Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Mail person just dropped off the package. The new knife that I asked MRK to make has arrived.
This is a knife based on an old Japanese Deba-Bocho design by maker Masamoto. Tim has totally nailed the concept, and has made me a knife that will be a daily user, and in 154CM. I wanted the blade sharpened on both sides, more in the style of a Japanese vegetable knife, a Nakiri-Bocho style.
Unlike my Japanese made knife, the handle on Tim's is substantial, sized for my large hands. The Bocote wood is just beautiful
I have been in the Kitchen slicing, dicing, chopping. This 5 inch blade is awesome indeed. smile
THANKS brother Tim, for your fantastic attention to design, detail and flawless execution.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sam......

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Damn. Would you be offended if someone wanted to order its twin? That has crowrifle written all over it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The bocote has a real character to it. Love the look. Great blade all around. Nice.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice job gentlemen. I'm thinking we all (most) don't pay enough attention to our kitchen knives.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice! I have to stop buying knives as my addiction is totally out of control!!!

Vince owns me!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crowrifle
Damn. Would you be offended if someone wanted to order its twin? That has crowrifle written all over it.

Tim has the pattern now. If you wanted one, I am sure he would make it. He already wishes he had made one for himself.
As a vegetable prep knife, this one is difficult to beat. It also will chop, shred and slice meat. Good all around blade shape.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice one!

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
That is a great knife. I'm guilty of spending a lot of money on knives that get used for 3 months out of the year and using factory knives on a daily basis. I need to get my priorities straight, or crooked?

long before Rodriguez stole that goat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always interesting to see what you and Tim come up with. Good looking knife.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
As soon as I saw the angles of that knife I knew it would be a very good user.

Really looks good.

Jason Winston

Please visit my website for other available knives:

http://jasonwinstonknives.blademakers.com

email: [email protected]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty but unusual geometry for a 5" blade. Looks more like a riff on a Japanese small crab knife. Ikkanshi was making a very similar one aside from the Western edge before The Japanese disaster. What type of steel?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
David, the steel is 154CM.
I based the design on a Masamoto knife I have. I wanted a larger handle, wanted it sharp on both sides, and wanted Stainless Steel. Masamoto calls it a 'boning knife'.
[Linked Image]
The design is not all that unusual, I have pictures in one of my books on Japanese knives of a antique blade that looks almost the same.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The J-knives that I usually see in that size range are usually specific use knives. No doubt there are many in that size (or far smaller) with similar geometry. I've seen some tiny Deba's but this one with the drop tip and high heel does indeed look very much like a Honasuki. As much as I like the Western style Carbon Masamoto's the handle on yours is far nicer.
I'm sure it will serve you well for many years.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, my japanese experience was for 1 1/2 hours in the Tokyo airport on my way home from RSVN. Didn't have time then to learn a lot about their cutlery.
The project was fun and a little challenging. Since the customer is satisfied and I had fun, the main concerns have been taken care of.
A good name for that particular knife/patern has not risen to the surface yet (remember the "Osceola Companion"?).

Sam
I would like to hear how that particular sharpening works. Did you note the info on the back of the card???
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yes I did Tim. The knife slices onions very thin, shreds lettuce, makes paper thin slices of cucumber, and works well with chicken and pork as well.
It cuts clean and straight, no beveled cuts or tears.

as far as a name, I am not fluent in Japanese at all, but I would like to call it "Sam's small Japanese Style Knife". I will email a friend in Japan, and ask his advice.

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
OK, so its a SSJSK.
So the second and third bevel angles and grit worked out fine??
Hold an edge well against the cutting board??
Why didn't I make a second one????
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That looks wicked!

Tim, have you ever made an Alaskan ulu knife (half moon)? By far it's our #1 knife in the kitchen.

Eric

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
OK, so its a SSJSK.
So the second and third bevel angles and grit worked out fine??
Hold an edge well against the cutting board??
Why didn't I make a second one????
Tim

I have been using a hard maple board, the edge holds up well. Most of the work with the knife uses just the first inch and tip. The two bevels seem to do well. The edge is small, yet very sharp.

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
EricM
I have been asked to do an ulu before, but have not yet made such a blade.
Not sure what the market is and what price it will bear.
I have never seen them made by any makers here or any other local makers.
I know you can get a reasonably decent blade thru the supply houses that are production blades at a reasonable price and put your own handle on them.
Maybe someday, just for grins.
Tim

Albert Einstein

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Tim.
I find the ulu to be a supremely useful blade.
I used one this morning to cut up toast squares for my 2 yr old, in fact. lol. smile
I like what you did with the Japanese knife here.

Cheers,
Eric

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,187
Posts18,503,347
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.