Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
rogn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I realize the 375 isnt considered a "big bore" by some but My Howa-Ruger 375 has busted two scopes this year. The first a Nikon Monarch and the recent Meopta. I decided to chew the bullet and ordered a Leupold VX 3 in 1.75-6. I know of the recomendations of the 2.5s and the 1.5s. I wanted a variable that can go from smelling distance to 300 yds if needed. Planning a combo return trip to SA in the future. Meopta failed on 11-17 and needed a scope quick , since I wanted to use the 375 for everything available-chucks to hogs(practice, practice, practice), and whitetail open next week. I realize im commited, but just wanted feedback on this model if pssible. If it makes it thru the season and needs to move to lighter rifle, ill do that later. My experience w/ Leupold is that they hold up well, but this is my first 375. Any insights or opinions?

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I think that you were smart to get the Leupold.... too bad you didn't choose it first.

The VX 3's seem to get good reviews here on big bore rifles. At the very least, they have the lifetime warranty and a good rep for customer service with quick turn-arounds.

Excellent eye relief as well; your second most important criteria for scoping a big hole rifle, after reliability. (MHO)

I just got a Rem 700XCR in .375H&H, and I am installing a Leupold VX3 2.5-8X that resided on my Win 70 338WM. I put a Zeiss Conquest 3-9X on the 338WM.

Curious...how many rounds did the Nikon take to break, vs. the Meopta???

Please report on your experience with the Leupold when you try it..

Coltracer Steve

Proud member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ok - I'm ready to take some poking and prodding. For my first African hunt I decided to put a Bushnell 3-9 on my Whitworth .375 H&H because I wanted to put in DSTs and claw mounts that cost almost a thousand bucks all by themselves. I figured that if the Bushnell failed I could use the irons and not be too limited. The Bushnell stayed on the Whitworth for 20 years and never burped, blundered, or blew up! Not bad for a $79.00 scope. For God only knows what reason I decided to switch out every scope on my "serious rifles" - the rifles that I used for almost all of my hunting. Even before I started looking at new scopes I saved enough to buy something that I would be proud to show off. To make a long story short I talked to all of my friends and even a few enemies and decided to try a 3-9 Redfield 5 Star. I now have had seven of these hardy scopes on my "favoritist" serious rifles. Then I added a Redfield 1.5 5.5 widefield to my Mauser .416 Taylor, fully expecting it to come apart at the seams. Been there for twenty years and shoots just fine!

Now for the real dubm scope choice. I put a Simmons 6-24 on a custom SAKO .308 just wanted to see how it might work on white tailed deer half way across the pasture. I now have six of those scopes on .308, .30-06, and , wait for it, my Ruger .338 and they all have performed PERFECTLY. Now my Zeiss scopes also work just fine, as do my ancient Weavers, but I noi longer believe that id a scope costs less than a decent rifle it isn't worth trying out - or using. This is just my experience but another gn writer pal has a $100.00 Tasco that tops out at 40x mounted on his Savage . 308. Darn thing shots bug-hole groups WAAAAYYYY out there and has proven that sometimes less costly scopes ain't cheap.

Terry

J
J
Rogn,

I have a Leupold VX3 1.75-6x on my .375 H&H Model 70 and it has held up well. I've used Leupold bases and quick release rings with good return to zero when I take the scope off and on. You should be as well served with a similar combination.

Best,

jpj3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i have a 6x36 on a .375 ultra that's held up for a 300+ rounds and a Leupold 1.5-5 MK 4 on a .375 AI that's taken a bunch more than that.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I dunno if they still do, but Leupold used to claim that the 1.75-6X32 is their toughest variable.
Be that as it may, it's always a a good idea to throughly test a new scope for at least 60 rds. of full power ammo before taking it hunting. Even scopes with solid reps like Leupold and S&B have been known to go belly up quickly if a bad one gets out of the factory. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my experience, Leopolds stand up to recoil plenty well. Where they fall down and fail is side blows like being tripped over and knocked over by a tracker or a hunter falling while chasing an animal and hitting the ground hard. I have seen too many Loopys go room temperature at inopportune times with such falls or hits and cost my clients trophys. Yes, Leopold fixed or replaced the scopes later, but that did not bring back the missed or wounded animals that were lost because of scope failure. Burris Posi Locks on heavy rifles for me, from now on.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are those Burris's pretty heavy compared to a similar Leupy?

