24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was given an older Model 336 by my Father in Law a few years ago. It had belonged to his father that had recently passed. I have hunted with it a few times and it shoots "well enough to get the job done." I just checked the serial number on an oldguns website and it stated that date of manufacture was 1949! I had no idea it was that old. That said, the wood has a nice, not spectacular grain, is in good shape, and the bluing could use some TLC. What advice do you guys have as far as finish, coats, etc? By the way, it is not drilled for scope bases and I plan to keep it that way!!! I did install the Williams Receiver sight, and it makes a huge difference. Thanks, Phil

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by philgood80; 10/30/12.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh yea!!! Those old waffle tops are very desirable.
Good call to not D&T the reciever.
As for finish, I recently stripped my 1894 and did a hand rubbed finish with good ol mineral oil from the drug store.
I'm not sure I'd refinish that one though. Not only does it appear to be in pretty good shape to start with, but as you know, refinishing devalues old firearms.

If you do deceide to go forward, here's mine after about a dozen aplications. Each coat is applied, rubbed with xxxx Steel Wool, and allowed to dry for a day. I then finished with Watco, but any carnuba wax like Johnsons or Howards will do. I really like the oil finish over Tung/True Oils, but everyone's different.
[Linked Image]

Hope this helps.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm in the process of refinishing one and restocking one. The biggest advantage of refinishing the one is that the wood had a lot of oil in it. I got out as much as I could, took out the soft stuff, and am bedding it to reinforce it as well as fill in a crack.

I'd make my decision based on that. If all the inletting is good (not black or cracked) and there are no major dents, gouges, scratches I'd likely leave it. That said, I am restocking one I inherited as well as modifying the lever, rechambering it, and refinishing the metal. To each their own.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Man thats a nice classic rifle. Wanna know why I know this?? Because i have one exactly like it only a year younger. '48 model. Mine is in great shape as well. When I bought mine out of the local ads the gun had been sitting in the back of a closet. Finish was all still good on it but had 50+ years of old oil and dirt on it. Just like mentioed above find some 0000 steel wool. Use this with a little oil WD40, Remoil, 3 in one oil or whatever and lightly polish the bluing and metal with it. This will help clean the finish and brighten it up. Going lightly and you will not hurt the finish. How 'bout the stock and forearm? Same thing. Only use some type of cleaner and polish made for wood. I like Howards feed 'n wax or scotts liquid gold. Both found at lowes or home depot. Hope this helps. Old Marlins are about as classic as it gets IMO. Good Luck

A man's got to know his limitations!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Oh ya remember to go WITH the grain when you do your cleaning.

A man's got to know his limitations!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lawnman
I like Howards feed 'n wax or scotts liquid gold.

^Agreed^ Both are good products.
Kinda relates back to 7mmfreaks mention of oil damage to wood where it contacts the metal.
Wiping a gun down with an oily rag before storing is definatly better than storing it with hand prints or the like, but after 30-40 yrs it starts to damage the ajasent wood.
Much better (IMO) is to coat the metal and wood with a good wax, like Johnsons or the Feed-N-Wax mentioned above. Heck, some of my friend even use Turtle Wax. I mean, carnuba's carnuba, right?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all of the input guys. I will be keeping it as is for this deer season, and will take a look at my options in the spring. Thanks again,

Phil

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Another vote for Howard's Feed and Wax. Don't refinish, that devalues the gun. Clean it well and use the Howard's on it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a beauty! Had one like it as a kid & would give a month's pay for it back. Wouldn't touch it. Clean her up & enjoy the knowledge of the history in your hands.

There's a guy close to me that is TOP NOTCH on old leverguns. David Clement in Woodlawn, VA. Clements Custom Guns.
www.clementscustomguns.com
Check out his website & give him a call. Always good advise & knows his stuff.

beati pacifici quoniam filii Dei vocabuntur Matthew 5:9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't touch it. The rifle is a good one and any rifleman would appreciate it for what it is, as it is. It has your wife's family history all over it. Keep it, enjoy it, take care of it, pass it on to a son or son-in-law before you pass away. That way you will know its still in the family and can relate its history.

Just my $0.02 worth....

Harry
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Id leave it alone

"An armed society is a polite society."

Joe S.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
190 members (257 mag, 35, 3333vl, 163bc, 338reddog, 300_savage, 20 invisible), 1,301 guests, and 580 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,465
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.