-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone spin rolled oats? Corn is too freaking expensive, and oats have more nutrition. Do the oats clog up? Do they work in a feeder? Wanting to try something new this year.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've used a sweet feed type feed by Purina that had oats, sunflowers, various other seeds, and protein pellets. I had to mix it with corn for a good flow. If that stuff would work, oats would be a breeze. We seed oats from an OT spreader, so they should spin fine in a feeder. You'll probably get alot of birds on them, but the deer may eat them as well. Corn may not have the nutrients of other seed, but deer seem to prefer it to other seed. I often hear folks say corn is poor for deer, but I wonder why deer in the midwest are so large when they have nothing but corn to feed on in many areas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some around here use rosted soy beans. I haven't priced them and they may be even more expensive than corn. Deer seem to have to be trained to eat them but once they get started will lap them up.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Corn. And you don't worry about cost. Compared to the rest of expenses feed doesn't make much of a difference in my end bill.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW as corn rises you might consider pricing protein pellets... some years there is only a dollar or so a bag difference.

ANd if the budget gets tight you might check into a bale feeder for cottonseed if you can get it.

only deal on pellets, they can absorb moisture and clog a feeder, have to be careful with that. My feeder plate stays shut by spring pressure so I don't have the issue as bad, but most don't have that type of spinner plate.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I replaced the spinner with one of those bolt on gravity type down spouts and use it for protein - next to a newer corn spinner. Just an option without quite the cost of replacing the whole feeder. You could also make one out of pvc if you like. One thing, this aftermarket one got clogged and I found openings at the folds where the downspout meets the top plate where water and moisture could get in. I duct taped to resolve.
[Linked Image]

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I start corn with C'Mere Deer powder a month before the season. Then shut it down little by little over the month after the season ends. I do not use a lot, just enough to keep a constant flow of Does around the area. Somewhere around 1200 #'s for two feeders for 8 months. One gallon of C'Mere deer powder per 100 pounds of corn.
Compared to the rest of my gear and other fees, $8/100#'s is still pretty cheap.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was getting corn for around $5.00 a bushel last year. I think that is like 56 pounds. I am hearing that corn prices will be way higher this year. I plan on running 4 feeders this year.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where are you located?

We are in Amish country so it stays pretty low unless we have a considerable drought.

No diesel or gas needed for draft horses.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,162
Posts18,503,015
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.