-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
I drew a late season deer tag here in Nevada, we are on a lotto system, anyways I have been wacthing the weather hoping it'd stay some what warm. I have a spinal cord injury and get cold easy plus, it's heard for me to hit an animal on the move, especaily when a buck wiln't stop when chasing a doe. So, I have a couple questions first one about the weather is I've heard you need about 5 nights or so of freezing weather to throw the bucks in to the rut, is this true? My season starts the 29th so far it's been in the mid 30's to 40 at night w/ highs around 70, next week at night it's gonna be well here instead of me writing a book here's the link http://weather.weath...tml?zcode=z6286 . Please take a look at it and let me know but, I'm pretty sure this well throw them in the rut correct?
Ok now for my next qudestion for you guys who's hunted archery during the rut, how do ya get a buck to stop from chasing a doe long enough to swing on them and get a shot? Is there anyway to draw them near you, we/ possibly the use of a decoy or somethng of that nature, or maybe even something un conventional methods.
I hunt from a wheelchair out of a ground blind, and w/ a crossbow. Please any info from past experoences or anything at all will help greatly.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can stop deer if they're not spooked by making a grunting sound with your mouth. Watch some videos on Youtube for different variations. Something like this...doesn't have to be loud, just loud enough to for them to hear.

You need to be ready and on target when you grunt because your window of opportunity is small..

On Whitetails, a lot of the rutting activity is tied to the length of daylight and the moon phases.

Not sure what triggers mule deer but I bet it's the same..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grunt calls used to work here on White tails but no more, or seldom. Whistle works for me, now, but for how long, who knows. It got to where everybody was just going to a stand and blowing their grunt call and the deer got to where they don't respond. I only grunt when I can see a deer and gauge his reactions and for the last couple of years they act like they don't even hear it. Doesn't spook them, just no reaction. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Keep a turkey call in you mouth.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by countryby25
I drew a late season deer tag here in Nevada, we are on a lotto system, anyways I have been wacthing the weather hoping it'd stay some what warm. I have a spinal cord injury and get cold easy plus, it's heard for me to hit an animal on the move, especaily when a buck wiln't stop when chasing a doe. So, I have a couple questions first one about the weather is I've heard you need about 5 nights or so of freezing weather to throw the bucks in to the rut, is this true? My season starts the 29th so far it's been in the mid 30's to 40 at night w/ highs around 70, next week at night it's gonna be well here instead of me writing a book here's the link http://weather.weath...tml?zcode=z6286 . Please take a look at it and let me know but, I'm pretty sure this well throw them in the rut correct?
Ok now for my next qudestion for you guys who's hunted archery during the rut, how do ya get a buck to stop from chasing a doe long enough to swing on them and get a shot? Is there anyway to draw them near you, we/ possibly the use of a decoy or somethng of that nature, or maybe even something un conventional methods.
I hunt from a wheelchair out of a ground blind, and w/ a crossbow. Please any info from past experoences or anything at all will help greatly.

The last 5 days are the best if your looking for the bucks to be rutting......good luck!

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

449 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,655
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.