Home
Have a new to me Remington 700 BDL stainless scoped up and ready to shoot. Got a wild hair to give the 160gr Partitions a go in this one. Anyone care to share some pet loads for this combo? I have on hand RL26, H1000 and IMR's 4831, 4350, 7828. Have some other options but these seem to be best fitted for the job. Thanks for the info!
IMO, RL-26 is the champ with the 160 gr. in the 7RM.

DF
Posted By: WMR Re: 7mm Rem Mag w/160gr Partitions - 07/22/23
A match made in heaven. A true “ mouse to moose” load. Looks like you’ve got your options covered, even with the glaring omission of H4831. Not much one couldn’t do with that rifle/cartridge/bullet combo.
Re-26 and 180 ELD Smooches. Hint………..
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Re-26 and 180 ELD Smooches. Hint………..
Haven’t tried those. Have a Brux 8 twist 7RM; that should be a good combo.

DF
Big Green OEM 7mm RemMags stabilize them nicely,at low tide in Winter. Though I have more than a few 8’s too,which grant .838 BC Beer Cans. Hint………………
I've had good results on elk with the 160 Partition in a NULA chambered in 7x61 Sharpe & Hart. While loading data varies a little from the 7mm Remington Magnum, ballistically the cartridges are almost identical. However, I've had three barrels on my rifle. The first two were very accurate with the 160 Partition. The most recent barrel doesn't shoot this bullet with the same degree of accuracy the others were capable of, but I've found this to be pretty common with other barrels and Partitions.

A Sendero in 7mm Remington Magnum is reasonably accurate with the 160 Partition; fine for hunting, but other bullets are more accurate. Still, Partitions are always worth trying.
If I’m going to shoot .450 BC’s,it’s going to be in .224” not .284”. Hint…………..
Excellent elk round Imr 4831 62.5 gr large rifle mag primers gives me approx 3023 fps and under half inch groups.
I have used the 160-grain NP in the 7RM a lot. It just plain works. I've mainly used IMR7828. My suggestion is to start with about 63 grains of it. Add powder until you reach 3000fps then stop. However, I agree that in today's world, the way to go is using high BC bullets.
When I was lugging a 7MM RM around all it got were 160 Partitions and R22. Every bit as good as my 30-06 with 180 grain Partitions.
I load 140’s, only shoot deer and pigs, sometimes an Aoudad. Max I can see is 300 yards. They have always done well in my 7 mags
Around 69.3 of H1000 shoots 160 partitions very well in my 26” 700; ~3k fps.
Originally Posted by duke61
Excellent elk round Imr 4831 62.5 gr large rifle mag primers gives me approx 3023 fps and under half inch groups.

Will try this. Thanks

Originally Posted by gte901m
Around 69.3 of H1000 shoots 160 partitions very well in my 26” 700; ~3k fps.

Will try this as well. Thanks
58.5 gr R26 is my 7mm Rem Mag recipe with 160 Partitions. R-P brass, WLRM primer. A bit over 3k.

P
Not one of the powders you listed but here's one I use (26 inch, 1 in 9 Rock Creek barrel).

Bullet: Nosler 160 gr. Partition
Powder: Alliant Reloader 25 69.0 grs.
Primer: Federal 215
Case: Federal
LOAL: 3.285 (2.745 Base to Ogive with Stoney Point)
Velocity: 3030.59 fps
ES: 34.16
SD: 17.02
About 70 gr of H1000 will do.
Here's one that does use a powder you listed.

Powder: IMR 7828 64.0 grs.
Average Velocity: 2919.70 fps
Extreme Spread: 27.44
Standard Deviation: 10.53
Originally Posted by pbcaster45
Not one of the powders you listed but here's one I use (26 inch, 1 in 9 Rock Creek barrel).

Powder: Alliant Reloader 25 69.0 grs.
Velocity: 3030.59 fps
ES: 34.16
SD: 17.02

Yep. Great elk medicine.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
58.5 gr R26 is my 7mm Rem Mag recipe with 160 Partitions. R-P brass, WLRM primer. A bit over 3k.

P
Also works with 160 NAB.

IIRC, I used 57.5 gr RL-26.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

P
Also works with 160 NAB.

DF

Your #'s are off........add 10 grains of RL-26 and you'll be in the ballpark.
Posted By: WMR Re: 7mm Rem Mag w/160gr Partitions - 08/30/23
I see Alliant lists 65.9 grains as max for that combo in a Fed case. That sounds like a crackerjack load!
Originally Posted by Fotis

P
Also works with 160 NAB.

DF

Originally Posted by Fotis

P
Also works with 160 NAB.

DF

Checked my data.

160 gr. NAB over 67.5 gr RL-26 is my buds PG Africa load.

Finger on the wrong button?

