Print Thread
Hop To
P
PAndy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I am in need of a stainless bolt gun for deer hunting. Tired of fussing over my old blued/walnut stuff on bad days. Can I use a laminated wood stock for this purpose with confidence, or should I stay with a synthetic stock? I realize the laminate wood is heavier...thinking more about the stock staying straight and holding up long term.
Thanks

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't like the *TINK* sounds that come from swivels on synthetic stocks.
Been packing Boyds laminate stocks in all manner of Idaho/Washington crap weather for a very long time. I've never had any issues with them.
YMMV

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I've used both; the laminated is considerably heavier than a fiberglass stock. Both are excellent, but I prefer the synthetic.

By the way, I've used paracord "swivels" for many, many years ... no clunk and they do not fail.

kd

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by PAndy
I am in need of a stainless bolt gun for deer hunting. Tired of fussing over my old blued/walnut stuff on bad days. Can I use a laminated wood stock for this purpose with confidence, or should I stay with a synthetic stock? I realize the laminate wood is heavier...thinking more about the stock staying straight and holding up long term.
Thanks

Synthetic is care free.

Laminate is less care free.

Regular wood is lesser care free than laminate.

Synthetic always wins.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Swivels argument is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, I tried laminate stocks years ago when the newer synthetics were thick and "clubby". Both of the "finished" laminate stocks that I tried were heavy and "clubby"as well, but a friend who is an accomplished stock maker reshaped and refinished them for me. However, he declined to checker them, as he did not like the way they took the cutting tools.

As soon as Pacific Research stocks appeared at the second SHOT show that I attended, I started using them on semi-custom rifles, even on most of the blued ones. I have had a couple of Weatherbys with the factory synthetics that worked OK, but replaced the factory stocks on a couple of others with Rimrocks (the Pacific Research stock after Jim Borden bought them out). I have also made up a couple of light rifles using Remington Mountain Rifle barreled actions bedded in original TI stocks.

One of these days, I will probably have a rifle that will have to have a McMillan Edge, and I would dearly love to have one of the Echols classics. About the only laminate I would consider today would be one of the Serengetis or whatever it is they are called these days...

Last edited by mudhen; 12/27/13.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I couldn't tell you if laminates are as stable as synthetics or not. They're stable enough.

What I'd look at is how the additional weight of the laminated stock affects the balance of the rifle. That varies from gun to gun and with the preference of each shooter. I would also look at whether you want a bit more weight for managing recoil or less weight for ease of packing.

If you're worried about weather, I'd try a Remington 700 XCR II. I prefer the stuck that comes on them to any other factory synthetic. You could add a factory laminate later if you wish.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The only reason to chose laminate over synthetic is cost. The synthetics are better in every way. The laminates will be a little more weather resistant, but not in the same league as even the cheapest Tupperware stocks.

The Boyds laminates are decent stocks for around $100 if weight isn't an issue. Even a cheap synthetic from B&C is around $250, but those are pretty heavy too. A standard weight McMillan is $500+ now. They are good stocks, but no lighter than factory.

The factory synthetics can often be found for around $50 and are very much under rated. Lots of guys turn their nose up at them, but I've found most shoot as well as anything else. I have 3 rifles in Edge stocks, because I like them. Never claimed they made my rifles any more accurate. They are the most expensive, but also the lightest and worth the cost to me. Honestly, I'd just as soon use a $50 factory synthetic as anything in between. I have some of those too, they may not look as nice but they work just fine

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Synthetic all the way!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As bad as I hate to, I've got to vote for the synthetic. Laminates are easy on the eyes and durable, but they're heavy, don't soak-up much recoil and can be very slippery when wet unless checkered properly.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
so simple...kimber montana in 308 or whatever headstamp your passionate about

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wood is wood and no matter what you do too it it will eventually absorb water

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Any Synthetic Stock will be more water proof than a stock that is made up of wood, regardless. I do like both tho.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No brainer - synthetic.

I tried to make wood waterproof with various epoxies but during heavy rain, they still soaked up some water. Love wood but all my serious rifles wear synthetic and SS.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Swivels argument is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

I can't hear you. My son is loading up the rifles for a range trip.

TINK TINK TINK!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Bring two stocks for inclement weather.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And a drill.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For wet weather definitely go with a synthetic stock over a laminated.

I've had both and in the rain the factory Wintuff Winchester 70 laminated stock swelled so much the recoil pad looked 2 sizes too small and the gap between the forend and barrel disappeared. All of this happened in one full day of rain.

Since, I've never taken another laminated out in the rain.

Stick with the synthetics!!!

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 12/28/13.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,811 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,625
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.