Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I recently found this USN Mark 1 PAL RH-35 Fighting Knife with USN Leather Sheath in a second hand shop. I think I paid about $12.

Generally, I'm not a collector of WWII stuff but I couldn't resist this one. The knife itself, from what I've read, isn't all that rare. Although this one is a little rarer than some as it has a very early wooden butt. When I bought it, I thought it might have been a GI field repair, but I have since found out that the early ones came this way from the factory. Prior to being issued to the USN, these were fairly ordinary hunting knives and soldiers could pick up at the PX. When the war contract went through, the wooden butt was changed.

What really makes this knife very cool are the writings on the scabbard. Of course I can't prove it, but I have a feeling that the following was written by the original owner...."Leyte", "Luzon", and "Tarakan". If these markings are legit, this knife could have seen some pretty heavy combat.

I also thought it was unusual to have "USN" marked on the scabbard. If it was a Marine knife, I would think it would have been marked accordingly. I have also heard that USN pilots often carried these knives in their kits. I would be interested to know what other naval personnel might have had the need to carry a knife like this. Anyway, here are this pics.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
if only the knife could talk. That one is a keeper for sure.

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
They can talk Sam, they just don't speak out loud much.
Yep, a very cool find.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Could have been owned by a navy medic embedded with the marines.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by AncBill
Could have been owned by a navy medic embedded with the marines.

My first thought, too.

Wow.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I hadn't considered a navy medic. I thought maybe a Sea Bee? They would have been all through the Pacific and probably at the three places written on the sheath. I figured they could have used a knife like this.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
After a brief review of Wikipedia, I notices under Tarakan, "...The force which landed on Tarakan included nearly a thousand United States and Dutch troops. The U.S. troops included the U.S. Army engineers who manned the invasion force's landing craft and LVTs and United States Navy Seabee detachments on board the Landing Ship Tanks."

I don't have any specifics on who might have been at Leyton or Luzon, but the Seabee reference on Tarakan seems to make sense.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice grab, very cool knife.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice. That leather sheath looks amazingly good for its age.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (160user, 12344mag, 117LBS, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 3,129 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,966
Posts18,499,245
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.