Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
how in the world do you pattern deer on a property like this?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[img:center]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/kellet1/100_1042.jpg[/img]

Last edited by ringworm; 11/02/11.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You find the yellow ones laugh

On a serious note. Find the whiteoaks that are dropping. They'll hit them first.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, just a matter of which the prefer. Around here its find the pin oaks for some reason, they'll eat those before they eat a live oak...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
rake the woods clean, put them in a BIG pile by your stand. wouldn't hurt to have water there too for em, I always get thirsty when I eat.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
rake the woods clean,

i'll pay YOU $25 an hour to do it. and haul them to my stands. Good thing is I am the only hunter on the property and no one else has hunted it in 14 years. The deer see people riding horses all year and have no fear of humans. when i took these pics today I had a 6 point come out of the woods and walk to within 40 yards of my truck and watch me change boots.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you don't mind baiting, put out some juicy apples.
I get sick of eating steak day in, day out. Don't you?

Have an A1 Day!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
rake the woods clean, put them in a BIG pile by your stand. wouldn't hurt to have water there too for em, I always get thirsty when I eat.

haha! Some might consider this baiting. I'd consider it nature helping you hunt!

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Yep, just a matter of which the prefer. Around here its find the pin oaks for some reason, they'll eat those before they eat a live oak...

That's odd Jeff. Around here pin oaks are #2. Red oak is first then pin oak then post oak then blackjack. No live oak here. Red oaks got hit hard by the drouth. Lot of them dead.

Quando Omni Moritati
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We had acorns like that last year. This year we have NO acorns. I'll take lots of acorns over the alternative any day.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Great problem to have...good luck

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sit in an area where they are dropping and drop little pebbles onto the ground from your stand so that the deer hear it. You would be suprised how quickly deer key into an area of dropping acorns and will walk over acorns that have been on the ground to get to them.

First discovered this while bowhunting a white oak flat that only some of the trees were dropping. I sat and watched deer feed under one that was dropping for a few hours that was about 200 yards away. I grabbed some acorns in the tree I was sitting and started dropping them and after a while a couple of does fed over to my tree. Since then I've been able to repeat it.

Otto is my co-pilot.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
So ringworm,

You got tons of acorns, must be a low deer density area. If we had a place like that here in So. AR you'd get trampled by deer coming to it.

BTW What model Steyr you shooting?

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
you found where they eat.....now...find where they sleep.....

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by magshooter1
So ringworm,

You got tons of acorns, must be a low deer density area. If we had a place like that here in So. AR you'd get trampled by deer coming to it.

BTW What model Steyr you shooting?
We had a mast crop in SW Arkansas like that once ,years ago. Next year none. That none year I squirrel hunted and found a single pin oak that had tiny acorns on it. Over the next week I kill my limit of squirrels from that tree every day.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by NathanL
Sit in an area where they are dropping and drop little pebbles onto the ground from your stand so that the deer hear it. You would be suprised how quickly deer key into an area of dropping acorns and will walk over acorns that have been on the ground to get to them.

First discovered this while bowhunting a white oak flat that only some of the trees were dropping. I sat and watched deer feed under one that was dropping for a few hours that was about 200 yards away. I grabbed some acorns in the tree I was sitting and started dropping them and after a while a couple of does fed over to my tree. Since then I've been able to repeat it.
Never thought to throw the acorn(great idea) but I've seen them move from acorns that have already fallen, to trees where the acorns are actively falling.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by ringworm
how in the world do you pattern deer on a property like this?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[img:center]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/kellet1/100_1042.jpg[/img]
Its been many years since I've seen a mast crop like that. Next year might be very poor if yours follows my experience.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
We have the same problem with beech nuts this year, the area I hunt in the Adirondacks is about a ten square mile patch of beech nuts and every tree is loaded with them. The deer do not have to move out of their bed to get a full belly. I'll swap you some beech nuts of acorns.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
J
jmj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ringworm
rake the woods clean,

i'll pay YOU $25 an hour to do it. and haul them to my stands. Good thing is I am the only hunter on the property and no one else has hunted it in 14 years. The deer see people riding horses all year and have no fear of humans. when i took these pics today I had a 6 point come out of the woods and walk to within 40 yards of my truck and watch me change boots.

You know, what's really funny about that is in Alabama that would be against the law to rake them and place them under your tree. Crazy laws we have here. Good luck with patterning, I'm faced with the same thing. Huge acorn crop.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Irving_D
We have the same problem with beech nuts this year, the area I hunt in the Adirondacks is about a ten square mile patch of beech nuts and every tree is loaded with them. The deer do not have to move out of their bed to get a full belly. I'll swap you some beech nuts of acorns.
Would if I could. Love to hunt squirrel in beech trees. The limbs moving like the tree is alive. Clear cutting and replanting in Pine has done away with most of the beech(never plentiful) and much of the oaks.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Would if I could. Love to hunt squirrel in beech trees. The limbs moving like the tree is alive. Clear cutting and replanting in Pine has done away with most of the beech(never plentiful) and much of the oaks.
Oddly enough I haven't seen one gray squirrel, only red squirrels and chipmunks.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 48 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,294
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.