Print Thread
Hop To
#3875571 03/08/10
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
After buying tons of commercial calls over the last 25 years, I finally got the custom call bug. I bought a few online from a guy online here in OK. They look good on a PC, but there was no way to try em out. I got a few pot calls and a 10" box.

For those who have tried some custom calls, who is the best call maker that talks turkey?

Joseph

Joseph
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Asking for "the best" anything is near impossible to answer. However, a couple of my favorites after trying quite a few different makers examples are my Andy Kaiser (Kaiser Kalls) pot/peg glass calls. And Jerry "Dad" White (Dad's Calls) box calls. Both have a real hen magically stuffed in there somehow!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://oldgobbler.com/TheForum/index.php Bunch of custom call makers hang out at Old Gobbler; there is daily discussion on custom calls - you might find what you want to know there. I have a couple of Ed's calls, a small maker out of Hertford NC, I like the sound, but that's more incumbent on me than on the call. The Dixie Deer Classic was just held this past weekend in Raleigh NC - the place was packed with custom call makers demonstrating & selling their wares, find a show like that in your area and go.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
http://www.customcalls.com/ there are a bunch of names on here.
David Tyree made the best sounding slate I ever heard, but I do not think he makes calls anymore.
I call most of my birds with a mouth call, but when I am not I use Andy Kaisers. He is building some more for me at this time from a block of exhibition English Walnut I sent him. Andy is a great guy that makes great calls.
http://www.kaiserkalls.com/

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I like the pot calls the best. Glass usually gives me the sound or close to it that I prefer. I think the striker can make or break a call as well. I know, no 2 calls sound alike and I also dont feel you need to be perfect, but a guy has to have something to improve upon. As soon as my calls get here, I'm gonna track down some killer strikers, I prob have 40 or so right now. I have a few weeks till the season opens.

Kaiser is more than likely next on the list. Thanks guys.

Joseph

Joseph
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hundreds of guys making custom pot calls. Any call maker thats worth a damn will play a call over the phone or in person for you. Find a call that looks good to you, and is affordable than call the maker up and make sure they sound good. No reason to settle for anything less than perfection. Also really no reason to spend more than 40 or 50 bucks. I don't have alot of calls but my best pot is a slate over glass made by Doug Morgan from Ms.

Really good box and trumpet makers are a much smaller group.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'll add another plug for Andy Kaiser on pot & peg calls. I have several of his calls, including a couple that are going on their 7th season of hard use and still sound great.

My favorite is a crystal over glass 2-sided in a cherry pot. It has accounted for several good gobblers over the last couple of years.

ego operor non tutela
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I like Perfection Turkey Calls, they have great mouth calls and the screamin demon is outstanding.

Rammer Jammer Yellowhammer Give 'em heck Alabama
Alabama Crimson Tide 2009 National Champions.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
Hundreds of guys making custom pot calls. Any call maker thats worth a damn will play a call over the phone or in person for you. Find a call that looks good to you, and is affordable than call the maker up and make sure they sound good. No reason to settle for anything less than perfection. Also really no reason to spend more than 40 or 50 bucks. I don't have alot of calls but my best pot is a slate over glass made by Doug Morgan from Ms.

Really good box and trumpet makers are a much smaller group.

Small world...I know Doug and have spent time turning calls on his back porch. Doug's a good guy who loves turkey hunting. How did you come across one of his calls?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
He post on a forum I post on.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Albert Paul Box calls

None better, Fair price

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mr. Paul does make a fine box. I called in 9 with one last year.
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 9 invisible), 1,883 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.