnum if my memory is right.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Because advertisers money is the name of the game. God forbid the magazine should actually be invested in the ostensible purpose for which it is written.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
What do you think is the ostensible reason a magazine is written?

Unless published by some organization such as the NRA, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation or AARP, or as a hobby, magazines are written to make money. And even the organizational magazines are run to make money, or at least not to lose money. Money is the same reason most stuff is produced, whether magazines, TV shows, cars, lawn sprinklers or pre-torn jeans for teenagers.

Magazines make money in two ways: subscriptions and advertising. The bigger the magazine, more of its money is made by advertising. The biggest magazines, in fact, basically break even on subscriptions, charging only enough to print and mail copies, making their profit by advertising.

Whether a magazine's advertising decides the editorial content is another thing. Some magazines constantly run ad-driven articles, but from what I've seen this eventually affects their circulation, since ad-driven articles drive some readers away. Since advertising rates are based on circulation numbers, in the long run running a lot of ad-driven editorial content loses money.

I know very successful gun writers who left ad-driven magazines because they couldn't stand writing ad-driven articles (or as some people in the business call them, "adverwhorials"). But most gun magazines want to provide real information to their readers, because that keeps readers coming back--and thus keeps advertising rates up.

If you don't like the articles in some magazines, or articles by some writers, then don't read them. But don't assume every article in every gun magazine is an adverwhorials, because they aren't, not by a long shot.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Wait...

Me and about a dozen other guys "invented" the 260 about 2 years before Carmichael did. We found out that high BC bullets in a 6.5 made for a really good "match rifle" chambering

Can I sue him?

Or should I stomp around and pout until somebody tells me to shut the [bleep] up?

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is nothing wrong with anybody in a business making a profit. With out a profit there would be no business. You think we would have computers and internet and this forum to post our thought and all the wonderful sniper rifles, or was young ladies we like? When did making a profit become something sinful? If the people didn't make a profit, then would be no need for me to fly them around.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (007FJ, 160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.