Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
...When I've seen people shoot buckshot out of a shotgun, whether it's a cut down 870 or a Benelli M4, the pattern is about 6 inches or so at 25 yards. Granted it has lots of killing power, but it still requires reasonably precise aiming. And you're limited to 8 shots or so, unless you go for one of the semi-autos that take a box or drum mag. An AR with a 30+ round mag is at least a couple of inches shorter overall, holds more ammo, and may arguably be easier to shoot rapidly. Granted, the bullpup shotguns are shorter than even an AR.

When there are so many good AR's around, what advantages does the tactical shotgun still have, in a defensive scenario?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"When the bad guys hear you rack it they'll get scared and give up."
"You don't even have to aim them."
"It'll knock the bad guy right over."

Of course none of those are accurate, but they're still reasons I hear in favor of shotguns all the time. I've spent ten years with a shotgun in my car at work and have never taken one out of the rack.

They're rarely sighted for the slugs or buckshot issued with them, nobody carries more than the four rounds in the tube, almost none of them have slings (so you're stuck with both hands perpetually occupied), low mag capacity, slow to reload, heavy, limited range....I'm not sure why so many departments still issue them.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was gonna mention shotgun breaching, which is a great asset. But it's also a very specific skillset, consumes a lot of ammo and is certainly not defensive.

It's an advantage of a shotgun, but of limited use to the vast majority of folks.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
what advantages does the tactical shotgun still have, in a defensive scenario?
Less over-penetration with shot, unless frangible is used in the AR. And it'll make Goofy Uncle Joe happy.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buckshot will penetrate less, but I found this test where most buckshot loads penetrated the equivalent of 3 interior walls before stopping. In most houses you can shoot from one end to the other without hitting four walls.

It's less, but still dangerous.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't really want to hose down the neighbors with .223 when something is hassling us or the chickens. Don't need 30 rounds, either. I'm anticipating Hilary Clinton as a Victoria's secret model before I have to fight off a squad sized coordinated attack.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a friend of mine who was accidentally shot by his sister shooting a deer that had ran between them. She was using #1 buck. She hit the deer, but one shot hit his forarm and broke his bone. Another hit the stock on his gun and broke the stock. Measured the distance and it was 72 yards. Buck shot is dangerous. However even with cylinder bore, it really doesn't start to scatter until over 20 yards unless you are using bird shot. Then a cylinder bore only does about 30" with birdshot at 20 yards to be effective. For home self defence, Turkey or goose loads would be more effective inside the home. Buckshot only makes a machine gun out of a shot gun at between 20-50 yards. Under 20 yards bird shot or slugs are more effective. So, like he said a 223 with 30 round mags have got you covered from 5-300 yards. Up close under 20 yards, a good handgun is probably more effective than a shotgun, because of its small size.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is just a different option

Is it best?

I don't know

Is it good

I think so

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I cannot see any situation in my HD needs where a handgun would be
More effective than a shotgun.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I guess there's an intimidation factor with a shotgun, but is it any more than a pistol, or a black rifle? Beats me.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not interested in intimidation. This isn't TV.

If I'm pointing a weapon at a 2 or 4 legged threat, its to kill it, not scare it.

Last edited by Rancho_Loco; 06/26/13.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I'm anticipating Hilary Clinton as a Victoria's secret model before I have to fight off a squad sized coordinated attack.

You just scared the chit out of me. Oh and made me throw up. The shotgun is loaded and ready!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm not interested in intimidation. This isn't TV.

If I'm pointing a weapon at a 2 or 4 legged threat, its to kill it, not scare it.

That right there is the god's honest truth.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I dunno, I still have one in the bedroom, and its first rounds are birdshot.

Yes you still have to point it correctly, but its so handy, can take out snakes in the yard etc.. without having to so precisely aim with the AR.

It will or should handily kill whomever may be in my bedroom or house with #8 loads.

Nope it doesn't carry tha tmuch ammo, but then thats what hte fall back to the AR is for.

And yep, I have the AR handy too, because if you get much outside our large yard fence the shotgun doesn't work so much for yotes and the like.

Of course we also have a 22 handy.. with super colibri, to handle cow birds, snakes, varmints in teh yard too... nice and quite, doesn't scare the one stupid dog, doesn't wake up the neighbors and so on.

IMHO each gun you have can sorta be considered a speciality one...

If I had to go with a do all survival gun I'd likely pick the shotgun over the AR.

If I had to go with a do all defense gun, I'd have to pick the AR.

Neither is best in every instance.

Could be a joy though.. at least its an excuse to have a few more guns!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I'm anticipating Hilary Clinton as a Victoria's secret model before I have to fight off a squad sized coordinated attack.

You just scared the chit out of me. Oh and made me throw up. The shotgun is loaded and ready!
Now that's funny! And scary!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A legitimate question indeed. I am just in the process of putting together an 870 for home defense. Magazine capacity doesn't concern me. Maybe I'm being a bit naive, but I just don't anticipate getting into and extended gunfight. That's more for the T.V. shows than for real life. I figure if anything's going to happen in the house, it's going to be over quick-one way or the other. I like the shotgun for this, and can't imagine anything more scary than looking down the business end of an 870.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I just hope they never get to see the gun... I want em dead long before they see it, realize its coming. If you are in my house, you've made a deadly mistake. The way I see it.

But I digress.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't believe the typical homeowner pump shotgun at 10 feet is as good as a 223 at 10 feet. Provided the 223 has a light and an aimpoint on it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I don't believe the typical homeowner pump shotgun at 10 feet is as good as a 223 at 10 feet. Provided the 223 has a light and an aim point on it.

I fail to see any advantage at 10 for the AR with or without a light

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I don't believe the typical homeowner pump shotgun at 10 feet is as good as a 223 at 10 feet. Provided the 223 has a light and an aim point on it.

I fail to see any advantage at 10 for the AR with or without a light

+1

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,920 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,837
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.