Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I never gave it much thought in the past but moving to Georgia and using tree stands has changed things. Last Saturday, while sitting in a tree stand, I wondered how I would shoot a deer on my right. I had the left and the front covered. The back wasn't much of a possibility, but a deer on the right would be difficult.

Have any of you practiced shooting from your off shoulder?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't think I've done it on deer but I switch shoulders somewhat often when varmint shooting.

I have to be real deliberate and mechanical when I shoot left handed, but it works ok.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Yes I had shoulder surgery a few years ago and had practice shooting from the opposite side I shot really well. I think it was cause I had to really concentrate on tour shot.

Last edited by Batchman; 11/20/12.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Only dry fire practice.

Have shot a couple of deer left handed.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Got one last year left handed. It's suprising how good your trigger control is with your off hand... The first good deer I saw that morning saw me turning to try to shoot him right handed. Next one didn't get that much time. I've never practiced off handed before, it's just come up a couple times. Got a couple woodchucks and crows left handed too.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I do practice that way a bit. I have shot two deer left handed.

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Shot a doe left handed this year beyond correct alignment to anchor the rifle in my shoulder. I had the but plate in my left elbow basically and could just get a finger tip on the trigger lol.

It was very ugly, sight picture in the scope was hard to obtain, and I knew I was gonna catch some scope in my face when I touched it off.

It was the ugliest shot I've ever attempted, into tag alder brush on top of it all. Not proud of it but it worked.

It was the only shot opportunity on a deer for my whole camp this year. So it's a good thing I took it.

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've killed at least a half-dozen deer from the wrong shoulder and two turkey. Snapped a cap on a doe just 2 weeks ago off the wrong shoulder.

I never shoot left handed, unless I need to kill something that way.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am left handed, growing up my dad did not want me to shoot left handed so he taught me how to shoot right handed it did not last I shoot left haned now but every now and then I shoot a deer right handed and I am glad I can

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty much each time I go to the range I take my 77/22 and I shoot offhand @ 50 yds at some orange target dots. I take turns shooting lefty for a clip then righty for a clip. Then I go shoot a group with my big gun and or a couple of groups and then go back to the .22 for the same drill.

I totally enjoy shooting the .22, 90% of the time I go offhand, occaisionally off sticks or sitting. Helps me to do this kind of work plus it's a ton load cheaper.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
i have done it once or twice

If you cant hang'em on the wall
Hang'em between your teeth!!!
R
R
bout 18 yrs ago i got a retinopothy in my rt eye. i am rt handed and rt eyed. had to learn to shoot left handed w/ rifle and shotgun. handgun still use my rt hand but aim w/ left eye. actually wasn't that hard to transition, just tell everyone that it got too easy to hit targets and game with my rt eye so for challange i went to my left. just extra effort to work rt handed bolt gun

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In a pinch I will go to the off side, but it most definitely is not a hurry up deal.

1Minute
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've never tried it. Seems like it would be hard to look through the scope with my left eye. I'll try shooting some targets this weekend wrong handed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have killed about a dozen deer righthanded in my life. i am a lefty but i always practice shooting righthanded . i think this comes alittle easier for us lefties because there are some things in life that are just set up for righthanded people so we must learn to do more with our right hands.

i shot a buck last season right handed with my crossbow for the first time.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Jamie
I've never tried it. Seems like it would be hard to look through the scope with my left eye. I'll try shooting some targets this weekend wrong handed.

As luck would have it, I'm right handed but definitely left eye dominant.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I've been wondering about this very thing. I've never tried it but wish I had. It might have been a valuable skill this past Monday. I had a buck come up from behind on my right side. I was tucked into a hardwood blow-down and couldn't see him coming. A left hand shot might have worked, but I'm not sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just stand up in you tree stand and twist around, problem solved!
laugh It is, after all, called a tree STAND! grin

Just kidding.

The first coyote I called ran in on my right side and there I was, sitting against a tree and unable to do anything. He stopped and we just stared at one another for a few seconds until he decided he didn't like the looks of things. I rolled up on one knee and took a running shot but no dice. Beautiful solid black dog too, the only black one I've ever called up.

I should practice some left hand shots. I've thought about it but never seem to remember when at the range.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It ain't nothing, if you can shoot, you can shoot. I'm not going to do any quick wing shooting wrong handed, otherwise it's nothing magical to switch hands and kill a critter.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It ain't nothing, if you can shoot, you can shoot. I'm not going to do any quick wing shooting wrong handed, otherwise it's nothing magical to switch hands and kill a critter.

Oh yeah, I've tried to shoot skeet and trap left handed, it's pretty ugly...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,889
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.