Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4151164 06/08/10
CT22250 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone want to share a "DETAILED" Rub recipe? I'm not asking for your first born!!!! Just would like to get a good rub for wild pig and brisket......

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I believe BYC is the dry rub guru, but what I use is hot Hungarian Paprika, ground Thyme, Black Pepper, Kosher Salt, Light Brown Sugar and maybe a little Cumin.

Sam......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Crushed juniper berries,thyme ,rosemary, garlic powder, salt ,pepper, paprika. I never measure just some of each. All should be placed in a mortar and crushed and mixed together-- Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know you asked for a home recipe but thought I'd throw this out there as an option. Lots of guys are using/winning with Dizzy Pig rubs. Chris (the owner) grinds all of his ingredients fresh and doesn't use any msg or other bad stuff. I like it because I can order it salt free and in bulk and it saves me lots of time and is usually fresher than I can make myself using off the shelf pre-ground spices. Tweak them if you want but they are darn good as-is, the Dizzy Dust is a good starting place for brisket.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BYC is the man. I've been using varying amounts of Brown Sugar,Sea Salt,Raw sugar,Black Pepper,Cayenne,Paprika,celery salt,garlic powder.Maybe a dash of anything else that I may run into looking for the other stuff.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by duxndogs
I know you asked for a home recipe but thought I'd throw this out there as an option. Lots of guys are using/winning with Dizzy Pig rubs. Chris (the owner) grinds all of his ingredients fresh and doesn't use any msg or other bad stuff. I like it because I can order it salt free and in bulk and it saves me lots of time and is usually fresher than I can make myself using off the shelf pre-ground spices. Tweak them if you want but they are darn good as-is, the Dizzy Dust is a good starting place for brisket.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/

I'll have to try them. There is a dealer within a mile of my house.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Smoked a couple briskets, pork shoulders, and chickens last weekend. I googled 'brisket rubs', took the top four that came from the easiest loading websites, combined them all, and used that. It was pretty much the same ingredients everybody listed above, large quanities of hot paprika was the base.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I posted this recipe of mine a month or so ago. I have been using this rub (or variations thereof) for over 20 years and have had no complaints. YMMV

I make my own from dried herbs/spices/seasonings. Combine (to your taste) - Tenderquik salt, sage, rosemary, thyme, sugar (white or brown), pepper (black, white or hot) and paprika. Grind together in a blender or food processor. Rub liberally on ribs, cover and refrigerate overnight. Sear ribs both sides (on grill) then drop heat to low and spray with liquid (preferably apple juice or diluted vineger) ant least every half hour for 3 or 4 hours or longer. The sage is something that goes real well with pork ribs. Works for pork shoulder roasts, too, just takes longer to cook.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
First off! Thanks guys for the vote of confidence and recommendation.

So onto rubs.

All the above is true.

Certain shelf products are good. John Henry's, Tony's, Lotta Bull, Jacks Old South, Dizzy Pig, BGE, Grub Rub, Byrons Butt Rub and may others as well. All basically the same--ingredient-wise. I had so many of them in the beginning that I just mixed all together and all combined they still tasted the same. Frankly, there are so many me-too rubs and sauces out there that no way I intend to compete for shelf space. For our competitions we start from scratch. Why? Because rubs are so easy to make and freshness counts.

Rubs are like fresh cooked pulled pork. No restaurant can touch fresh cooked and pulled pork or brisket right from the smoker unless they pull it as soon as it's done and serve on the spot. That's why being a judge on the circuit provides you with the best product possible. Nothing wrong with the commercial approach but in most cases, the product has been stored, reheated and thus, loses it's bark and flavor. This is proven at every competition I go to. Vendors never win because they use yesterday's product for turn in. In fact, at this weekends pool party folks wanted my product over the supposed best in town, which sat right beside mine. Why? Because I made the rub the day before and served my product right off my cookers.

We took first place in the states most heated and coveted bbq hash competition last year. I remain convinced it's only because our ingredients to include meat rubs were fresh. I saw a bunch of frozen and bottled stuff being used by others which for me is a no-no in my cookbook. Freshness rules!!

So back to rubs. Same freshness rule applies. The fresher the grind the more oils extracted and the better the rub. Take Sam's recipe as an example, which is an excellent base. If you fresh grind the ingredients he listed and use immediately it will kick any packaged products azzzz right off the shelf. Why? Cos it's fresh and the oils extracted are far more potent.

