Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I use a fine diamond stone followed by a piece of flat ceramic with a drop of oil. Work on them until they shave and call it good.

I've heard of folks using files for a rugged edge and also heard of guys using cardboard and rouge.

What do you like best?

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
I use Slick Tricks when I shoot a deer I just replace the blades

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
http://www.speedysharp.net/

knives and blades... don't throw those slick trick blades away, they're the easiest blades to sharpen... lol.

Kent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 00 Frictionite razor hone.

"A world without string is chaos."
Lars Smuntz

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i use a butchers sharpening steel if the head has been filed previously. if not, i use a file first, the finish with the steel. i generally shoot 2-blade 125gr magnus, zwickey, or 150gr grizzlies.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends on the head. On Rocket Steelheads I use a small file. On replaceable fixed blade heads (Thunderheads, etc.) I remove the blades and use a flat stone. On fixed blades like Zwickeys I use my Lansky.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I use a KME sharpener to sharpen both my broadheads and knives. I don't have the talent to get them as sharp as I want them by sharpening freehand with a file and stone, and I know opinions differ, but I haven't seen a draw across sharpener that can even be used in the same sentence as the KME system. I want mine smooth and surgical sharp. I can get them there with the KME. No offense to anyone, it's just my opinion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by krp

knives and blades... don't throw those slick trick blades away, they're the easiest blades to sharpen... lol.

Kent

Is this device in your post really that good? Are you the owner of the company? I am always looking for a better mouse trap.

I've tried just about everything (on everything) over the years, found I like the little EZE-LAP Diamond hone&stone.
It's small 3/4" x 6", weighs almost nothing, fits anywhere.
I don't even take the G5 Mag Striker or Techtan (deployed) broadheads off the arrow, a couple drops of water, gently pass the stone past the edge like trying to shave a piece off the stone. Even passes on each side and each blade. The nice thing is, it's quick, not so aggressive that it'll mess up the blade, and shavin' sharp in just a few strokes! I carry one in my archery pack,rifle pack,ice fishin bucket (auger blades and fish hooks). I know some of the commercial sharpeners are great, too, but start getting bulky at times.
Just my $0.02 worth opinion..

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Lansky works great

NRA Patron
IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by ULA24
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Is this device in your post really that good? Are you the owner of the company? I am always looking for a better mouse trap.

What I like is you actually cut metal off the edge with the tool, instead of honing the blade on a stone or steal, easy to use on small edges like a broadhead.

Owner? don't know who owns it... I'm just a construction worker that uses the product... a good tool for a specific job I understand.

Kent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

What I like is you actually cut metal off the edge with the tool, instead of honing the blade on a stone or steal, easy to use on small edges like a broadhead.

Owner? don't know who owns it... I'm just a construction worker that uses the product... a good tool for a specific job I understand.

Kent

Thanks Kent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RockinP
I've tried just about everything (on everything) over the years, found I like the little EZE-LAP Diamond hone&stone.
It's small 3/4" x 6", weighs almost nothing, fits anywhere.
I don't even take the G5 Mag Striker or Techtan (deployed) broadheads off the arrow, a couple drops of water, gently pass the stone past the edge like trying to shave a piece off the stone. Even passes on each side and each blade. The nice thing is, it's quick, not so aggressive that it'll mess up the blade, and shavin' sharp in just a few strokes! I carry one in my archery pack,rifle pack,ice fishin bucket (auger blades and fish hooks). I know some of the commercial sharpeners are great, too, but start getting bulky at times.
Just my $0.02 worth opinion..

Thanks also, may have to try these products.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dale06
Lansky works great

Ain't that the truth! Few production-grade knives and broadheads come from the factory with a good edge, so I often use the Lansky on them before the first cut is made. Once the proper edge geometry is established with the Lansky, I touch-up a dulled edge with hard ceramic sticks and they are right back to scary sharp in just a couple strokes (unless I really bugger-up the edge). Every knife owner should have a Lansky.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
best thing I have found is the KME system...Absolutely scary friggin sharp, period. Haven't bought blades since I've had it.
If you haven't heard of it, google them. He's a one man show out of NJ IIRC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
did you save one of those for me ?? lol - i hope - i really would like one !

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Plain ol' whetstone and 3 in 1 oil

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hoyt3
best thing I have found is the KME system...Absolutely scary friggin sharp, period. Haven't bought blades since I've had it.

Are you using the KME system on "replaceable" blade heads? That would be nice. I would like to use Slick Tricks but hate buying blades.

F
F
I use the X Block on my Snuffers, along with a leather strop to finish

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by hoyt3

Are you using the KME system on "replaceable" blade heads? That would be nice. I would like to use Slick Tricks but hate buying blades.

Slick Tricks are easy to sharpen. I've been using the same blades for about 5 years now, and practice with them on a block target for about a month before archery season starts. I don't take the blades out to sharpen them, as I've found doing so can change the flight, moving point of impact up to a couple of inches at 30 yards. I use a Smith's Edge Stick; it's small and light enough to take on hunts and is also good for touching up knives in the field while butchering. http://smithsedge.com/products/product.asp?id=67&cid=4

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 40 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,578
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.