Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I am looking at a new single stage trigger, and narrowed it down to these two. They both break at 3 lb, the Jard is about 50.00 cheaper, anyone got experience with these two options?

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned both. The Jard was more of a "kit" than a ready to install product. The disconnect on the Jard needed some serious filing before it would work and it was no where near the stated pull weight it was advertised to be.

There is no C/S at Jard that I know of. E-mails were never answered and phone calls go to an answering machine and are never returned.

My Jard went to the dump and I'll never spend another dime with this company. Run a search on the campfire. You'll find a bunch of people dissapointed in this company and thier products.

I have a Timney now and I very happy with it so far. I've had it for about 3 years now and it's never given me any trouble. I've heard some talk about mis-fires with them but have never experienced it with mine. I've shot quite a bit of mil-surp and a little of the steel cased Russian stuff and to this moment it's been 100%. I really like the feel of this trigger too.

The only draw back was I had to bevel the sides of the trigger case to get it to fit. It only took a few minuites to do but it wasn't a "drop-in" fit.

Terry

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you are only talking about these two then I would take the Timney every time. IMO though the JP is the best single stage but a bit harder to install properly.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have one of each; the Jard "kit" was about a 45 minute installation, would have been quicker if not the first one. It is a great trigger, breaks very clean.

The Timney being a drop-in unit was probably a 15 min job, and though immensely better than the original, has just a bit of creep before breaking.

I would go the Jard route for my next one. Nothing like Internet forums for varying opinions!

NRA/TSRA Life
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
These guys are right about the Jard not being a "drop in"

I installed one in my "Grim Reaper" and love it but it took me a few hours to get it where I want.

I got the 1 1/2 lb single stage model and it is awesome.

I blue lock-tited all the set screws when I got everything where I wanted so it would remain constant.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the Timney 3lb on my 6x45. No creep, breaks like a charm, I put in a set of anti walk pins with it also.
Took all of 20 min total from removal to instalation.
With the stock trigger pins I did have a very slight miniscual feel of trigger creep, thus the anti walk pins.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Any trigger can feel a bit mushy if the pins roll. Good assembly makes sure that normal pins don't... and you dont' have to use anti walk ones but you dont' get good assembly from many places due to tolerances of "mil Spec" issues.

I have a swage for snugging my pin holes up in lowers instead, but anti walk pins do work. Just like weighted BCGs' cover up the fact that a gas port was too big.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like KNS pins, especially when using lighter springs.

So rost, this swage you have how often do you have to use it? I mean the pins were designed to rotate, just not walk out.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The pins work much better if they don't rotate. At least if you are after precise trigger work.

Generally my lowers have been snug and the pin won't rotate. The USMC "fixed" that in one of my lowers after it had worn a bit... they swaged the pin end... drove it into my colt lower before I realized what they had done... but 7 barrels later its still fine.

As to walking out.. I"ve never had an issue save one Olympic lower and we swaged that one.

How often do I swage... I've used the tool now on 3 lowers that I can recall. I own more than that is all I'll say. The percentage is low. But its nice to have it in the kit in case....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Timney on a buddies rifle was screwed up real bad. Someone had buggered it up. I sent it to them and they sent a new one to me no questions asked. Timney it is !

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well walking out is due to weak or misplaced springs and has nothing to do with how tight the pin holes are but rotation is why I use KNS pins.

So do you swage the pin or the lower?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep on walking out... never understood how a correct setup could allow pins to walk out.

I swage the lower itself. Easier on AL lower than steel pin.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I know you are an avid AR-15,M-16 shooter with incredible experience and knowledge............but you are a two stage lover and the OP is asking about a single stage. The JP is THE best single stage. while you are at it get their anti-walk pin's. you would be impressed if you would ever try one.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
I know you are an avid AR-15,M-16 shooter with incredible experience and knowledge............but you are a two stage lover and the OP is asking about a single stage. The JP is THE best single stage. while you are at it get their anti-walk pin's. you would be impressed if you would ever try one.

I've often said I wish I was closer to some single stage ones... But I've tried a couple that folks bragged so much on... they were not bolt gun triggers, while the 2 stage can be made to be that crisp....Its why I generally dont comment on SS triggers... if i had to go a route right now with single stage it would be Geiselle though.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
faster lock up times = geissele triggers

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rost495
if i had to go a route right now with single stage it would be Geiselle though.

Looking at Geissele's web site.....they dont make a single.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They did or still do, I haven't talked to Bill in about a year or so, maybe its not there anymore. IIRC they had a big military contract going to, which could affect it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried the Jard on my DTech and thought the Rock River Mike installed was better. Replaced it with a Jewel (crazy difficult install as instructions suck) and its out of this world. Best AR trigger I've ever touched.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The AR Gold is the ultimate black gun trigger, bar none.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Timney or McCormick

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1234, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,862 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.