Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I bought a 336 30-30 a few weeks ago it was made in 1973. I do not want to put a scope on it because I need it for for some really tight woods and also for a gun I can carry in the truck while out on the farm and get it out fast. This gun will be shot at less than 100 yards and more likely under 75 yards. I shot with the sights set where they were when I got it and it was hitting about 12 inches high at 50 yards. After adjusting the back sight all the way down and taking a very fine sight I am still hitting a good 7 inches high. What am I doing wrong or how do I fix it. It is shooting good groups just high. I have shot muzzleloaders and 22's with open sights and never had this problem.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You may need a taller front sight.

If you decide to go that way, use this formula to determine how much taller.

Sight radius X Error / Distance, all measurements in inches.

Sight radius is the distance between front and rear sights. Not implying you're stupid, I am just assuming you may not know what sight radius is.

For instance, say your sight radius is 16 inches. That would be 16 X 7 / 1800. That works out to about .062". That would be a minimum, and I would want to get my rear sight more in the middle of it's adjustment range, rather than at the end of it.

So, 16 X 12 / 1800 would be about .106"

Please remember, you have to measure your sight radius, the above figure (16") is for my M94 Winchester, or what I think it should be. It has a peep in it, now.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have also found the screw that holds the spring inside the magazine and holds the magazine in place putting upward pressure on the barrel, causing POI to shift upward. This is at the very end of the magazine, near the muzzle.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I suggest you go to skinnersights.com and if you have any questions about sights just send Andy an email and he will help you out.A peep sight is the best and fastest iron sights for older eyes you can get.Andy is a great guy and he will bend over backwards to help you with your Skinner peep sights.
http://www.skinnersights.com/

Like oats through a horses ass, so are the days of my life
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A very good suggestion.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks guys I appreciate the help. Vic I'm going to take a look at that spring screw. I wondered if I may be holding my head wrong, either to high or to low, but I really don't think so. I'm not familiar with skinner sights but I will check them out. I have never shot a peep sight before but if replacing the sights is necessary I am going to seriously consider going that route. Do the peep sights work pretty good in low light conditions? Vic I had no idea what sight radius was and didn't take it that you were implying I was stupid, although my wife might would imply it. Thanks again guys you were very helpful.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Once you use a peep, you'll never use a buckhorn again.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You need a taller front sight. I'm not sure how much, but follow the calculations on the chart referenced above. If you go to a peep sight set up you will need a front sight which is taller yet. This is not uncommon on Marlin rifles, and most people apparently don't bother to change the front sight or they use scopes. I've purchased several used Marlins (The last one a nice 35 from 1968) and most need a front sight change to get the rifle sighted properly.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Try removing the "ladder" from your rear sight and see if that makes a difference.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've got an old JC Higgins model 45 in .30-30 that was my fathers. I put a Williams FP on it and even with a taller front sight from Brockman's it was still too short. Anyone know where to get a taller sight yet?

Last edited by Fraser; 09/15/12.

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bronells sells most anything you should need. There is a chart in thier book, and I assume online as well that will help you calculate the height you need, if I'm not mistaken. You can replace the blade in your existing base and this is what I usually do.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thought I would give an update on my situation. I decided to go with the Skinner and I am very pleased. Not only did it correct my shooting high problem but it has also given me a better sight picture on the target for my older eyes. I was little concerned before I got the sight as to how it would look on the gun. I have a gold trigger 336 so I ordered the black gold style and was very pleased with the looks of the gun after mounting the sight.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You've made a good choice!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looks great! I put a Williams peep sight on mine with a gold-ring rear aperature and love it.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That looks really nice.

I put XS sights on my Marlin (45-70), and to me they are a huge improvement over the open sights.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my skinner express! Also got a front blade and filed it down
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Man those Skinner sights look good on a Marlin lever action rifle.

Like oats through a horses ass, so are the days of my life
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Yeah Deertracker I got the front blade also. Good looking gun you got and some nice sheds to.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks! Just make sure you go slow when you file the front blade. I didn't stop soon enough and mine is shooting an inch or two high at 50 yards but that doesn't hurt me too much

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I got lucky mine was hitting right without having to file. I was glad of that because I was worried about exactly what you are saying.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
211 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 264mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 33 invisible), 1,626 guests, and 748 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,240
Posts18,371,402
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.