`Bring Enough Gun`
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
No one is mentioning fixed power scopes. Would those with experience with both types please take it up?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My 375 Ruger African wears a 2x7 Kahles. Seems like it was made for it!

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just bought a .50 BMG. I know little about this new adventure. What is the least expensive scope that I can put on it, have a high amount of magnification so I can use it for waaaaay long shots?

Would appreciate any and all input.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jpj3
Rogn,

I have a Leupold VX3 1.75-6x on my .375 H&H Model 70 and it has held up well. I've used Leupold bases and quick release rings with good return to zero when I take the scope off and on. You should be as well served with a similar combination.

Best,

jpj3

Two trips to Africa and over a dozen animals including buffalo and no issues.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My .458 has chewed up and spat out 2 scopes so far, a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5x-5x and a Leupold Vari-X III 1.75x-6x. The rifle has been fired quite a bit with heavy loads (maybe 700 rounds of full power 500 grain and another 500 or so of midrange 405 and 350 grain loads).

The windage adjustment went TU on the 1.75-6 and the erector assembly was rattled on the 1.5-5. Leupold fixed both scopes. The .458 now wears a Leupold M-8 3x fixed power scope. So far, so good.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I ran a Leupold 1.75x6 on my first Sako factory .375H&H with nary a hiccup until I sold the rifle. I am running a Leupold VXR 4x12 on my new custom Sako .375H&H (for elk) with no issues, so far either.

AS mentioned above, the Leupold scopes generally have sufficient eye relief to get the scope far enough forward to minimize scope bite. I have never been "bit" by either of these rifles.

rogn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well got teh Leupy,thick duplex, and sightedn in yesterday. Clicks are repeatable. The scope is clear and seems to have good light , dimlight capability. Thick crosshairs seem good in low light conditions. Ive put about 30 rounds thru it since mounting. Have a powder isssue at moment, used the last of a good lot. Time will tell in a bit, but so far I like the scope a lot. The Nikon was on a 300WSM for a couple of years and I think on a Savage MLII so it was shaken well before mounting on the Howa. 25 or so rounds shook it out. THE Meopta saw about 100+ before acting up. However, the ring system may be part of the picture as they started to slip. Recleaned and remounted, it seemed OK for a few shots then got eratic again. I think the heavy 21 oz Meopta over came the clamping ability of the rings and they would shake and try to climb over the cross grooves of the mounts. The scope will go on another rifle of established accuracy for a further evaluation. The little 10 OZ Leupy should ride much better on the Howa.Further reports hopefully on the way.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My .375 Bee's (8.5 lbs. scoped and loaded) been wearing a Weaver V10 2-10x38 for 5 years with great results. I actually picked the Weaver because of its 11 oz. weight. Figured it'd generate less inertial forces internally, yada, yada. Don't know if I'm smart or got lucky. But the scope is optically, quite crisp, and is still riding the gun in good health. I'd rather be lucky than good any day. grin

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 375 rugers I've owned both wore zeiss conquests, as did the 416 ruger. All worked great and never lost zero. Zeiss says their scopes are recoiled tested to 460 wby parameters. I believe it as I have not had a failure yet. I had a ruger #1 in 416 rigby that wore a vx2 1-4x20. It worked also. Never gave me a problem. Happy shooting!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
After considerable big bore experience with sending scopes back, I won't use anything but a Leupold or Zeiss on the big ones. I have also heard Burris holds up well on them, but haven't the personal experience. I do have an older VariXIII 1.75-6x with a Premier Reticles no. 4 on a .416 Rigby that has been sighted in several years ago and never touched since. If 105 H4831 and a 370 NF doesn't shake it loose, your .375 won't. I also scrambled a Nikon on a .375 as well, a 2-7x Monarch. It was replaced and is on a 7x57 now. I just don't think they are a big bore scope, IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Night force is tough as nails, better than Leupold or Zeiss. all good scopes for heavy hitters.

Monarch, Burris, Nikon.
Don't put them cheap scopes on the heavy hitters.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
No one is mentioning fixed power scopes. Would those with experience with both types please take it up?

3X or 4X Leupold.Seen some variables chewed up by 375's.I've killed a couple myself, and last year a pal had a 1.5-5X Leup go buns up after 300 or so rounds in his 375H&H.They fixed it; he sold it.

His now wears a 4X Leupold.

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/27/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 52 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,686
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.