24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
I covered Megabucks as a photographer for Chevyevents.com last month on Douglas Lake in Tennessee. This was the first tournament ran by BASS under the management of ESPN and the last tournament for a long time friend, Ranger Boats.<P>As the cliche goes, this wasn't my first rodeo. I had been to several top 150's in my lifetime, just never one this big. I left the house figuring to be impressed with the organization and script so to speak of a tournament of this size. Impressed? Not! First off, I couldn't believe it took 1 hour and 20 minutes to launch 24 some odd tournament and camera boats. For those not around tournaments, the typical BFL or charity tournament with 150+ boats will launch the whole field in under 2 hours complete with boat check by the techs. <P>The second disappointment was the people in charge. None of them seemed to know a thing about bass fishing. The previous ones I had seen, Ray Scott was running the show, and everyone was a fisherman. The guy I was supposed to meet at 4:45 am to get my badge didn't get out of bed till 9 am. <P>BASS was formed with the honest intention of furthering Bass Fishing as a sport. Possibly it worked too well under Ray Scott. It has attracted Major League ownership of the organization which includes dozens of state federations and thousands of local grass roots clubs. I fear, gone are the days of focusing on the good the local clubs do to promote the sport, and in are a new days that showcases multi-millionaire sports figures who will eventually turn the common man away just as Baseball strikes and Football brushes with the law have.<P>Skipper

GB2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It will never be the same. FLW is even worse.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting - about to observe my first tourney up close.

They're here in GB this weekend. Course all the pro's are whining that the DNR didn't include Sturgeon Bay in the approved tournament area. DNR is concerned about fish mortality with the long run time between here and there and water temp. I agree with the DNR.

Kinda funny to see all these "professionals" claim there's no fish here.

If we get some weather (we're not supposed to) - I'd like to see how those low freeboard bass boats handle that.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Any time that BIG comes along with any sporting activity, it at first looks like it is something wonderful, but as time passes, people begin to catch on that as it is in most things, BIG is not a good thing for the average person. This has been most evident in auto racing.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wouldn't look good at all: but you usually don't run a race horse in a hog wallow.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my opinion, the tournament scene hasn't been the same since the prizes grew so large. I dabbled in pro bass fishing many years ago, right when the pots started getting bigger. It just wasn't very fun any more. To the guys who have adapted to this format and consistently cash a check, more power to ya'. Everybody's got to make a living somehow. When it got to the point that even our club tournaments were turning into such big productions, I stepped away, and don't regret it for one minute.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
410 members (1lesfox, 222ND, 320090T, 160user, 3333vl, 12344mag, 38 invisible), 1,727 guests, and 697 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,596
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.