Print Thread
Hop To
#6460188 04/30/12
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Anybody have experience with Model 1 Sales? I'm planning on acquiring their 7" pistol kit for a project.

Anybody have problems shoulder-firing a padded and/or end-capped pistol, as well? ATF says cheek rests and rubber cane ends are A-ok, so I'm planning on trying that out with the shorty AR, and if I like how it feels I'll build an 11.5" one the same way, probably.

Also, general AR pistol tips.

Right now, the plan is...

Model 1 Sales 7" kit w/ A3 upper, picatinny gas block, and Young 4-rail forend
MBUS front/rear sights
Streamlight TLR-3 in 12 o' clock position
Magpul AFG (Also legal for pistols, according to the ATF)
Bushnell TRS-25 w/ high riser
Single point sling plate + sling
CAA cheek saddle
Rubber cane end

And from there, if I decide I want a muzzle brake, I'll slap one on. Dunno how rough it'll be with the short barrel. Also might end up with rail covers; have no experience with quad-rails, my 16" AR only has a bottom rail.

I'm thinking FDE on black...

- JOG

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stay away from Model 1. Pure crap. It'll be worth the money in the long run to buy quality.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Have you used an AR/kit of theirs before?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner
Have you used an AR/kit of theirs before?

Wouldn't say used, I'd say tried to. Or rather, tried to try to. Upper came with the barrel loose, receiver nut not staked at all, gas keys not staked, etc, etc, etc.... There were other issues, but those were the worst. They did refund my money though. The only thing I can say positive about them.

That ended the buy cheap days for me. I buy known quality products and pay what I have to.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Model 1 Sales typicaly gets good reviews. I have built more than one AR in the past using parts from Model 1 Sales and their stuff is fine. While my RRAs and Scar 16s are better, Model 1 Sales stuff is not junk. Most that state negative reviews either have never used their stuff or don't know how to properly put together an AR from parts.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a 7 1/2" pistol. My advice?

Ear plugs AND muffs! Mine has a compensator on it, and it is LOUD! However, it does help to combat muzzle rise. With an Aimpoint on it, it is way more accurate than I thought that it would be, and fast to acquire the target. It aint the most practical thing in the safe, but it has a bright light attached, and it's good for taking out at night when things are going bump in the night. The blast and the 8 foot fireball alone usually scares everything within a 100 yards away.

I once had a neighbor that would shoot his pump shotgun in the air to celebrate New Year. He drank a lot, and was pretty careless about flinging lead in the air. I brought my little pistol out and ripped 30 rounds into the creek bank in about 6 seconds, and he high-tailed back into his house. The next time I saw him at the Cafe', he asked me what in the he__ it was that I was shooting that night. I just told him it was a pistol. He said that was the scariest dang pistol he'd ever heard. Said it ruined his buzz, cause he didn't know it was me until he thought about it a little bit.

I think it would be handy for clearing rooms if you are in that line of work, but I don't know what the energy levels are. Surely it hits harder than a 22 magnum pistol does. I shoot 75 grain hand loads in mine. I don't rest it on my shoulder. I just grip the front of the mag well and shoot it like a pistol.

I altered a MAC Nine Uncle Mike's type holster for it, but when I added the red dot and the white light, it won't fit any more. I also have a Leupold Compact fixed 4 X pistol scope that pops on and off for longer shots. If it were my choice, I would start with the 11 1/2" rather than the 7" barrel. Mine was a gift, so I didn't have that choice at the time. It was a neat gift though.

Enjoy your new toy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd figured an AR pistol with a C-mag would be fun laugh Impractical and hellaciously loud, but fun.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
In Alabama, you can use any centerfire pistol with "mushrooming" ammo to hunt turkey. I know some who use the AR pistol with a heavy bullet to pass through the turkey without much meat damage. Gives them a 100 yard range vs a 40 yard range with a shotgun.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 45 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,104
Posts18,502,148
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.