Print Thread
Hop To
j2dogs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I started by cutting the handle down to 9 1/2 inches (Still able to use a 2 hand hold)
Stripped the blade of the black paint, put a hot vinegar patina on the blade.
Re-profiled the handle. Made the sheath out of 1 1/4 PVC.
Dura-coated handle and sheath with Dark Earth.
Wrapped handle with paracord.
Original mentions a 19 inch blade, mine is 24 inches

Link to original.
http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/97THK/TWO_HANDED_KATANA_MACHETE.aspx

Last edited by j2dogs; 12/26/13.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think you did good. The blade thickness in the link you gave is given as 2.8mm which is .11 inch (no?). A .11 inch thick blade needs two hands the wield it? I like yours better. Can you give us more details on the sheath?

j2dogs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The sheath was 1 1/4 inch pvc. The Katana did not come with a sheath.
There is a you tube video of a guy making a sheath for one out of pvc using a heat gun and clamps. I just followed his example in making mine.

I know its not a high grade Katana, but I figure it would be excellent on clearing myrtle vine and briar thickets.

Put the calipers to my blade it is .115, at 24 inch blade I can see where a 2 handed hold might help sometimes.

Last edited by j2dogs; 12/26/13.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Neat project and nice work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No, sorry, I wasn't clear. I think you're right in making it a one hander, and thanks for the info on the sheath.

IC B2

j2dogs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
(Still able to use a 2 hand hold)

j2dogs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Field report:
Well went to clear some shooting lanes and set up a blind today for late season archery hunt.
Took the CS Katana Machete.
Initially I was a little concerned, many of my blows seem to glancing and the handle felt awkward seemed like my wrist was getting tired quickly. On one of my strokes against a 1 inch sapling, I looked down and saw my paracord unwrapped and thought crappers. Well it was not the paracord it was this.
[Linked Image]
The handle had snapped at the end of the tang. I thought this really sucks cause I was only half way through my job, I had a folding saw but that would take forever.
After I got all my cord off, I got to looking and I could still get one hand on it. So I went back to work and to my surprise the glancing blows stop my cutting power seem to increase, and my wrist was not getting tired like before. A blessing in disguise!!
To be fair to CS, I narrowed the handle were it snapped to make everything even from one end of the handle to the other, but I probably did not take more the 1/4 inch off it. Oh well.
I am thinking if I was constantly in a Katana battle with other sword swingers maybe a 2 handed handle would be a benefit in theory. But most of my machete work is done with 1 hand, and that length of handle was not comfortable for 1 handed use at all.
On another note, the metal and tempering seems to be spot on, I hit several rocks cutting saplings close to ground, after examining the blade no dents or dings the 1055 was done right.
And even though I made a belt loop on the sheath when I was fashioning it, I found much easier to carry as the traditional Katana is carried sheath slipped through my belt on the left side very comfortable carry.
So now my next project. I am going to finish removing all the synthetic handle material down to the tang, slowly remove about 2 inches of the blade around the hilt to match the size of the tang, find me some good hardwood, (Anyone got a good piece of seasoned Osage Orange?) Epoxy, Corby bolt, and re-wrap. Will give some updates as the project continues.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda funny. I had one of these in my paws at a gun/knife show a few weeks ago. I could not help but feel that the handle just felt "unsubstantial" to me. I didn't really give it much thought at the time. I just remember feeling that it felt "weak" to me for the few seconds I had it in my hands.

Cold Steel product quality varies greatly. Of course, so do their price-points. Some of it is a bargain IMO, some of it junk. They also have some higher priced products that are pretty darn good, but their prices reflect as much........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Cold Steel product quality varies greatly. Of course, so do their price-points. Some of it is a bargain IMO, some of it junk. They also have some higher priced products that are pretty darn good, but their prices reflect as much........

some guys i know really like what they get for the Cold Steel kukri machetes as far as bang for the buck.....apparently the design/quality level works really well for what yah pay, they are hacking machines on vegetation....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not a huge Cold Steel fan, but these Sax style machetes have been real work horses.
12 inch, and an 18 inch. They whack through anything.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

IC B3

j2dogs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They look Good!
I still believe mine will work out. The metal in mine is excellent I will end up having a little time and money in fixing the handle and all, but I suppose in the end there is no free ride. Next it will be a full tang.

I really like the larger Sax, I believe that is about the right size.

Last edited by j2dogs; 01/01/14.
j2dogs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Update.
Picked up some stock at Tractor Supply.
Fashioned my first guard with a cutoff tool, and some hand tools. Don't think it turned out to bad.
[Linked Image]

j2dogs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After changing from double grip to single grip I realized the blade was to much, so after custom guard and micarta handles. I cut the blade down to 19 inches. Put a razors edge on it, and a custom para cord retention wrap. Very large knife that can clear brush and other large knife duties.
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I just default to the old Australian issue Golok made at Lithgow Small Arms Factory in the sixties.

The bottom top thing from Nepal may be a boys own toy but is essentially useless as a tool when compared to the Golok.

[Linked Image]

I apologise about the picture orientation but Photobucket is throwing a fit at the moment. apparently it has fixed the issues.

Last edited by JSTUART; 10/27/16.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
j2dogs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Those look great, wanted to take a better pic of mine but my camera just went belly up.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,969
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.