Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
boltman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
As you guys are a second family to me, I knew you would want to know. After a 9 year battle with cancer, my father passed away early this morning. He passed away at home. He was 75. He met with a chaplain a couple of days ago and told him, "the woods is my heaven." The night before he passed my mother told me she struggled to keep him settled down. He saw the moon out and thought it was the sun coming out. He said to her, "I have to call Steve to go deer hunting." Despite his battle with cancer, he hunted the last eight of nine years. He didn't hunt this last season but on the second weekend of the hunt he did drive the 140 mile round trip to the family farm (where he was born) and managed to drive his pickup out in the woods. It happened to be a picture perfect fall day that day and he greatly enjoyed it. The cancer really didn't get the best of him until the last week or two. He had bone cancer and they were able to knock this back with chemo several times over the years. It was this summer that the cancer escaped from his bones and invaded his lymphnode system and became very aggressive. Despite pretty bad odds his doctor threw everything they could at him as far as chemo treatment. I know his doctor came to be very close to him and could not bring himself to give up on him. He even told my mother that he realized he had lost some of his professional perspective when he kept trying when nothing was working. He was a carpenter by trade and worked very hard all his life. He worked all week and worked in the woods all weekend. He never had a day of paid vacation, paid sick time, paid dollar of retirement in his life. He just worked hard and never complained a bit about it. I recall several deer seasons that corresponded with chemo treatment. Sometime he would run out of breath and drop to his knees. He would just wait until he got some breath back, get back up and keep going. This occurred when he was dragging a deer, cutting up windfalls across the trails and on and on. Later.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Oh God Steve. Sorry to hear of your loss. He sounds like the kind of guy I would have loved to meet. My sincere condolences. May Godspeed.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry to hear this but you will always have great memories to keep close to your heart...

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PRAYERS for you & yours boltman

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve, Sorry to hear about the passing of your dad. It sounds like you lost a great friend also.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time. I know your pain. My dad passed 2 years ago from cancer and Christmas with out him just isn't he same. Seventy five is too young to be called home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RIP Dad...about says it. Remember the good times, as those are all we have left.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Good" Dad's are always your best friend. You had a good one, Steve. A real fighter!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steve,
My condolences to you and the family. I'm glad you have all the wonderful memories.
john

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He sounds like a great man, Steve. I'm sorry to hear about your family's loss.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
IC B3

D
DGF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
So sorry for your loss; alot of great memories; and remember he enjoyed life and did it his way.
Doug

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
My prayers are with you and yours...God Speed...Rod

Thank a vet for your freedoms to worship, assemble, speech and vote. Preachers, politicians, journalists, and other elected officials had nothing to do with it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for your loss Steve. Sounds like a life well lived.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steve,

Sorry to hear of your loss. Memories are forever and sounds like you made a few with your Dad. Thinking of you and your family during this tough time.

Blair

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We need more strong, quiet men like your dad. Sounds very similar to my dads battle with cancer 12 years ago. Pass his legacy on to every kid you meet. So sorry for your pain and loss.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember Lincoln quoted in "Saving Private Ryan" with the following: "any words of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming". I feel the same. I don't think my words could make it better, but know this, a decade has passed since docdb, Sr. passed suddenly, and I can think of him a smile, without the hurt.
Condolences sir,
Don

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Steve,
Sorry for your family's loss. Remember all the good times and keep the memories alive! Prayers for you and family.
Bruce

Bruce
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Steve, Sorry for you and your families loss, but i would guess that after 9 years of fighting cancer, and suffering thru it your father now rests in a better place. Don

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
So sorry for your loss. Godspeed to you and yours.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for your loss Steve. You and your dad will be in my prayers.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.