-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Every 7 Rem Mag that I've had was throated to allpe a 160 NPT to be seated to the base of the neck, hence essentially 7 Wby velocities via a little more powder capacity.

RL22, 25 & 26 almost always give best velocities & usually good/ best accuracy, IME.

7828 is about next on the list.

MM

GB1

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Reloader 25 has always been the good magic powder for all of my 7mm Rem mag. loads. However, Scheels in Great Falls had StaBALL HD for $37. xx/lb, and I bought 3lbs to try to duplicate the performance of my R-25 loads.

The StaBALL HD is touted as being temperature insensitive, to have a copper fouling reducing ingredient, will provide good load density in the 7mm mag case and is Available, so I am going to try it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CP
Reloader 25 has always been the good magic powder for all of my 7mm Rem mag. loads. However, Scheels in Great Falls had StaBALL HD for $37. xx/lb, and I bought 3lbs to try to duplicate the performance of my R-25 loads.

The StaBALL HD is touted as being temperature insensitive, to have a copper fouling reducing ingredient, will provide good load density in the 7mm mag case and is Available, so I am going to try it.

Let us know how you make out.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by CP

Let us know how you make out.

Sounds damn interesting.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by lotech
I've had good results on elk with the 160 Partition in a NULA chambered in 7x61 Sharpe & Hart. While loading data varies a little from the 7mm Remington Magnum, ballistically the cartridges are almost identical. However, I've had three barrels on my rifle. The first two were very accurate with the 160 Partition. The most recent barrel doesn't shoot this bullet with the same degree of accuracy the others were capable of, but I've found this to be pretty common with other barrels and Partitions.

A Sendero in 7mm Remington Magnum is reasonably accurate with the 160 Partition; fine for hunting, but other bullets are more accurate. Still, Partitions are always worth trying.

I could never get PT’s to shoot in anything I tried. And, I tried a lot.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
To follow up with my preliminary results using StaBALL HD under 160 gr. AccuBonds in my 7mm Rem. Mag., I achieved a multi string average velocity of 3009 ft./sec. - just short of using manual max loads. Unfortunately, my groups were fair at best and the magic sweet spot has eluded me. Maybe this spring I can chase this a little bit more, but right now I don’t feel like messing with it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I've had good results on elk with the 160 Partition in a NULA chambered in 7x61 Sharpe & Hart. While loading data varies a little from the 7mm Remington Magnum, ballistically the cartridges are almost identical. However, I've had three barrels on my rifle. The first two were very accurate with the 160 Partition. The most recent barrel doesn't shoot this bullet with the same degree of accuracy the others were capable of, but I've found this to be pretty common with other barrels and Partitions.

A Sendero in 7mm Remington Magnum is reasonably accurate with the 160 Partition; fine for hunting, but other bullets are more accurate. Still, Partitions are always worth trying.

You are doing something wrong for sure. Partitions generally shoot very well in every rifle I've tried them in. 6mm/243 to 375H&H.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Reloder28

You are doing something wrong for sure. Partitions generally shoot very well in every rifle I've tried them in. 6mm/243 to 375H&H.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've tried Partitions in many cartridges and rifles. Accuracy results were very good in about 50% of them, about the same percentage as other bullets? (just a guess). Poor to mediocre in the rest.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Tagged.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've tried Partitions in many cartridges and rifles. Accuracy results were very good in about 50% of them, about the same percentage as other bullets? (just a guess). Poor to mediocre in the rest.

Did you check bullet runout/alignment? I've found Partitions to be more sensitive than other bullets to being seated "crooked."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Did you check bullet runout/alignment? I've found Partitions to be more sensitive than other bullets to being seated "crooked."
Interesting.

I have also found a Partition likes it when you put the gas to it as well.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Oh, yeah, whether using a little more powder--or a slightly faster powder.

The last was the long-time advice of Gail Root, the head designer at Nosler for many years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Or a slightly faster powder.

The last was the long-time advice of Gail Root, the head designer at Nosler for many years.

This may explain why I have never had an issue getting them to shoot. I usually lean towards the faster side of powders and lean on it. The cartridges I have used them in are cartridges where IMR-4064 is a good fit.

Regardless of cartridge being loaded or bullet in that cartridge I seem to find accuracy easier with faster powders......if that makes sense.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 11/10/23.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

253 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 29 invisible), 2,029 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,746
Posts18,495,188
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.