Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm planning on a a six week trip up through the inland passage, thru Alaska, and south on the Alcan in July/August. I've taken firearma into Canada in the past, NewFoundland and Sask., with no problems but the usual permits for my hunting trips. I'd like to pack a shotgun for protection in the motorhome. I will not be hunting, either in Alaska or Canada. Will I have any problem crossing the border with a scattergun used for personal protection? Thanks, Stoney.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No problems, just stop at the border, fill out the paper work, and pay the fee. I'd be inclined though to tell them I'd doing a little birding in Alaska.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is it you feel you need protection from? A group of us took a 2 month trip through the same area and the biggest hazards we faced were tires shredded or window glass broken by flying or jagged stones encountered on the detours where road reconstruction was taking place.

Just wondering.

Jim

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Print and fill the forms out in advance but do not sign until instructed.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Driving on any highway portends to possible scenarios that might require a good scattergun:)

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remember here in Canada personal defense with a fire arm elicits all kinds of negative official response. I will confirm what is required with a chum working the border with CBPS.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. Stoneybroke;
In my experience with various LEO up here, I believe that Mr. 1minute and Mr. medicman have given you very excellent advice that will make life simpler if followed.

I have found that very few Canadian LEO are �gun folks� so their perception of what you are carrying is often the difference between a pleasant 5 minute chat and 4 hours of frustration trying to explain Canadian Federal Firearm laws to them.

My recommendation for a shotgun would be one with a wooden stock that looks as close to Uncle Bill�s favorite duck gun as possible.

If I wasn�t going bird hunting, I would most certainly be shooting some trap or skeet when I get to Alaska. A flyer advertising a club shoot anywhere in Alaska at the time would be a very handy item to have along.

I would think that having it in a locked hard case and having an additional trigger lock on it when crossing the border would score points as well.

I wish it wasn�t this way most times here, but that doesn�t mean it isn�t, hopefully this is of some use to you.

Good luck on your trip through here, I hope you have a memorable and wonderful time.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
What is it you feel you need protection from? A group of us took a 2 month trip through the same area and the biggest hazards we faced were tires shredded or window glass broken by flying or jagged stones encountered on the detours where road reconstruction was taking place.

Just wondering.

Jim

Hippies!

Kevin Haile
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Stoneybroke:
No one's mentioned it so I will. No firearm may be carried in a motor vehicle, trailer, bicycle etc. that contains ammunition in the chamber OR magazine. Doesn't matter whether you are moving or parked. Completely empty! Trigger lock, cased and out of sight in a secure place is a great way to make friends with Canadian LEO's. Given all that your need for a gun is pretty limited while travelling in Canada. It takes longer to get it ready for use if necessary than you are likely to have time for. A good axe on the other hand has no such regulatory restraints and is always loaded.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I keep a spear by the door. I don't know how an intruder would feel, but if I was confronted by a 300 pound hairy man threatening me, I would retreat. It also gives me more reach than an axe, but the axe would be more effective in close quarters, and you could chop wood for a fire to cook.
Randy( tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by medicman
I keep a spear by the door. I don't know how an intruder would feel, but if I was confronted by a 300 pound hairy man threatening me, I would retreat. It also gives me more reach than an axe, but the axe would be more effective in close quarters, and you could chop wood for a fire to cook.
Randy( tongue firmly planted in cheek)

I like the spear idea. A pot of hot water does wonders too! wink

It's not worth the trouble to take the scattergun. I have yet to see many problems with RV visitors. While the Canadian people are nice people the border guards are not so nice. I recently went through and was detained and searched for 4 1/2 hours with no guns or ammo and looking like most clean cut 55 year olds in a clean car. They just did not beleive an American would go anywhere without a firearm! (they were right for the most part!) Sitting in a plexiglass enclosure while watching them strip your vehicle and just tossing everything back in for over 4 hours was ridiculus.

Last edited by mtgoat; 06/07/09.

Walk softly and carry a big stick. Prefferably one that shoots big bullets.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
How long ago did they do away with allowing handguns in sealed cases? Even as an Alaskan cop I have to mail my pistol from Haines to my FFL because I need to travel 120 miles through Canada to Tok. There is a permit process but it takes about 90 days for a decision. What a PITA! Lou

Last edited by Dr_Lou; 06/11/09.

NRA Benefactor member
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Link to the RCMP (firearms info)-- Mounties http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/

Dept. of justice (excessive force)-- http://canada.justice.gc.ca/

Canada Customs (forms needed)-- http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/menu-e.html

There is a certain type of mentality that thinks
if you make certain inanimate objects illegal
their criminal misuse will disappear!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
LOL ... Mt Goat ... if that is your picture in your avatar you are just too 'clean' ... you are obviously up to something ...

I cross with guns every hunting season ... I am usually bearded and long haired ... the only problem I have had at the border in recent years is when I didn't have a gun to declare ... being a Guide they know I should have a gun.

Fill your paper out in advance (in triplicate) .. do not sign untill told to do so .. pay your $25 (in CD $'s) .. your good to go for 60 days .... line (6) reason for bringing firearms into CA = "in transit" ...

Works for me ...

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I pulled this off of BATF's website. I think in some cases it may be a better way of getting your guns to a shoot or hunt, than to try and carry them with you by air etc. If I go to hunt in Alaska, I will ship my gun(s) to myself, c/o the hunting guide. Probably in a locked hard case. He let's me know they have arrived safely and I then go with less worry. Reminder, ammo can NOT be shipped in the same case with the guns.
==================================================
(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity ?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
This post is very refreshing and reminds me once again of why it is I never go to Canada crazy crazy crazy crazy

Too old to suffer fools
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just a point of law, in Canada you do NOT need to lock your non-restricted firearm while it is in transit, that is a law for storage only. The RCMP prints a nice little pamphlet that explains the requirements, I keep one in my car just in case any overly enthusiastic police officer thinks my guns need to be locked up. The car itself does need to be locked if the guns are inside and nobody is there to look after them, but that's just common sense to avoid theft.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Canada is a beutiful country. My family owns a cottage on Lk. St.Clair in Ontario. Gun laws are awful though. Funny story. Only time i have ever had a gun pulled on me was in Toronto. You would think being from Detroit i would have alot more to worry about at home. Just goes to show...outlaw guns and only outlaws will have them. Im all for taking the 12 guage. You never know when you will have to defend your life. If you could predict when you would need one...you would never need one, you could just avoid that situation. Better to be judged by however many jurrors you all use up there than to carried by six in a pine box!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim

Just wondering.

Jim

That's a scary ass response.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never been on the Alaska Highway without something.FT.ST John, FT. Nelson have lots of druggies .Always looking for a easy score-target.Wouldn't be without..Remember Laird Hotsprings anyone?Dam shame what happened there.

Last edited by 7 STW; 09/02/09. Reason: added to post
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 79 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.