Guys it's sooooooooo easy to make your own rubs. And as another poster pointed out the ingredients are so basic. Just discover your own personal add-in's. Maybe a little apple, cherry, peach or whatever flair creates your bliss.

Go to http://www.penzeys.com/ . Order some fresh favorites and course grind. You'll be happy you did and it's fun.

Happy cooking!!

PS and Hint---My rub recipes are no different than any of those listed above. Again, I simply make them fresh and add in what compliments the meat. I do NOT sauce the meat which makes the freshness of the rub all the more important.

And BTW----Often nothing more than salt and pepper is best served.

Okay Stan----your turn!!!!!!!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by byc

Okay Stan----your turn!!!!!!!!

Of course, the best for last. grin

Well, I guess there are probably about a thousand dry rubs on our grocery shelves now, and about a million sauses (a testament to how much sauce adds to BBQ)......but, the important stuff is fire control (smoke), meat selection and keeping things moist and knowing when to pull that cut of meat. Not to mention the wood use thingie. You can certainly do all those things correct, but screw up a perfect Q with to much rub....fresh, or not.

So, my thinking is to be anal with fire control and knowing when to pull your meat....er,.... and, rub ain't that important. Adds flavor, but you can pour a tub of rub on a badly smoked piece of meat and it's still gonna suck.

I do use rubs, lots of store bought stuff when I'm not wanting to chase ingredients for home makings.....I spend much more time making sauces than I do making rubs.

All American

All the time
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go to the amazingribs.com web site and check their Rendezvous rub recipe. It's from the Rondezvous Restauant in Memphis - world famous for their ribs (and the first place I tried dry rubbed ribs.) It's lip smackin' good!

Rondezvous Dry Rib Rub

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BYC, I have to second your mentioning Penzys Spics. They are without a doubt, America's premier purveyor of quality spices.

Their offering are top quality, absolutely fresh, and the folks are just damn good to do business with.

My Sis in Birmingham introduced me to Penzys, and now I buy up in Jacksonville at the location there.

Sam......

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stan I can live with that. Cept get away from them ketchup cover-ups... grin

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by byc

HMMMMMMMM....ketsup, when mixed with vinegar and my super secret additions (some honey, worchestershire, oh wait...can't give you to much) is a treat of the god's. grin

You'll eat it with bread, bro!

All American

All the time
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BYC,
Which hash cook-off did you win? Was it Festival Discovery or Piedmont Blues and Hash Bash?? Those are the only two I'm familiar with, never been to either but I'd really like to attend a good one. I've cooked in KCBS, IBCA and MBN events even did a CTBA but have never seen a hash cook-off which is kinda odd because where I'm from BBQ and hash go together like peanut butter and jelly.

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by duxndogs
BYC,
Which hash cook-off did you win? Was it Festival Discovery or Piedmont Blues and Hash Bash?? Those are the only two I'm familiar with, never been to either but I'd really like to attend a good one. I've cooked in KCBS, IBCA and MBN events even did a CTBA but have never seen a hash cook-off which is kinda odd because where I'm from BBQ and hash go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Piedmont Blues and Hash Bash in Abbeville. Got us a guitar trophy, which makes 2 now. The year before we placed 3rd over all. I'll take a pic and post later. Go to the Abbeville event this year in October. It's SCBA sponsored and one of my favorites. Abbeville is a great little civil war town.

Feel free to come cook with us if you like.

David

Go Nats!!!!

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Stan V
Originally Posted by byc

HMMMMMMMM....ketsup, when mixed with vinegar and my super secret additions (some honey, worchestershire, oh wait...can't give you to much) is a treat of the god's. grin

You'll eat it with bread, bro!

and slaw!!!!!! wink

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you guys, now I hungry.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lawry's seasoned salt, red pepper, and black pepper.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ODay450
Go to the amazingribs.com web site and check their Rendezvous rub recipe. It's from the Rondezvous Restauant in Memphis - world famous for their ribs (and the first place I tried dry rubbed ribs.) It's lip smackin' good!

Rondezvous Dry Rib Rub

The Rendezvous is a couple blocks from my office. I eat there almost every Friday for lunch.

Rather than trying to re-create the wheel by making my own rub, when I cook ribs I use the Rendezvous stuff. It's as good or better than anything I've tried and is available in local stores.

Weiners are health food - My dad
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 60 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,147
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.