Thanks for the correction.

DF
Like hanco I've used 139 to 140's and a few 160 npt's. Last weekend I spotted a pile of 154 gr sp hornady's on a table at the gunshow. I traded the guy a modified bayonet and 45 bucks for 6 boxes of 154 gr sp's. Nothing in that bayo so I got some inexpensive shooting lined up. I'll be damned if I can see where the 154's won't do the job just as good as npt's for the deer I hunt..mb
They should work.

I’m wanting to try Hammer bullets.

DF
Biden made me do it.

68.5 gr R26.
Posted By: WMR Re: 7mm Rem Mag w/160gr Partitions - 08/31/23
Biden made me do it.

68.5 gr R26.

A published load, or a personal primer popper? Asking for a friend.
Originally Posted by WMR
Biden made me do it.

68.5 gr R26.

A published load, or a personal primer popper? Asking for a friend.
I used 67.5 gr, as that proved to be a very accurate load at around 3K FPS.

Pharmseller's load isn't over the line; seems to work for him.

To me, RL-26 is about the perfect 7RM powder, although I've used a number of others, several mentioned in this thread.

If I had to chose one, it would be RL-26, although it's not the only option, but is one of the best. IMO, of course....

DF
It’s darned good in my 7 WSM and Rem Mag.
Originally Posted by ShortMag11
Have a new to me Remington 700 BDL stainless scoped up and ready to shoot. Got a wild hair to give the 160gr Partitions a go in this one. Anyone care to share some pet loads for this combo? I have on hand RL26, H1000 and IMR's 4831, 4350, 7828. Have some other options but these seem to be best fitted for the job. Thanks for the info!

Lots of options already given. I have not tried RL26, but have read that it is great.
With 160gr PTs I have had good success with RL22 (65-67gr should get you 3000fps, my accurate one is 65.7gr fun side of 3050fps), 7828 and 4831. I didn't push 4831 after I got my hands on RL22.
Originally Posted by Sponxx

Lots of options already given. I have not tried RL26, but have read that it is great.
With 160gr PTs I have had good success with RL22 (65-67gr should get you 3000fps, my accurate one is 65.7gr fun side of 3050fps), 7828 and 4831. I didn't push 4831 after I got my hands on RL22.
I see a Houston address. You’re probably like me here in LA, unless we travel, our hunting doesn’t include harsh temp fluctuations like some areas. H-4831 is more temp stable than RL-22. I’m replacing RL-22 with RL-23, which reportedly is more temp stable.

In my .240 I use MRP, which I’ve read is a more refined version of RL-22, more consistent lot to lot. Can’t say I’ve proved that, just what I’ve read.

In todays world, you shoot what you can find. A bird in hand….

DF
Of the powders you list, 7828 would be my start with the 160. Rumor has it that 7828 was designed around the 7 rem mag back in the day...

I keep gravitating back to the 175 grainers in mine. Retumbo did good in an ol' tang safety ruger then reloader 22 In the newer ruger hawkeye with 175 grainers.

Did work up a 160 gr speer spitzer load with 72 grains of Retumbo in the Hawkeye that averaged 3048 from the chrono and made one inch groups at 100 yards though....
I remember reading that about 7828.

Several good 7RM options and it’s not a hard round to load for. Guess it depends on what shoots best AND what is available.

To me the top dog is still RL-26, if you can find it. I was fortunate to snag a big jug back in the day.

DF
Originally Posted by Sponxx

I see a Houston address. You’re probably like me here in LA, unless we travel, our hunting doesn’t include harsh temp fluctuations like some areas. H-4831 is more temp stable than RL-22. I’m replacing RL-22 with RL-23, which reportedly is more temp stable.

In my .240 I use MRP, which I’ve read is a more refined version of RL-22, more consistent lot to lot. Can’t say I’ve proved that, just what I’ve read.

In todays world, you shoot what you can find. A bird in hand….

