-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Was just reading an article on the Sympatico web site where the Toronto police, as a pilot project, want the public to register their cell phones. Apparently this is in response to increasing numbers of robberies where cell phones are stolen.

Sounds like there are parallels here to the gun registry. Sounds all right until you step back a bit and look at some of the similarities.

What do you think?

Jim

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I understand that the cellphones can be tracked with GPS by their signal. I am lost as to why registring them is needed. But, government works in strange ways.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just another underhanded way of tracking people and gathering information.

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If ya look hard enough, there's probably a conspiracy in there somewhere. There must be. There hasn't been one for a couple weeks. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Every phone already has a unique ID number, known to the industry. No need for registration. Just go to the industry if one needs info.

OkieDokie
IC B2

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The consiracy is likely just to create more red tape,that way they can fine you for not having a licensed/registered cell phone.My Dad told me during WWII everyone had to register their radios.

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
In order for your cell phone to work, it has to have been activated by a service - - ain't that like a registered user type of thing?

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yup,to activate its registered thru your service provider and I bet its registered thru the crtc

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Has anyone asked the police just why they want the phones registered? Any reason been given?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's a tempest in a teapot.

It sounds like they had a slow news day. If it was an actual departmental release, it would be a request for voluntary registration, since the Toronto force has no legal power to make people conform.

Oddly, I tried to get people to do this about ten years ago. I offered a database for phones. All you had to do was to send me $10 to get on the list.

Gary from the Fraud Squad phoned (using a land line) and told me I was being a bad boy. Funny, I was only trying to help!

The $10 was for, um, administrative fees... whistle

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (1minute, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,126
Posts18,502,517
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.