Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2909120 03/24/09
Strick9 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I need one like I need another whole in my head or wallet, but damnit I am getting one for the hogs. Anyone got a line on one. Prefer a RRA, but no sticking point there.

Kind Regards.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
GB1

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I suggest Placing an Order and praying.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I wish I had a line on one, BTW.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had one and sold it. Couldn't get brass and loaded ammo was 50.00 per twenty. Nice round if your wallet is plenty fat.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
When you find brass you buy a ton, like anything especially an off the wall caliber, much like my 50 beowulf. Then you are set.

Shooting factory ammo in any sorta wildcat won't be cheap. 50 bucks is cheaper than a lot of other standard rounds these days.

Neither of the above is anything more than a weak excuse.

And if we compared wallets, mine is probably one of the weakest around the campfire. All depends on what you want and where your priorities are.

There certainly isn't a "cheap" round for the AR that provides that amount of punch.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Strick9 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hell I just want an upper, I will worry about the rest later.

[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
rost495,
No its not a weak excuse. Just plain economics. I can get as much 6.8 brass as I can load. I waited 6 months for my upper. I have 2 45-70 rifles, so I liked the caliber. But I wanted to shoot the thing a little more than two boxes a day. I must have different priorities than you, so I'll chose to shoot what I can reload myself, without paying through the nose to get brass.
Thanks,
Tom

Strick9 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK so I just want an upper, ammo not a problem, getting the upper is..Anyone help me out here?

[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
economics and the AR15 aren't in the same paragraph.

If you wanted the socom, then you knew it was special brass etc. and that should have been in the budget.

If not you bought spur of the moment and didn't research enough.

458 isn't any different or worse than 50 beowulf I shoot. I don't need 5000 rounds of brass, but I keep a couple hundred on hand. Probably will never need more than that either. Works fine, and I can afford a couple hundred rounds.

Much the same to me when I had a factory 300 mag, I used whatever brass, when I had it retubed, I knew right away I had upped the level and needed better brass. So I knew part of the formula was expensive X bullets and expensive Lapua or similar brass.

And how long have you had 6.8... when I got my wildcat off it, 6.8 brass was very hard to come by.... times change. Wasn't cheap either. I didnt' sell it htough, even though my dies cost me almost 200 bucsk.

Stric..... can't help you on an upper, sorry. YOu'll probably have to just wait longer like everyone else.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had the 6.8 for three monthes and already have over 1,000 rounds of brass. I don't enjoy shooting stuff that I can not reload for. Every animal I've taken has been killed with my own reloads.
I don't know how this became a pissing match. I just wanted Strick9 to go into it with his eyes wide open. Lots of luck finding brass. Nice round, just not enough brass available.
Thanks,
Tom

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Tom

I don't want this to be a match, and its not IMHO.

I'm just saying at one point you could buy all the 458 brass you wanted. I suspect it would be hard to find 50 beowulf brass too right now. Personally I'm glad I bought 50 bmg brass when I did and I still don'thave a press for that.

When i bought my 6.8 based wildcat I was given 70 pieces of once fired USED brass and couldn't find anymore for almost a year.

What I'm saying is it hasn't always been like this and wno't be for ever. Now 6.8 will be cheaper, no doubt. But 458 will be available.

Which is a moot point at times like this when I go to a big wholesaler like Grafs the other day and of all the primers they stock, they had ONLY 50 cal primers in stock. Brass wont' matter eitehr if you can't find primers. Both brass and primers have done this before and probably will again until banned. When the supply is there and available and reasonable you simply learn to buy and not rely on store shelves.

no pissin match intended, I just have seen a lot over the years and have a different view of things I guess. That being said I'm in possession of well over 20 K pieces maybe closer to 35K pieces of 223 brass if I dug it all up and and goofy enough to be bidding on buying 130,000 more cases if I can win a bid....

Jeff

Strick9 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I ain't pissn no more, found and acquired a brand new complete RRA 458 SOCOM beyaches. Spence sell me your left overs.

[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
are ya lookin for brass now? If you have trouble finding, let me know, I snoop on brass every now and then and can look and shout if I find any. Finding ANY brass right now is basically sucking... can't get any 7.62x39 brass for my nephew at the moment other than expenisve Lapua.

Were did you find the upper?

Strick9 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I certainly appreciate the offer and will do the same for you if I stumble on anything similar..Got it directed to me via Adam at Bauer Arms. His Buddy has a local shop and viola,,Actually trading a 5.56 Nib for a 458 Nib plus 1 bill.

[email protected]
Genesis 9;2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (2500HD, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.