Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I was just curious as to why some people dislike them so much. I see several guys here who dislike them greatly. Again to each his own. I know every rifle I have put a break on ends up shooting better with the break than without. A little more noise but overall an improvement to the function of the rifle.

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
For me its the NOISE

and the looks. sick

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
And I cant possibly see how a brake will make a gun shoot better..

Maybe the shooter but not the gun.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Noise for me also!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Noise, no need for it. All my rifles get used for hunting and I'll not suffer a break. If I can't handle the recoil I'll step down in size.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I found an old Sako L61R in 7mm back several years ago that had spent better than 30 years in the Rocky Mountains riding on the side of a horse. I purchased it for $375 and begain load development for it. It was one of the worst shooting rifles I had ever pulled the trigger on not to mention the hardest kicking. I put a Shrewed break with a 40 degree rake on the gun went back to the range with the same loads as befor and shot groups in the .3's and the recoil had gone to that of a 243. Movement of the gun has everything to do with accuracy. Benchrest shooters use heavy rifles for the same reason. If the gun sits in one place while you are driving it the groups are much different. But that's just me talking.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by brasstacks
It was one of the worst shooting rifles I had ever pulled the trigger on not to mention the hardest kicking. I put a Shrewed break with a 40 degree rake on the gun went back to the range with the same loads as befor and shot groups in the .3's and the recoil had gone to that of a 243.
That right there says it all.

No way possible for a gun to "become" more accurate just by putting a brake on.....no way.

Unless they recrowned it while installing the brake...thats all.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
They are too freakin' loud and look God awful.

Travis

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I find the combination of extra noise and extra muzzle blast completely insufferable, and refuse to have a break on one of my own rifles.

If you decide one of your friends is annoying you and you wish to part ways, simply shoot your breaked rifle next to them a few times. They won't want anything to do with you... shocked

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same reason I don't like breaks on my vehicles. Broken stuff simply does not work as well as unbroken stuff.

Muzzle brakes, on the other hand, are too obnoxious for my liking...

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
i'm a big fan of brakes(not breaks)sorry:).

i'm also not sure if they help a gun shoot better or if it helps the shooter shoot the gun better. i'm leaning toward the latter.

although i've heard people swear by the browning boss as far as tuning loads go, but i've never tried one so i can't say.

i will say that if you are wearing ear pro, then i'm not sure what difference a brake makes. you can get brakes that are designed not to have excessive muzzle blast. i shoot a lot, all year, not just a couple shots before hunting season, so the brake is a welcome addition to my bigger guns.

i would challenge any of you guys to come and shoot against me with a big .338. you shoot yours without a brake, and i'll shoot mine with one, and we'll see who is shooting better after say 5, 15, or 40 rounds.

there are some pretty big benefits for brakes on bigger guns if designed correctly to minimize muzzle blast. (they are loud though, no getting around that)

Last edited by lovdasnow; 03/06/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Noise for me. And, I don't care for the looks.
Like others, if I cannot take the recoil, I'm shooting too much gun. That said, I know some have some rather debilitating shoulder injuries where a brake seemingly makes some sense.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why would I want to shoot 40 rounds of .338? I dont, braked or not. A .338 is not a gun you pick for an afternoon at the range.

At the range last summer, a guy had a braked .308, Yeah a .308. My son was shooting maybe 3 benchs down from the .308.

Need less to say that .308 ended our afternoon sooner than planned. You want to talk about earsplitting noise, wow.

If my 12 year old can figure this stuff out............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Noise, no need for it. All my rifles get used for hunting and I'll not suffer a break. If I can't handle the recoil I'll step down in size.

That post is spot on.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
To summarize, and pretty much agree with most of the above, I don't like the noise or the looks.

Nothing I own is big or bad enough to require a brake. I once owned an 8mm Rem Mag. Nasty kicking thing! Rather than brake it, I sold it, and shoot a 7mm Rem Mag instead. Nothing that I hunt will ever know the difference, and it's much more manageable on my end.

As for shooting better, it's as some have already said (and backed up by the challenge to bang 40 rounds out of a 338); it will help the shooter to not flinch, etc, it won't somehow miraculously make the rifle itself shoot better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Originally Posted by Steelhead

That post is spot on.

+1

Spot on!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lovdasnow
i'm a big fan of brakes(not breaks)sorry:).

i'm also not sure if they help a gun shoot better or if it helps the shooter shoot the gun better. i'm leaning toward the latter.

although i've heard people swear by the browning boss as far as tuning loads go, but i've never tried one so i can't say.

i will say that if you are wearing ear pro, then i'm not sure what difference a brake makes. you can get brakes that are designed not to have excessive muzzle blast. i shoot a lot, all year, not just a couple shots before hunting season, so the brake is a welcome addition to my bigger guns.

i would challenge any of you guys to come and shoot against me with a big .338. you shoot yours without a brake, and i'll shoot mine with one, and we'll see who is shooting better after say 5, 15, or 40 rounds.

there are some pretty big benefits for brakes on bigger guns if designed correctly to minimize muzzle blast. (they are loud though, no getting around that)

Just curious as to what game you hunt with your braked rifles. Do you shoot 40 rounds in the field while hunting? Do you remove your brake when you take your rifle hunting? Do you think you need to practice at the range with the exact same gun you will be hunting with (i.e.: No brake at range if you're not going to use a brake while hunting)?

Brakes make too much noise. Not just the noise, but the percussion shock for anybody that's around. Brakes are the exact reason that I shoot my rifles on my private land and refuse to go to the public ranges any more.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I like brakes. A lot of my rifles have them, and not just hard kickers either. Just plain easier too shoot. I also like them on my competition rifles as well. BTW the myth that all guides don't like either is not true. In the last 10 years I have seen several guides with them on thier own rifles.

On my 1000yd rifle I can actually see the bullet trace to the target plus it makes it a lot easier to get back on target quick w/o the rifle jumping around in the bages. If we are sighting on clay birds at 600 or 1000 can see the impact through the scope and adjust for windage real quick w/o a spotter. There are some rifles though that it would be blasphmy to put a brake on...a NULA for example

Lefty C

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeh for long range brakes can be very effective. Most guys I know that shoot long range precision shooting, have a brake.Less recoil is always going to be a plus for accuracy.

1 and done
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Less recoil don't make a rifle more accurate, it just allows puzzys to not flinch.

I don't know where brakes factor in on long range precision, but WTF do I know.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (160user, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 44mc, 3333vl, 308ld, 13 invisible), 1,563 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.