Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I just stumbled on the Elk Research Institute website and was wondering if anybody here has ever hunted with them or know someone who has?

Any feedback would be appriciated.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
don't look like much of a "hunt"....but I guess that don't matter no more....

100% Public land DIY!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by omega1349
I just stumbled on the Elk Research Institute website and was wondering if anybody here has ever hunted with them or know someone who has?

Any place with the name "Elk Research Institute" would rate dead-last for a place I'd want to hunt. Seriously...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Harvest "hunts", 1500 acres, expect shots of less than 100 yards, and no license required

These are things to look for in a non free range type elk experience

If you want a guarantee of "shooting" an elk (lets not call it hunting), this is the place to go. Not my cup of tea

Venor ergo sum
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I agree with all of you. I was looking for a first time elk hunt and came across this place and was a little curious about it. Still looking.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They're researching ways to get in your pocket.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
sorry man that is not a hunt it is a zoo shoot but if you are just doing it for the meat it is a good way to fill the freezer

E
E
Omega1345 , Yes I have hunted at the research ranch , first I would like to say a hunt is kind of like what is a trophy , it is in the mind of the hunter. I have hunted all my life from 6 to I am now 66 , I have hunted Colorado from Crawford to Durango the Southern Ute to west of there . I have hunted Mt. La. Ms. and all over Texas . I had a heart attack and am not able to hunt the mountains any more , so this hunt provided me a hunt I could handle , my wife was also able to hunt with me making it a real special time for us. If we were hunting just any elk we could have filled the bill very shortly, however we were hunting for a trophy of my life an ELK that would hang on my wall , not the small ones that I was able to take all those years of hunting in the past . We hunted hard for the best elk on the ranch and could not find but one of the 2 biggest trophies on the ranch , I ended up taking one that scored 421 and 3/8 with 8x10 points with the most massive set of antlers I have ever seen , everywhere we stopped on the way home we were surrounded by people wanting to view the antlers . As for the research ranch a part of my fee was tax deductable , and they are preforming a much needed research as to how to stop the desease from killing our elk and deer heards , which will help all hunters everywhere . It may not be for everyone , YOU tell me what is? WC Steinmann

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congratulations on your successful and enjoyable adventure. It sounds like you and your wife have some wonderful memories from the experience.

E
E
Sorry for putting the same thing twice .. WC

Last edited by elk21; 06/19/09.
IC B3

E
E
Please take the time to read my post , some of the comments posted are made without kowledge of what the ranch is about and very judgemental . I have hunted a lot in my life and was very satisfied with what I experienced there . WC

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats a fair enough post.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
E
Campfire Bwana , Our family is from Swiss Alp .

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm a bit north, never did much going south of town, but know Swiss Alp well enough!

Your post made a lot of sense. Though I don't want to do that at all, at least not now, it would have made much sense for my dad who was a severe cardiac patient. Wish I'd have known of such a place 10 years ago...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
E
You would be suprised at what age does to you . Thats one thing about whitetail hunting , my Dad killed his last deer at 85 , the year he passed away. WC

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And you are in a blessed place to do it. I have friends that have a small place down just north of Laredo, to my way of thinking it could be a good place to retire to... have a ranch, what you could afford and come back from motorhoming it during the winter...

I don't think I"ll be too surprised, I'm an only child and living on our small 100 acre farm, and have seen and been very involved in 3 of our family passing away. Only mom left and she has a ton of iffy things....

But you don't fully understand this until you get totally there. You can imagine... but nothing like living it.

Glad you've done elk. I'm still trying to kill my first. Figuring we are after cows mostly and at some point will pay for a guided horseback pack in hunt and take what I get for my "only bull" more than likely. Actually have no desire to shoot a small bull when I can shoot cows instead.

Best, Jeff

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
elk21, Thanks for the post. It sounds like you had a great hunt

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by omega1349

Any place with the name "Elk Research Institute" would rate dead-last for a place I'd want to hunt. Seriously...

Really!!!...... eek

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,203
Posts18,503,714
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.