Print Thread
Hop To
L
Laguna Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I'm not sure if this has made the rounds, but it's interesting enough to post again if it has. It's amazing how fearless and incredibly strong the attacking buck was.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. Lots of animals get their best shots in when the king is wounded or helpless.

1Minute
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alberta, about 5 years ago....things had not gone well for me on a whitetail tag and the bad luck continued.I had seen the biggest buck of my life and was prevented from shooting.

In the mistaken belief the buck would return, I was in a natural blind on that field, while another hunter in camp was on a wheat field a mile away.There was shooting.

I got back to camp that night to find out a literal procession of bucks, one larer than another,had marched out into "his" field.It was more than he could stand,and he killed a 160 class 10 point,called the outfitter to come get him.

While waiting to be picked up, a huge 12 point marched into the field,and began to horn the smaller and very dead 10 point lying in the field....actually shoved the dead carcass some 50 yards down the field,goring him repeatedly.

In the meantime, I am freezing my ass off a mile away,seeing tweety birds.... frown

This was all caught on a small Sony video camera and I got to watch the whole thing that night.(sigh!)

The sight of this huge buck(likely an easy 180),unafraid,standing arrogantly in the field 75-100 yards away in the open....was more than I could handle.

I knew I was sunk, having seen two of the biggest whitetails of my life together in a field....and not being able to fire a shot.And now,another buck of a lifetime,in another field close by,while I was somewhere else. eek

I passed on a couple of 140-150 class bucks in what was left of the hunt....went to Grand Prairie....and drank from there to Boston... cry frown smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I shot a buck during the muzzle loader season (early Nov.) west of here a bit-he was a good for the area 8pt and fell where he had come to freshen a scrape just off the edge of a soybean field. I was in no hurry, and I just sat back for a while. Soon a larger 5x4 came through the beans, straight to the buck laying on the ground and "fought" with him, locking antlers and walking around the dead one. Lasted maybe three minutes and it left a dug up area in a circle around the buck I'd shot.

I'd seen film footage of bucks doing that but never in real life.

Golden............
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
AWESOME !!

I too have heard about it and saw it ONCE a few yrs ago on some hunting tv show.

Wow. I think I would have given the other buck a little more room. He might not have been finished.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I posted this earlier this year during Virginia's muzzle loader season.....I shot a 9 pointer early in the morning and stayed in the stand. 30-45 minutes later, a big 8 pointer came out and walked straight to the dead deer. I tried to stop him by grunting and whistling, but he wouldn't stop. Walked to the other deer, bowed his back up like a cat and his hair stood up. When he lowered his head to hit the dead deer, I shot him. He made a turn to get out of there, but fell. Here's a picture of how they were laying when the smoke cleared....
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,194
Posts18,503,541
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.