Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Last weekend, I arrowed a nice Alabama 8 pointer. The shot was early and not great light. I felt good about the shot but wasn't sure as the buck bounded out of sight in somewhat thick pines. I figured I'd wait 30 minutes or so before tracking. After about 20 minutes I heard some rustling in the pines near where my deer ran. I looked and saw a buck struggling n the brush. First, he looked to b struggling to stay on his feet. Front legs stretched forward, back legs stretched back.
I thought, that's my buck getting ready to expire. Then I saw him raising his rack up and down as if rubbing on a tree. I thought, that's not a good sign, ...if he's feeling that good. Then he goes to almost kneeling down and lunges forward, as if plunging his antlers into the thick vines and saplings. His antlers appeared briefly stuck as he jerked them up with a "clank".
Then to my complete surprise, I see the flash of a white underbelly in front of him! It was my deer, dead on the ground the whole time which ANOTHER buck was fighting with. That other buck proceeded to attack my dead buck for another 5 minutes, trying to lock horns and drive him into the ground. This all happened about 60-70 yards from my tree. Absolutely the coolest thing I've ever seen in the woods.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cool! I love the things you see in the woods when enough time is spent there.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
cool

If you cant hang'em on the wall
Hang'em between your teeth!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Turkeys seem to like to flogg the piss outta one of their buddies when his neck gets full of #6 hevishot. LOL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw the same thing happen this November and it's not something I will forget. It was early light and I mistakenly shot the middle-sized buck out of a group of three. The big guy then abused the dead buck for 30-35 minutes, right in my food plot. It was loud and vicious, but really cool to watch. My food plot was tilled up to bare dirt all around the dead buck. The light was not good enough for my Iphone to pick up the event.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I recall my dad telling me about a time when he plugged a doe with his bow. When he found her there was a buck trying to rouse her as if he was going to mount her. They do some crazy stuff. Good story, thanks for sharing.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never seen anything like that, maybe one day!

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OP - Great memory !!

Jp, I remember reading that thread & thinking the same thing !!

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Here's the buck. You can see the sapling that got chewed up in the process as well as the pinestraw that is raked away on both sides of the deer. The whole area around the deer looked tore up.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Amazing what animals will do.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
About 7 years ago I heard a couple of bucks get into it on opening morning. A bit later, I shot a forkhorn as he charged my ground blind..I didn't want to shoot him, but when he was still at full speed at 20 yards I decided he'd taste pretty good.

When I walked out to him a bigger buck came out. I kneeled down in the middle of an open field and that buck circled around us always homing in the forkhorn. When the bigger buck was at 10 yards I decided he'd taste good too. I think the little guy got his butt handed to him by the bigger buck and went looking for something else to beat on. And I'm sure if I hadn't walked out that the bigger buck would have beat the crap out of the dead forkhorn.

These guys were in the height of the rut. When does the rut hit in Alabama?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"These guys were in the height of the rut. When does the rut hit in Alabama?"

If it's anything like the rut in SW Georgia, we didn't get much of a rut this year due to all the crazy hot weather we had this "winter" and a heavy acorn crop kept the deer in the thick hardwood swamps so it was very hard to hunt them.

I had a buddy shoot a piney woods rooter sow in SouthWest Florida once and she must have been in heat because the boars continued to fight over her and kept trying to mount her well after she was dead. Several more shots into the herd failed to drive away the boars. They were intent on that sow.

I've seen hogs return to where one was shot within a minute or so as well and they seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that one of their kind was killed other than a slight curiousity at the dead one's lack of movement.

I've seen deer return to a food plot after one was killed and they continued to feed until something else scared them off...

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Cool memory for sure. Congrats on the buck!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
cool. And nice buck too.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Rut in SW Alabama just starting where I hunt.

Last edited by Cruiser1; 01/21/13.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
amazing animals for sure

You can shear a sheep many times.But you can only skin him once!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Those guys are naive and a bit dumb--that buck has the rut in his eye and could have turned on them.

I have heard of this before. An old cowhand I knew was gored when he stepped in front of his dead buck when another buck came in. Just like these guys, he had laid his rifle down and the buck pinned him for a moment. Luckily his budddy was coming and ran up and shot the buck point blank.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Calhoun
About 7 years ago I heard a couple of bucks get into it on opening morning. A bit later, I shot a forkhorn as he charged my ground blind..I didn't want to shoot him, but when he was still at full speed at 20 yards I decided he'd taste pretty good.

When I walked out to him a bigger buck came out. I kneeled down in the middle of an open field and that buck circled around us always homing in the forkhorn. When the bigger buck was at 10 yards I decided he'd taste good too. I think the little guy got his butt handed to him by the bigger buck and went looking for something else to beat on. And I'm sure if I hadn't walked out that the bigger buck would have beat the crap out of the dead forkhorn.

These guys were in the height of the rut. When does the rut hit in Alabama?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Rut hits where I hunt n Alabama in early-mid January.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Very cool to get to witness something like that.

FJB & FJT
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (160user, 007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,827 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.