Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Brian Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
have Benelli, will travel

always thought England and Australia lost all their pumps and semi automatics to gun bans and had surrended them.

Last edited by Brian; 04/02/12. Reason: poor spelling
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
And why, exactly, would you actually choose to use one of those nasty boom-boom-boom shotguns where gentelmen and ladies hunt the moors?

Terry

B
Brian Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
because i already own 3 benellis and used hollands and purdeys excite me but i can't afford them, and SKBs are junk lol. perhaps the other gentlemen in the moors can look the other way lol

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

You can use semi auto shotgun there. Just fill the documents to temporary import them in Eire.

I know it for sure cause i did it.

Good hunt

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Brian
have Benelli, will travel

always thought England and Australia lost all their pumps and semi automatics to gun bans and had surrended them.

Say man, how you gonna feel and look, dressed in your tweed jacket, little tweed hat, tall leather boots and tie, holding a Benelli. Of course, bring a full camo model, just for effect. I sorta like Mossy Oak Breakup, but they're only available in Realtree APG and Advantage.... laugh

Not sure which pattern would "blend in" better... shocked

DF

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I were to visit, I'd go without shooting if my only choice was a plastic stocked semi-auto. There must be someone there willing to loan or rent a fine double.

Same with fishing. Although I own about 15 fly rods, I'd have to acquire some bamboo before being seen.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/03/12.

1Minute
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 1minute
If I were to visit, I'd go without shooting if my only choice was a plastic stocked semi-auto. There must be someone there willing to loan or rent a fine double.

Same with fishing. Although I own about 15 fly rods, I'd have to acquire some bamboo before being seen.

Now, there's a man with some class... cool

DF

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Class and ethic don't have anything to do do with your rifle, shot gun or clothing! I know some whealthy guys with very fine shotguns, high class french walnut, english engraving, very nice tweed garnments but they are real [bleep] with no class at all and no respect for nothing except their [bleep] money...

Class is in the man, his attitude toward other people and countries and the way he lives and act.

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Dom has it down correctly!!!!! jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by writing_frog

Class and ethic don't have anything to do do with your rifle, shot gun or clothing! I know some whealthy guys with very fine shotguns, high class french walnut, english engraving, very nice tweed garnments but they are real [bleep] with no class at all and no respect for nothing except their [bleep] money...

Class is in the man, his attitude toward other people and countries and the way he lives and act.

Dom

Thanks for that, Dom.

I like your reasoning.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+ 1 with dom ...

And if one feels better with a classical double in classical double country, that's fine too, but not every classical double has to be a luxus expansive shotgun from the finest manufactures.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
because i already own 3 benellis and used hollands and purdeys excite me but i can't afford them, and SKBs are junk lol. perhaps the other gentlemen in the moors can look the other way lol

Git yerself a Stevens 311 & take it over thar

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Git yerself a Stevens 311 & take it over thar

Mike

Should kick some serious azz with that one... laugh

DF

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You will likely find most of the locals shooting ordinary Browning and Beretta over-unders.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Most of hunters i know there (not a lot) use over under but lots of european (continental) hunters come to Eire to hunt woodcocks, lots of french and italians. Most of them use doubles but some come with the same shotgun they use at home for the game.
Could be a Benelli Becaccia, a 121SL80, a Beretta or Browning with 61 to 66cm barrel (24 to 26inches)and open choke.

I never heard of any problem with hunting rights owners, guides or peoples met while hunting with semi auto me included.

I know and i've seen hunters with such shotgun be far more ethic and respectful(killing less each day and during the whole trip) than some with nice side lock doubles who come there to kill more than they are allowded in their own country (particulary for woodcocks).

Where i go (south of country, close to Cork)you can hunt pheasant only roosters, woodcocks, snipes, wood pigeons, some hares.
If you're in right time you can use rifle to hunt roes and sikas. In some parts there are also good hunting opportunities for wild goats and red deers.

Firearms must be declared before entering the country, papers to fill but easy to do. Just ask your guide, friend who as hunting rights or travel agency to send you documents.

Enjoy your trip, drink some Guinness stout beer. Irish are nice people and country beautiful.

Dom

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

Back to the original question.

Yes they are, but unless you are duck/goose flighting then you will get some disapproving looks. It would be much easier to borrow one from the people you will be with.

Pumps and semis are limited to 3 shots unless you have an FAC

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Never had bad looking or bad moothing with old Benelli 121SL80 in Ireland. In France too, semi auto are two and one shots so doesn't matter and pump are forbidden till 95 now, so doesn't matter too.
Don't want to push the semi auto, got doubles also, but i was just answering question: if our us friend wants to bring is semi, if it has 2 plus 1 round capacity, and filled all the papers, then, yes he can hunt there without problem. Exept if laws has been changed till january...

Dom

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One thing is Usually forbidden in Europe (and i think it's normal): leave your empty shells in th� environment. That's why i don't use � semi auto: no Time to look for the shells everytime i shoot. I'd like to use � pump instead such as � browning bps, th� safer way to hunt th� thickets with th� bird dog...

Last edited by grand_veneur; 04/08/12.

Va t'in tch�re !
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hi Alex,

Had a great Wingmaster 870, but our [bleep] crazy politicians banned the pump in 95 for hunting.
Normaly i use double, most of time not mine, test guns kindly loaned by distributor, i prefer extractor to ejector. When using semi auto, where i hunt, i always have time to pick up my empties, not too much pressure when after woodcock or partridges.

Have nice Easter

Dom

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love Ireland and am ready to go back.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it and just be yourself. If a stuff shirt looks down on you who cares I think most Irishmen would respect you more by not dressing out like something you are not.

Last edited by southwind; 04/09/12.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 2,870 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,957
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.