Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
From time to time I have posted some "Work in progress" photos of a project that I have just about wrapped up. So here is the last installment.

I started with this:

[Linked Image]

A left handed Mauser (the last I have found at a decent price,) a .35 Douglas barrel, and a semi-semi-inletted stock that was intended for a RH action.

I sent the barrel and action to Mark Skaggs in Oregon, and he chambered it in .35 Whelen. Then I worked on polishing the metal, and inletting it into the stock. Then off it went to Gentry in Montana, for the barrel band, turning the barrel for the banded NEGC front sight, weld on a MacFarland checkered bolt handle, and intall a 3-position safety. Back to me for more stock shaping. Metal goes off to Redneck/Lee for bluing and final installation of the front sight. I also sent the stock to Claude Gatewood for bending, because being an amateur stockmaker, I ended up with RH cast and the stock just didn't feel right.

At this point the gun was looking like this:
[Linked Image]

I did the epoxy base coat finish that Sitka Deer/Art taught to me, which required heating the stock up. So I finally found a use for the natural gas faux fireplace in this house.

[Linked Image]

I have to admit that I am not very good with this finish method--I probably sanded through the finish at least a half dozen times, and needed to reapply it.

I have been using General Finishes' Arm-R-Seal as my top coat, and it has been quite easy to work with.

So I can't think of much more to do with the project at this point. It uses Warne bases and some old QD Kimber rings I had. With a Leupold Vari-x 3 2.5-8 on board, it weighs 8.5#.

[Linked Image]

Take the scope off, and install a Williams peep, and I have a quick pointing old school black timber elk gun.

[Linked Image]

Keeping some crisp lines around the floorplate was a goal

[Linked Image]

as was figuring out some kind of treatment around the bolt release.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/utah708/P1010181.jpg[/img]

And the wood ended up looking pretty good (although I have some Johnson's paste wax on it, and every fingerprint seems to show in the photos.)

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/utah708/PB141744.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/utah708/PB141738.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/utah708/PB141742.jpg[/img]

I will get the stock checkered at some point, but I want to shoot it 50-100 times first. If the stock is going to crack, I would rather not have more money into it when it does.
Sorry for the quality of the photos. It is snowing hard here today, so getting any natural light is out.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow....very cool project man!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking good. Well done.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
very nice love the wood

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That bolt is killing me...it's on the wrong side!! Didn't you see that!! I'm not taking it...you can keep it!

I'm very right-handed... really...LOL

Dude,well done,nice wood, and that will be a timber-buster!!!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Steve
Nicely done!

I consider a mere half-dozen sandthroughs a victory! wink

I like the little ledge under the bolt release. This is how Riley chose to deal with the issue with his 22-250 stock. It is hard to see but the little dark line is on the joining ridge of two concave faces.
[Linked Image]

Again, nice job.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
All--

Thanks for the comments.

Art--
I did mean a half dozen sand throughs. I got multiple sand throughs each of a half dozen separate times. It seems like I was never going to get the base coat right.

But I have a question for you regarding this finish. While I understand how it creates a good water impervious barrier, doesn't the checkering negate that?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Utah, that looks super! Congrats...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice job and a really nice looking rifle. Congrats and thanks for posting the pictures.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Very nice!

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
IC B3

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Art--
One of the things about that shelf under the bolt release is that it shows how much material there was in the stock before I started working on it. After all, since this was a RH stock, the expectation was for the bolt release to go on the other side.

Another thing I did was to file down the height of the tang so that there could be more taper and curve down into the grip.

[Linked Image]

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
One thing about doing your own work--at least to the extent that one is able--is that you get to add little touches. For example, I stippled the ramp for the front sight by rolling a coarse round file up and down it until I got the texture I wanted. I can'r remember where I learned that trick--probably from somebody's post here.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a beauty! You've got skills....

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

C
CWG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice finish!

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what is a 35 douglas? ive never heard of it before.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
.35 was the bore, and Douglas is the brand.

It was chambered for .35 Whelen.

By the way, have you used Mark Skaggs for any projects? He is pretty close to you, and quite reasonably priced.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
no sir, i havent. i go through Tom Hart at MOA precision. he is great, and completely anal retentive. he hates anything on a rifle that isnt right. he will tell you what is wrong and ask you if you want to have any "recommended" work done. he fixed several things wrong with my Mauser and did it free of charge because he just knew i couldnt afford much. great guy. damn fine smith as well.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know a few lefties that would love to have that rifle!
Very nice!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You did agreat job. Mcmanis said you gave up acareer as a fishing guide, he should have said as a stockmaker. Really a top rate project. Old Growth

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
utah: Nicely done!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10ring1, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,414
Posts18,470,481
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.