Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hwgtyd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
My time is coming up where I need to specify which Gene Ingram knife he will make for me. Knife will be used for general field dressing & skinning chores for med-large game (deer/elk). Which model would you choose? Originally I was thinking the lite hunter, but now am considering the #5 or #7 drop point. Any/All opinions welcome.
Also, how well does the wood hold up in the field when compared to the micarta? I am waffling worse than a politician on this one! Please help.
Thanks

Ready, Fire, Aim
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a Lite Hunter in D2 and paper micarta and I love it. I would think micarta would be more durable than wood.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Obviously knives are very personal but I had a #7, sold it and now have a lite hunter and a #2 skinner with the blade stretched 1/4" as per another CF member that recommended the mod. Both are in white paper micarta with mosaic pins to be a set. Personally I would definitely go a lite hunter over a #5 or 7, but that's me. I hunt whitetails and usually bone them out in the woods instead of dragging or using machines. I'm sure the lite hunter would put an elk in the pack as well. The lite hunter doesn't lack for much in my opinion. Having said that about micarta, I just bought a Wayne Herron knife in ironwood, it sure is pretty and works hard. Unless I was going to buy a pile of custom knives and use the Ingram as a work knife I'd "gussy it up" a little and go good hardwood and mosaic pins. It's unlikely it'll let you down. As functional as micarta is, nice wood is pretty special and holds up very well. I also just put a knife on order with Rick Menefee and am having it done in ironwood as well.

Just one man's opinion.

Congratulations on a great knife coming your way whatever you choose.

Frank

H
hwgtyd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

Ready, Fire, Aim
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Same dilemma Lite Hunter, #5 or #7.
What would be really helpful and appreciated was is if someone was able to post an image with all three side by side

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]
Here's some Ingram's side by side.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Somehow I knew Antlers would come up with this shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
antlers,
Micarta or G10?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G-10, jigged and blasted.

H
hwgtyd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Antlers-
Very nice sample of Ingrams. For those less familiar with them, can you identify each one in the photo, and offer words of advice? Thanks.

Ready, Fire, Aim
IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Antlers
I'm green with envy
Fine collection, thank you for posting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From left to right...
1. #11 Drop Point.
2. H325.
3. Lite Hunter.
4. Small Boner (named after Gene).
5. Hunter.
6. Yellowjacket.
They are all made from D2 steel, and they all have black liners.
Advice? You can't go wrong getting a Gene Ingram knife. Pick what is appealing to you and use it for your stated purposes. It'll do it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by antlers

Advice? You can't go wrong getting a Gene Ingram knife. Pick what is appealing to you and use it for your stated purposes. It'll do it.

Exactly ! I've got a lot of custom knives, but my favorites are the ones Gene makes. I use mine ALL the time!
You will Never Regret buying a Ingram, as his quality is impeccable & flawless.
+ Gene is absolutely the nicest guy you will ever deal with. A Real Gentleman.

I do, however, prefer his SV-30 models. The G-10 jigged handles are much easier to hold on to when your hands are bloody, but I prefer the Linen Micarta.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
G-10, jigged and blasted.

That is the way I was leaning for my next one. I have an aged bone handled #7 Drop Point (D2) and a fancy Desert Ironwood handled #4 Bird & Trout (S30V) both with black liners and mosiac pins. I was thinking of a Lite Hunter or something along that pattern with about a 3 1/2" blade in S30V with red G10 jigged and beaded, black liners and mosiac pins to match. A deer hunting hard user type knife.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've handled a few now and have formed some opinions. Hope this helps.

If you are looking for a general purpose field knife for dressing and skinning, it would be hard to beat the #7 style or Dropped Hunter in my opinion. For meat processing you may want something with a slimmer blade and more tip, like a Bird and Trout or Slim, to slide between the ribs. The Lite Hunter may be a great compromise between those. I haven't tried a Lite Hunter yet but it is on my short list and know a lot of guys think highly of it.

The size of your hands will play a factor as well. While several of Gene's models look very similar to each other, the overall proportion of the blade and width of the handle varies. If you have larger hands you find you like different models than someone with smaller hands. Unfortunately there is no way to test handle an Ingram knife first (unless you know another owner. If it doesn't fit you the way you want it is easily sold or traded to try a different model. While I like some of mine better than others, I have never received one that I regretted buying. Don't hesitate to call or email Gene when your order comes up to discuss what you are looking for. He has always been quick to offer suggestions to me and will make you something that isn't listed in his catalog as well.

In my experience, the wood scales hold up very well to field use so if you like nice wood, don't hesitate. You will give up little if anything in durability to Micarta. A quick wipe down is all it takes for my wood scales to look like new again.
A little Renaissance Wax will keep them in shape long term.

[Linked Image]

Sorry for my poor photography. I did not begin to do justice to the wood or quality of the finish work.
Left to Right:
1.Custom Slim with a 2 3/4 inch blade in .110 Stock. S30V and Amboyna Burl. I bought to use for caping. A bit short in my opinion for general dressing use.
2.#7 in S30V with Desert Ironwood. 3 x 7. Very comfortable general field knife. A classic Ingram drop point design.
3.#7+ Custom 3 1/4 X 7 3/8. Desert Ironwood burl and S30V. I loved my #7 but wanted to try just a bit more length. He added a 1/4 inch to the blade and a touch to the handle. I really like the way it turned out. I also got to pick out the actual block to use for the scales so this one really feels like a custom.
4. Dropped Hunter 3 3/8 x 7 1/2 in S30V with Green/Black linen Micarta. Also a very comfortable knife for general use.
5. #4 Bird and Trout 3 1/4 x 7 1/4 in D2 with Spalted Maple scales. This is a great processing knife with the slender blade and sharp tip. Obviously works great on small game too as the name implies.
6. #3 Semi 2 3/4 in S30V .110 stock. Black linen Micarta. The handle is just a bit short for me. I didn't order this knife, it was available when I placed another order so I snapped it up. Should make a great skinner with the thin blade stock and lots of belly but I have not found the opportunity to use it.

H
hwgtyd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the great replies. I am not sure I am any closer to deciding which one is for me, but I'm certainly learning a thing or two about Ingrams.

Ready, Fire, Aim
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Antlers...I like ..mean really like the #11 Drop Point

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by hwgtyd
My time is coming up where I need to specify which Gene Ingram knife he will make for me. Knife will be used for general field dressing & skinning chores for med-large game (deer/elk). Which model would you choose? Originally I was thinking the lite hunter, but now am considering the #5 or #7 drop point. Any/All opinions welcome.
Also, how well does the wood hold up in the field when compared to the micarta? I am waffling worse than a politician on this one! Please help.
Thanks

Fixed Sodbuster. S30V, black G10 and 5mm brass pins.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always felt that Gene's Yellowjacket or his Bird & Trout will do 90% of anything with perfection, and the other 10% of the chores with aplomb. In other words, you can't miss.

I sold a gorgeous stag B&T a fews years back, and that is the only knife I ever sold that brings tears to my eyes.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have heavily used my Ingram #7 with ironwood. It is my favorite knife for elk and I've used it to bone out numerous elk in the field, it stays sharp throughout the job. My first #7 (paid $140 new), left with a packer friend who was amazed with the edge after I complete the complete boning job on a 6 point bull.

For deer I would go with his B&T or Yellowjacket.

If I were to purchase a new one I would follow Antler's lead and select a bright colored jigged and blasted G-10.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 43 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,395
Posts18,469,994
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.