OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Forbidden Zoner
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well there goes the friggin neighborhood....

Bet ya this is the end of RCBS having and honoring a life time warranty...

Guess Lee will end up getting a lot more of my business than they do now.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Seafire

Guess Lee will end up getting a lot more of my business than they do now.

It it Hornady's fault that the mega conglomerate Vista Outdoors decided to run RCBS into the ground and then sell it off?

I also don't see Lee being any better about warranting their equipment than Hornady is.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Actually, I've had decent luck with Hornady's service. I had to make several calls regarding my LNL AP. A lot of free parts got sent. In one case, where it required a rebuild, the press got sent and returned free of charge. I would put them on par with RCBS.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'll still buy the products I need from both.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did Hodgdon become the same as Hornady? I musta missed that. shocked

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Did Hodgdon become the same as Hornady? I musta missed that. shocked

Well, that was my mistake, I had Hornady "on the brain" as I had just read they were involved in the purchase of Thompson Center from S&W.

I still stand by my comments about Vista"s handling of RCBS..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hodgdon: the company that buys up smaller powder companies and then can't keep up with demand. Now RCBS tooling will be disappearing from shelves and unobtainable except at black market pricing. What a great hobby I chose to get into!! I guess they will buy Savage and Glock next as to complete the complete destruction of the industry.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see this as a potential positive-- Hodgdon has a vested interest in the handloading market whereas, for Vista, it was always a tiny slice of the revenue pie. The Hodgdon family members that I knew were great folks.

1 member likes this: OSU_Sig
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I agree, good news, and will make a great company even better.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Woodhits
I see this as a potential positive-- Hodgdon has a vested interest in the handloading market whereas, for Vista, it was always a tiny slice of the revenue pie. The Hodgdon family members that I knew were great folks.

I was in a party stalking stags in Scotland probably 20 years ago that included Chris and Bob Hodgdon. They certainly were great folks. I don’t know what family members are serving in what company capacities today.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never had a lick of trouble with Hornady customer service. Their products are typically well-designed, but sometimes they suffer from quality.

As far as this acquisition, we have no evidence that there will be a change.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have no inside information nor any particular animas toward any of the companies involved. I do, however, tend to prefer Hodgdon to Vista and suspect this acquisition will be a good thing for us. I hope so at least.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire

I got a rude awakening when I called RCBS for support with a press. I needed parts, and had discussion previously about what was available and what I needed to do. When I finally got around to getting things together, I was told I would need to send the defective part in (at my expense) and they would evaluate whether it would be replaced or not. The folk at Oroville said the new owners (Vista Outdoors) had made changes, and that's the way it would be going forward. They didn't sound happy.

In 2007, I was reloading a run of ammo for Camp Perry and was having a difficult time using the Hornady Priming tool. Out of frustration, I called Hornady and ended up with the engineer responsible for the priming tool. I went through my laundry list of design defects and what I'd do to fix it. The engineer said he'd see what he could do and get back to me. The winter after Perry, I checked back with the engineer who advised me he forgot our conversation. I chased it up the chain and ended up with Steve Hornady who was very irritated with me and the engineer and advised me that I was on my own with my priming tool because their business model/pricing didn't allow them to stand behind their products for life like RCBS.

In a few months, I saw that Hornady redesigned their priming tool incorporating many of the feature/improvements I had discussed with the engineer...and no acknowledgement from Hornady. I stopped buying anything Hornady.

Fast forward to this year. I was loading Sierra TMK's and the Hornady seating stem (purchased pre-2007) was putting a crimp on the bullet jacket behind the polymer tip. I called Hornady to see if there was a solution. Long story short, I ended up with about 5 different seating stems with corresponding sleeves...no charge. Hornady has really stepped up their game and customer support in the interceding years and I am now a Hornady fan...

During the seating stem call, I mentioned to Hornady customer service that I had a priming tool that didn't really work well. He said I had an old one and they'd get me a more current one. I got a shipping label to send my old one in, and a few weeks later, I got a new improved priming tool...all gratis!!!

Last edited by ChrisF; 05/05/24.
1 member likes this: alpinecrick
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry...I get wound up talking about where RCBS is and where Hornady was. Cliff Notes version;

RCBS lifetime warranty is conditional under Vista Outdoors. There are still good people in Oroville and hopefully Hodgdon's leadership returns RCBS to glory.

Hornady was a bunch of bumblers 17 years ago...but they're doing great things product wise and their warranty has become what RCBS used to be.

Last edited by ChrisF; 05/05/24.
1 member likes this: alpinecrick
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I bought an RCBS hand priming tool in about 1997 I think and it served me well for 20 plus years. I lent it to a mate and it came back broken. So I bought anudda one and it looked identical but it was utter garbage. In the 20+ years since the first one RCBS' quality had taken a nose dive. So if the buy out can get RCBS' quality up again it could be good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
Hodgdon: the company that buys up smaller powder companies and then can't keep up with demand. Now RCBS tooling will be disappearing from shelves and unobtainable except at black market pricing. What a great hobby I chose to get into!! I guess they will buy Savage and Glock next as to complete the complete destruction of the industry.

Hate them if you like, but a lot of the powder any of them sell is made by other companies here, in Canada, or overseas, and the supply is subject to various pressures, most recently the wars going on everywhere and also a nitrocellulose shortage, none of which Hodgdon has any control over. Military contracts trump civilian sales. Similar issues affect optics companies like SWFA and Primary Arms that don’t make anything themselves, but only resell.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Saw this a few days ago. I think it’s a great fit for Hodgdon and I like it that a company in the reloading biz will own another company in the reloading biz.

Potentially it’s whole lot better than some corporate Wall Street management firm like Vista Outdoors owning them.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
2 members like this: OSU_Sig, 345dl
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Hate them if you like, but a lot of the powder any of them sell is made by other companies here, in Canada, or overseas, and the supply is subject to various pressures, most recently the wars going on everywhere and also a nitrocellulose shortage, none of which Hodgdon has any control over. Military contracts trump civilian sales. Similar issues affect optics companies like SWFA and Primary Arms that don’t make anything themselves, but only resell.

^^^This.

Of course that doesn’t fit the Conspiracy Theorists and other uninformed members fairy tales……

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
I was in a party stalking stags in Scotland probably 20 years ago that included Chris and Bob Hodgdon. They certainly were great folks. I don’t know what family members are serving in what company capacities today.

Bob Hodgdon passed away a year or two ago. Chris Hodgdon is no longer a company officer but the Hodgdon’s still own the outfit and are still involved.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
1 member likes this: WoodsyAl
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,808
Posts18,496,405
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.