Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Must have been th mid '80s we started hearing about these battery operated corn feeders for the deer. We were poor boys and couldn't afford the money they were asking but we got to thinking. Bobby Jackson came up with an idea. We saved up our one litter plastic cola bottles all summer and be September had quite a batch. Got a couple of bags of corn. Using a scoop to get it out of the bag and our hand as a funnel, we filled those bottles up. Loaded up the four wheeler and off down the trails and fire lanes we went. Bobby knew where most of the crossings were and we'd drop a bottle off at each one and any likely spot we saw. Checked back about a week later and saw the deer were using them. They quick figured out they could kick the bottles around to get more corn out of them. We'd pick up the empties that we could find and take them back to refill to put out again. Seemed the deer really liked the idea and were using them regular. They would get impatient if we weren't filling them often enough I guess cause we were finding more and more bottles that had been stomped flat as they tried to get more corn. Don't remember how many bottles we had but a bag of corn would last pretty good. Crows and coons didn't seem to mess with the bottles that much. We did that for about five years 'till we could afford the real thing.

Last edited by websterparish47; 12/01/11.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still use that method at my popup blind area. Green Jays will use them like crazy though.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
cool story

If you cant hang'em on the wall
Hang'em between your teeth!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It sounds like a poor man's "pig pipe feeder". Neat idea.

TANSTAAFL
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We used to do that as well. We'd take 2 liter bottles and cut a square hole in the lid with a razor knife. The deer would have a ball with them.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We still use a few of the sewer-pipe feeders strapped to trees down below our camp, as it makes an easy way to watch deer from the porch year round. Also, if a bear finds it, he usually won't tear it up since he can get all the corn he wants by just eating.

Anybody still use the old 5-gallon bucket method? I used to see these in the woods all the time. It was just a lidded bucket hung from a tree branch with a hole cut in the bottom. Take a broomstick or dowel rod, drive a long nail through it near one end, and drop it down through the corn and through the hole so that it sticks out 3-4' from the bottom of the barrel. The nail won't let it slip through the hole in the bottom. As the deer bump the rod, it lets corn trickle out from the hole and fall below the feeder. It has been quite a while since I've seen anyone using this method.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JPro
We still use a few of the sewer-pipe feeders strapped to trees down below our camp, as it makes an easy way to watch deer from the porch year round. Also, if a bear finds it, he usually won't tear it up since he can get all the corn he wants by just eating.

Anybody still use the old 5-gallon bucket method? I used to see these in the woods all the time. It was just a lidded bucket hung from a tree branch with a hole cut in the bottom. Take a broomstick or dowel rod, drive a long nail through it near one end, and drop it down through the corn and through the hole so that it sticks out 3-4' from the bottom of the barrel. The nail won't let it slip through the hole in the bottom. As the deer bump the rod, it lets corn trickle out from the hole and fall below the feeder. It has been quite a while since I've seen anyone using this method.

usta do that but fed more tree rats and coons than deer, have saved alot of corn after going with the timed feeders

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
used all those methods over the years... make pig pipes out of the PVC and stake to ground still today for the one pig hunt I go on.

Cousin used gallon milk jugs full of corn for years.

Its all good methods.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had little trouble affording a $100 feeder it was the 4-wheeler I couldn't afford smile

We did use the 2-liter coke bottles on public land a few times...

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by websterparish47
We'd pick up the empties that we could find and take them back to refill to put out again.

Not to sound like an Enviro-whacko - but how many plastic bottles do you wind up losing in the woods? Kinds seems like littering, don't it?

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Ruger280
I had little trouble affording a $100 feeder it was the 4-wheeler I couldn't afford smile

I had been hunting on foot for 15 years. Gave myself a four wheeler for my fiftieth birthday.

Last edited by websterparish47; 12/01/11.
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Slipstream
Originally Posted by websterparish47
We'd pick up the empties that we could find and take them back to refill to put out again.

Not to sound like an Enviro-whacko - but how many plastic bottles do you wind up losing in the woods? Kinds seems like littering, don't it?
If you can't see them it ain't littering. Haven't used that method for five years, haven't seen one of those bottles in three years.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Ruger280

Dontcha know you can't be a deer hunter without a 4wheeler wink. I never wanted one but it would be great traveling the Sandhills. One can put the corn in coke cans and then sleep on stand till the sound of clinking wakes the hunter. No, I haven't but others have. Raccoons figure it out pretty quick.

Last edited by eyeball; 12/01/11.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We have a 4 wheeler. Have yet to use it for deer hunting.

100 buck feeders. Had my fill of cheap pieces of junk. Never again on cheap feeders.

In fact I'm getting to the point that a big self feeder may be much better than a timed motorized one....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I try to leave the 4wheeler at home when hunting, or maybe just leave it with the truck and go get it for retrieval of a deer. They are just too loud, in my opinion. I bought a little Toyota 4x4 this year and have yet to pull the 4wheeler out of the garage. The Toyota is really quiet, keeps me dry, carries all my gear, and has a heater. LOL....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep. Suzuki samarui here. Still want to save up for a hard top for it though...MUCH quieter than most ATVs.

But we only drive to the stand if Mom wants to sit with us. Hard for a 75 year old to walk too far in the woods.

For Carolyn and I, we walk at least half a mile to get to the stand and back....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ditch that toyota,i'd drag them miles before i buy that junk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always thought that a Samurai with FI and a hardtop would be a handy hunting rig. As far as not driving them all the way to the stand, I agree. We usually park at least a quarter to half mile away and walk in.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by srwshooter
ditch that toyota,i'd drag them miles before i buy that junk.

Toyota is one of the best vehicles we've ever owned. Puts many US made to shame.

As to FI... yeah I wished I had one with FI for sure.... that would be the ticket, but it was between two... that I had a chance at... FI was 2wd....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'd take a good, clean golf cart if anyone wants to part with one. I'd even spring for fresh batteries if it needs it smile

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 24 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,706
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.