DF

You are right, not a whole lot of variation in temps, which is why I can get by with RL22, upper 20s and upper 90s are the temp ranges I have hunted in with that gun. Hopefully will get to travel more, but for deer, pigs and nilgai, that load of 160s at 3k has been just right. I have a little 4831, a few pounds of 7828 (also used for the 243win) and 1# of AA4350, but plan on getting RL26 if I see it
RL 22 has worked great for me as well, along with RL26 and Retumbo with 160's.
Shot some 160gr AB's that I had loaded with 61.5gr of RL-19 for another 7rm and this rifle shot them pretty well. About .75" @ 100yds. Not a bad place to be but will still try load work-up when time permits.
If you are running them about 3,050 fps and getting acceptable/stellar accuracy/precision, I'd say you are done. Regardless of what powder you are running. I personally preferred RL25 to get the job done. In 2 of my 7mm Rem mags, I could not get that speed with RL22 and the 160gr partitions. Also got some weird detonation (hang fires) with that powder, that I did not care for. YMMV...
My 700 KS likes 65.5 grns of 7828 with Fed 215 primers in Peterson brass seated .015 from the lands. From experience and research it seems Partition bullets don’t like a lot of jump. Start close to the lands and when you hit pressure you can back out and see if the accuracy improves or not.
Originally Posted by Hiawatha
My 700 KS likes 65.5 grns of 7828 with Fed 215 primers in Peterson brass seated .015 from the lands. From experience and research it seems Partition bullets don’t like a lot of jump. Start close to the lands and when you hit pressure you can back out and see if the accuracy improves or not.
Your username have anything to do with Kansas?
No. I’m a lot farther south than that. But I’ve been there.
Every 7 Rem Mag that I've had was throated to allpe a 160 NPT to be seated to the base of the neck, hence essentially 7 Wby velocities via a little more powder capacity.

RL22, 25 & 26 almost always give best velocities & usually good/ best accuracy, IME.

7828 is about next on the list.

MM
Posted By: CP Re: 7mm Rem Mag w/160gr Partitions - 09/17/23
Reloader 25 has always been the good magic powder for all of my 7mm Rem mag. loads. However, Scheels in Great Falls had StaBALL HD for $37. xx/lb, and I bought 3lbs to try to duplicate the performance of my R-25 loads.

The StaBALL HD is touted as being temperature insensitive, to have a copper fouling reducing ingredient, will provide good load density in the 7mm mag case and is Available, so I am going to try it.
Originally Posted by CP
Reloader 25 has always been the good magic powder for all of my 7mm Rem mag. loads. However, Scheels in Great Falls had StaBALL HD for $37. xx/lb, and I bought 3lbs to try to duplicate the performance of my R-25 loads.

The StaBALL HD is touted as being temperature insensitive, to have a copper fouling reducing ingredient, will provide good load density in the 7mm mag case and is Available, so I am going to try it.

Let us know how you make out.
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by CP

Let us know how you make out.

Sounds damn interesting.
Originally Posted by lotech
I've had good results on elk with the 160 Partition in a NULA chambered in 7x61 Sharpe & Hart. While loading data varies a little from the 7mm Remington Magnum, ballistically the cartridges are almost identical. However, I've had three barrels on my rifle. The first two were very accurate with the 160 Partition. The most recent barrel doesn't shoot this bullet with the same degree of accuracy the others were capable of, but I've found this to be pretty common with other barrels and Partitions.

A Sendero in 7mm Remington Magnum is reasonably accurate with the 160 Partition; fine for hunting, but other bullets are more accurate. Still, Partitions are always worth trying.

I could never get PT’s to shoot in anything I tried. And, I tried a lot.
Posted By: CP Re: 7mm Rem Mag w/160gr Partitions - 11/07/23
To follow up with my preliminary results using StaBALL HD under 160 gr. AccuBonds in my 7mm Rem. Mag., I achieved a multi string average velocity of 3009 ft./sec. - just short of using manual max loads. Unfortunately, my groups were fair at best and the magic sweet spot has eluded me. Maybe this spring I can chase this a little bit more, but right now I don’t feel like messing with it.
Originally Posted by Reloder28

You are doing something wrong for sure. Partitions generally shoot very well in every rifle I've tried them in. 6mm/243 to 375H&H.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Reloder28

You are doing something wrong for sure. Partitions generally shoot very well in every rifle I've tried them in. 6mm/243 to 375H&H.
I've tried Partitions in many cartridges and rifles. Accuracy results were very good in about 50% of them, about the same percentage as other bullets? (just a guess). Poor to mediocre in the rest.
Tagged.
I've tried Partitions in many cartridges and rifles. Accuracy results were very good in about 50% of them, about the same percentage as other bullets? (just a guess). Poor to mediocre in the rest.

Did you check bullet runout/alignment? I've found Partitions to be more sensitive than other bullets to being seated "crooked."
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Did you check bullet runout/alignment? I've found Partitions to be more sensitive than other bullets to being seated "crooked."
Interesting.

I have also found a Partition likes it when you put the gas to it as well.
Oh, yeah, whether using a little more powder--or a slightly faster powder.

The last was the long-time advice of Gail Root, the head designer at Nosler for many years.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Or a slightly faster powder.

The last was the long-time advice of Gail Root, the head designer at Nosler for many years.

This may explain why I have never had an issue getting them to shoot. I usually lean towards the faster side of powders and lean on it. The cartridges I have used them in are cartridges where IMR-4064 is a good fit.

Regardless of cartridge being loaded or bullet in that cartridge I seem to find accuracy easier with faster powders......if that makes sense.
© 24hourcampfire