Print Thread
Hop To
#7119585 11/27/12
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Found this in a pawn shop, owner said he'd take $225.00 for it. It is in very good condition with only slight wear to blueing around the muzzle, probably from a pickup floor board. No wear on the lever and except for a few dings on the stock and blue at the muzzle looks new. The serial number dates it as a 1981 model.

I briefly owned a .30-30 back in high school, a sears or western auto brand but can't remember which. Sold it because it wasn't modern or as good as the .270 and .30-06. What did I know.

So I brought this one home with me and after shooting with irons out to 100 yards. I couldn't hit much with the factory sights and installed a rear peep. I could hold a 5 inch group with the peep sight, and hit a gallon jug of water at 100 yards but, decided I wasn't as good as I once was, and put a scope on it. Leupold VX-1 2-7x33 duplex. Hopefully, if I get to go hunting any this year I'll have some downed deer pics to go with it later.

[Linked Image]

Bob.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That looks very, very business-like.

In regards to the scope, I'm presently running some 1-4X20s, but have to admit that I think the 2-7X33 is more versatile.

Nice looking, and enjoy it. Look forward to the deer pics.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Fishybobtrout,

That rifle looks great for $225.00. anyone here would have also snapped it up. I see the typical rear sling stud is in the Marlin bullseye, tells you alot about the origional owner.

Doc

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
That looks very, very business-like.

In regards to the scope, I'm presently running some 1-4X20s, but have to admit that I think the 2-7X33 is more versatile.

Nice looking, and enjoy it. Look forward to the deer pics.

Vic,

I agree with your scope choice, the Leopold 1-4 or the 1.5-5 just seems to belong on top of a Marlin 336 receiver more so than the 3x-9X scopes so typically seen. A few days ago a Weaver 30mm tube in 1.5-4.5 was posted for sale in the classifieds, the increased field of view of the 30 mm tube just might be the perfect match for a Marlin lever gun.

Doc

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Doc,

I'll have to admit, It did not have a sling on it when I bought it. I added the sling stud as it is much easier to climb into a tower stand/shooting house where I hunt with a sling on the rifle.

What I think the 30 year old rifle with no wear says about the original owner is that he didn't hunt with it much. It will get some blood on it this year with me using it for sure.

Sorry if the sling offended anyone.

Bob.

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Meant to add also,

I debated about the scope. I didn't really want to use one at all. But I had to be realistic about my eyesight and my abilities with open sights. I feel more comfortable with the scope and the straight tube scopes do look better.

I was back and forth over which scope to get but figured for the weight of that 2-7 it wouldn't be bad and if I changed my mind I could unload it pretty easy.

Bob.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bob, I think what Doc meant, is that the bullseye is not the place to put the rear sling stud (although I have heard arguments to the contrary). Over on the Marlinowners forum, they refer to that as "Bubba-ing". Still a great rifle at at very good price. Good luck, enjoy and show us the pictures of the big buck it stops.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by fishybobtrout
Meant to add also,

I debated about the scope. I didn't really want to use one at all. But I had to be realistic about my eyesight and my abilities with open sights. I feel more comfortable with the scope and the straight tube scopes do look better.

I was back and forth over which scope to get but figured for the weight of that 2-7 it wouldn't be bad and if I changed my mind I could unload it pretty easy.

Bob.

Bob,

I think your scope choice is just fine and actually makes sense on a Marlin 30-30 shooting the Hornady 160 gr gummy bullets. My comments on the shorter scopes was based on the Marlin 336's just look right with the shorter length scopes.

Doc

Last edited by Doctor_Encore; 11/28/12.
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Where do they suggest putting the sling? I thought about getting a leather butt cuff from levergun leatherworks but after I priced it, decided that uncle mikes would be good enough.

Bob.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
About half way between the Marlin "Bullseye" and the tip of the buttplate.

Doc

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
About half way between the Marlin "Bullseye" and the tip of the buttplate.

Doc

Yep.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Looking at it now in the photo it does look to be too far forward. I may play around with it and make my own leather cuff for it and incorporate a rear sling attachment in that.

To be honest though, in my daydreams after I bought the rifle. I saw myself using It without the scope or the sling. But after a dose of reality at the shooting range and realizing that I can sort of see the front sight but see two or three rear ones depending on how late in the day it is. I had to be honest with myself and put a scope on it. Once I made that jump it was easy to put the sling on it.

My work just got crazy with me working 7 12's for the next month, maybe longer. Our deer season runs through the end of January so now I'm just hoping to get a few days in before it's over. Might have to call in sick a few days smile

Bob.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Marlin 30-30 carbines are very popular with deer hunters within eastern Pennsylvania and for good reasons. Short and light with plenty of power and accuracy. Ammo is affordable, too.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
No cuffs, looks too Bubba, in fact some places they are reffered to as the "Bubba Cuff" Five shots ought to do it.

No see thru scope mounts wither please. Just me 2 cents.

Friend don't let friends use see through sights!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Dont get better than a $225 30-30!!

"An armed society is a polite society."

Joe S.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Me like!!!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I am in the " No BIg Deal" camp on the bulls eye. Easy fix!

Unless my eye deceives me, your barrel looks shorter than the standard 20". I think it will measure 18.5". Models called Marauder were minted in both 18.5" and 16.25 inches. Either would make your deal that much the sweeter. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Nice piece and a steal at $225!!

Slings are really useful, so use it and try some Hornady Leverevolution ammo in it. My 336SC in .32 Win Spec. likes it.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I'd sure like to run into one in that condition for that price!

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Nice one!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,199
Posts18,503,622
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.