Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Here's the sunny side, surrounded by thick, smoky bacon, before I maneuvered a plastic spatula under it to flip it over. Worked just fine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was there any question about that?

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Well, the seasoning on this one is a little knarly. I usually use non-stick for eggs, in which case I just flip the pan, with no need of a spatula.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looking good sse!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
The bacon is so good the house smells like hickory for days...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sse
Well, the seasoning on this one is a little knarly. I usually use non-stick for eggs, in which case I just flip the pan, with no need of a spatula.

Ah! Gotcha!

Did you do your own seasoning of the iron? I've been meaning to learn to do that myself.

It looks to me like what you have there is a great breakfast! Certainly drool worthy! grin

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Been doing the iron stuff a long time. The one in the pic is a beaut, used it for years. It has the rough surface, not the smooth. On more than one occasion I've allowed the seasoning to bubble up and peel, then just seasoned right over the top of the mess.

I have another one of these with the smooth surface, but it still has the sticker on it and the parafin. Probably worth some decent bucks. Then, of course there's several old ones, and pots, that I pick up at sales, etc...but never get around to using.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sse
Here's the sunny side, surrounded by thick, smoky bacon, before I maneuvered a plastic spatula under it to flip it over. Worked just fine.

[Linked Image]

You have big problem happening in that skillet. eek

There's only ONE egg. Two's better ... three is just right. wink

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
........won't argue the point........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That sure looks good!

I agree that it appears as though you are missing an egg or 2.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yep. The pan just needs to be properly seasoned, then use enough butter to cover the surface. I fry two eggs every morning in mine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sse
Been doing the iron stuff a long time. The one in the pic is a beaut, used it for years. It has the rough surface, not the smooth. On more than one occasion I've allowed the seasoning to bubble up and peel, then just seasoned right over the top of the mess.

I have another one of these with the smooth surface, but it still has the sticker on it and the parafin. Probably worth some decent bucks. Then, of course there's several old ones, and pots, that I pick up at sales, etc...but never get around to using.

Is there some advantage to the rough surface ? My kneejerk reaction would be to hit it with some red oxide sandpaper till smooth. Then season and enjoy .

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yep,

Looks like you're two eggs short of a full load! (grin!)

Looks GOOD! better than the Oatmeal I had this morning. Yum Yum!

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by M1894
Originally Posted by sse

Is there some advantage to the rough surface ? My kneejerk reaction would be to hit it with some red oxide sandpaper till smooth. Then season and enjoy .

Thinking the same thing. Sand, heat, and treat.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Butter grits slow cooking in a pot, cathead biscuits in the oven, homemade sugar cane syrup for sopping, sawmill gravy. Damn, let's eat!
grin

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Is there some advantage to the rough surface ?

I have to correct this. That pan dos have the smooth surface. I have a DO and another skillet that is rough.

I think its 6 of 1, half dozen of another.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by GeoW
Butter grits slow cooking in a pot, cathead biscuits in the oven, homemade sugar cane syrup for sopping, sawmill gravy. Damn, let's eat!
grin

Don't know what any of that is, but sure wish I could show up hungry at your doorstep.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by GeoW
grin

Don't know what any of that is, but sure wish I could show up hungry at your doorstep.

That is Heaven (and a coronary grin ) on a plate!

Fill my coffee cup and grab a napkin! laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
They say you aren't supposed to use animal fat to season a skillet, but isn't that what you do every time you cook on one? I prefer to season them by cooking bacon, right before I cook my eggs. Bacon fat is the most slippery stuff you can put in one, IMO. I prefer the smooth ones, I have gotten rid of every rough one I have ever had, except the dutch ovens...they get bacon fat too!

Egg looks good, but lonely.

Larry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sse

If your black iron stockpile is bothering you I could be convinced to make a road trip and relieve you of the burdon. smile

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (16penny, 1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,884
Posts18,497,798
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.