Home
I use a fine diamond stone followed by a piece of flat ceramic with a drop of oil. Work on them until they shave and call it good.

I've heard of folks using files for a rugged edge and also heard of guys using cardboard and rouge.

What do you like best?
I use Slick Tricks when I shoot a deer I just replace the blades
http://www.speedysharp.net/

knives and blades... don't throw those slick trick blades away, they're the easiest blades to sharpen... lol.

Kent
A 00 Frictionite razor hone.
i use a butchers sharpening steel if the head has been filed previously. if not, i use a file first, the finish with the steel. i generally shoot 2-blade 125gr magnus, zwickey, or 150gr grizzlies.
Depends on the head. On Rocket Steelheads I use a small file. On replaceable fixed blade heads (Thunderheads, etc.) I remove the blades and use a flat stone. On fixed blades like Zwickeys I use my Lansky.
I use a KME sharpener to sharpen both my broadheads and knives. I don't have the talent to get them as sharp as I want them by sharpening freehand with a file and stone, and I know opinions differ, but I haven't seen a draw across sharpener that can even be used in the same sentence as the KME system. I want mine smooth and surgical sharp. I can get them there with the KME. No offense to anyone, it's just my opinion.
Originally Posted by krp

knives and blades... don't throw those slick trick blades away, they're the easiest blades to sharpen... lol.

Kent

Is this device in your post really that good? Are you the owner of the company? I am always looking for a better mouse trap.
I've tried just about everything (on everything) over the years, found I like the little EZE-LAP Diamond hone&stone.
It's small 3/4" x 6", weighs almost nothing, fits anywhere.
I don't even take the G5 Mag Striker or Techtan (deployed) broadheads off the arrow, a couple drops of water, gently pass the stone past the edge like trying to shave a piece off the stone. Even passes on each side and each blade. The nice thing is, it's quick, not so aggressive that it'll mess up the blade, and shavin' sharp in just a few strokes! I carry one in my archery pack,rifle pack,ice fishin bucket (auger blades and fish hooks). I know some of the commercial sharpeners are great, too, but start getting bulky at times.
Just my $0.02 worth opinion..
Lansky works great
Originally Posted by ULA24
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Is this device in your post really that good? Are you the owner of the company? I am always looking for a better mouse trap.

What I like is you actually cut metal off the edge with the tool, instead of honing the blade on a stone or steal, easy to use on small edges like a broadhead.

Owner? don't know who owns it... I'm just a construction worker that uses the product... a good tool for a specific job I understand.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

What I like is you actually cut metal off the edge with the tool, instead of honing the blade on a stone or steal, easy to use on small edges like a broadhead.

Owner? don't know who owns it... I'm just a construction worker that uses the product... a good tool for a specific job I understand.

Kent

Thanks Kent
Originally Posted by RockinP
I've tried just about everything (on everything) over the years, found I like the little EZE-LAP Diamond hone&stone.
It's small 3/4" x 6", weighs almost nothing, fits anywhere.
I don't even take the G5 Mag Striker or Techtan (deployed) broadheads off the arrow, a couple drops of water, gently pass the stone past the edge like trying to shave a piece off the stone. Even passes on each side and each blade. The nice thing is, it's quick, not so aggressive that it'll mess up the blade, and shavin' sharp in just a few strokes! I carry one in my archery pack,rifle pack,ice fishin bucket (auger blades and fish hooks). I know some of the commercial sharpeners are great, too, but start getting bulky at times.
Just my $0.02 worth opinion..

Thanks also, may have to try these products.
Originally Posted by dale06
Lansky works great

Ain't that the truth! Few production-grade knives and broadheads come from the factory with a good edge, so I often use the Lansky on them before the first cut is made. Once the proper edge geometry is established with the Lansky, I touch-up a dulled edge with hard ceramic sticks and they are right back to scary sharp in just a couple strokes (unless I really bugger-up the edge). Every knife owner should have a Lansky.
best thing I have found is the KME system...Absolutely scary friggin sharp, period. Haven't bought blades since I've had it.
If you haven't heard of it, google them. He's a one man show out of NJ IIRC
did you save one of those for me ?? lol - i hope - i really would like one !
Plain ol' whetstone and 3 in 1 oil
Originally Posted by hoyt3
best thing I have found is the KME system...Absolutely scary friggin sharp, period. Haven't bought blades since I've had it.

Are you using the KME system on "replaceable" blade heads? That would be nice. I would like to use Slick Tricks but hate buying blades.
I use the X Block on my Snuffers, along with a leather strop to finish
Originally Posted by hoyt3

Are you using the KME system on "replaceable" blade heads? That would be nice. I would like to use Slick Tricks but hate buying blades.

Slick Tricks are easy to sharpen. I've been using the same blades for about 5 years now, and practice with them on a block target for about a month before archery season starts. I don't take the blades out to sharpen them, as I've found doing so can change the flight, moving point of impact up to a couple of inches at 30 yards. I use a Smith's Edge Stick; it's small and light enough to take on hunts and is also good for touching up knives in the field while butchering. http://smithsedge.com/products/product.asp?id=67&cid=4
Originally Posted by dale06
Lansky works great
Smith and Gatco make almost identical ones. All are equally good. I have the Smith that I got as a gift. I'd be equally happy with any of the 3.
I use my Smith sharpening tool with fine diamond and Arkansas stone. I shoot a recurve with traditional cedar arrows and two blade Magnus broad heads.
© 24hourcampfire