Home
I wouldn't mind spending a nickel a primer but $100+ per thousand is ridiculous. Think we are ever going to return to sanity?
There is not a lot of incentive in the industry itself to lower the prices.
And then there is us consumers...so many of us...for so long...have been dealing with no supply or substitutions, we are still buying far more than we need, it's just human nature, stock up Fudd, hard (er) times are a comin'.
And then there are the speculators...or gougers...buying everything they can get their filthy hands on...hoping to make a killing.
I suspect that in the not too distant future we will look back at today's prices and think they weren't so bad after all.
Thing is, that hardly anybody factors in, these days in particular, is the component manufacturers DON'T need the consumer reloader to make bank. With all the war fronts on fire right now, and the speculation of even more to come, all they need is a solid government contract. You will pay what the market will bear, you will tolerate shortages, and that's all there is to present reality.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I suspect that in the not too distant future we will look back at today's prices and think they weren't so bad after all.
Alas, you may be right.

Before the Clinton primer shortage in the 90's primers had been priced at $12 per brick, suddenly dealers started pricing them at $20 per brick when you could find them. I remember going to a gunshow, seeing that and thinking "no f*cking way am I going to pay 20 bucks for a brick of primers!!!"

Yeah, well....
Like Yogi Berra said, it's hard to predict stuff, especially about the future so who knows, there may be light at the end of the tunnel that isn't a train.

After the Obama I or II shortage there was a glut of primers on the market and prices fell dramatically. Sportsman's Warehouse was trying to clear them out as low as $24/brick when the "normal" price before that particular shortage had been around $29-32.

So you never know. I sure hope to God they fall some. If/when I run out of my "bought at a good price" stash, I can talk myself into maybe buying them at around $75/brick but still can't swallow $100 per, and in many cases a lot more than that.
We will have to wait until after Trump is back in office, and things cool down in the foreign countries. The last thing I heard from a couple store managers is prices are going to rise again. So we may be looking at high prices for a few more years. 2 if we are lucky. After a change in administration, that the country really needs, I'd imagine prices will drop back down into the $60/brick area. It's just a waiting game, but that is my prediction. We can come back to this thread in 3 years and see that I'm right too.. Like I always say, those that think this is the "new normal", are part of the problem.
I bought a brick of large rifle primers from midway a week or two before Christmas. $148 shipped, I was not happy about it. I didn't really need them either. But want if...those are the last ones?
Originally Posted by Gojoe
I bought a brick of large rifle primers from midway a week or two before Christmas. $148 shipped, I was not happy about it. I didn't really need them either. But want if...those are the last ones?

CCI 200's are $99 a brick in my neck of the woods. I actually bought some CCI34's a couple months ago, for $67/brick. You guys paying that high of prices, are also part of the reason prices are so high.. It will be a few years, before prices come back down. Trust me on that one..
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I wouldn't mind spending a nickel a primer but $100+ per thousand is ridiculous. Think we are ever going to return to sanity?

Nope. Perhaps around the edges a bit, but today is the new reality.
They have come down some, and more are available than previously. Who knows what the next year or so will bring? Better to have some than not IMO, so if I was short, I’d pop for some and use them judiciously, just as I do with .410 shells for clays, or save them and shoot cheap factory more often, or .22s. You can get 9mm for $.25 and .223 for $.50-.$60 if you shop around and look for sales and free shipping.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Like Yogi Berra said, it's hard to predict stuff, especially about the future so who knows, there may be light at the end of the tunnel that isn't a train.

After the Obama I or II shortage there was a glut of primers on the market and prices fell dramatically. Sportsman's Warehouse was trying to clear them out as low as $24/brick when the "normal" price before that particular shortage had been around $29-32.

So you never know. I sure hope to God they fall some. If/when I run out of my "bought at a good price" stash, I can talk myself into maybe buying them at around $75/brick but still can't swallow $100 per, and in many cases a lot more than that.

One never knows, but based on my normal amount of rounds shot per yr pre-shortages, and also including what I load for others, if I stick to even that (which overall I haven't shot as much the last several yrs,) I'll likely never have to buy another LR or LR magnum primer again, and that's what my goal was when I realized this mess was upon us.

I got fortunate and was able to build up on what I had to make sure I was at that level before prices got completely wacky. Paid $45 a brick for a bunch of them. Way more than I was paying before, but cheap now.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

CCI 200's are $99 a brick in my neck of the woods. I actually bought some CCI34's a couple months ago, for $67/brick. You guys paying that high of prices, are also part of the reason prices are so high.. It will be a few years, before prices come back down. Trust me on that one..

I hear you, I was not happy about it. I do not know of any gun shop within 150 miles that has any LRP , powder is over $60 a pound if they have it. It is a sellers market right now.
The world being what it is, the future availability of arms and ammo is questionable.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
They have come down some, and more are available than previously. Who knows what the next year or so will bring? Better to have some than not IMO, so if I was short, I’d pop for some and use them judiciously, just as I do with .410 shells for clays, or save them and shoot cheap factory more often, or .22s. You can get 9mm for $.25 and .223 for $.50-.$60 if you shop around and look for sales and free shipping.

I stocked up on 9mm and 223 when i could get 124 grain 9mm for 10 cents, 55 grain 223 for 21 cents, 62 grain for 27 with free shipping. Primers were cheap too but i didnt need any. Sad that i just opened my last brick of 7 dollar 550 22lr packs from wallyworld in 06.

I dont look for prices to drop much under the 60-70 buck range based on price increases since 90’s. Hell CCI BR series went from 32 bucks to 55 bucks after Obummer but people still buy em.
Beans ,bullets and band aids the 3 B's get them while you can.
No!... not significantly anyway... $75-$100+ a brick is the new normal... buy them if you need them... or wait for a possible? slight price drop...
Not as long as folks continue to buy them as soon as they hit the shelf.
Originally Posted by gregintenn

I am inclined to believe that the rules of supply and demand are not true factors in this case.
I feel like ammo component suppliers have gotten a taste of the covid inventory model. Trickle inventory out keeps demand up as well as prices. Make more money with less overhead. Some car manufacturers are still doing the same thing also.
A dime for a primer,

But Powder prices can be .50 cent for a center fire round,

Some jugs are approaching 400$ or even over 400……

Thing is, every single time I go to a range or shoot clays,

Lots of people are there,

The demand for components is huge.
If the manufacturers WANT the prices to come down they will. They’ll turn them out like gangbusters until they have met, or exceeded demand.
Just out to Scheels locally they had cci small pistol and mag sp 69.99 a brick. That's about as cheap as I expect to see them get. No large rifle primers at all.
We’ve gone from the biggest hoarding event the shooting world has ever seen to a full house run on munitions by half the world’s militaries.

One big military primer order exceeds what we burn through in a year. Plus most of the governments in the western world have told the munition manufacturers to start producing. Most countries have War Production Acts similar to ours.

Japan military spending is the biggest proportion of GDP since…….1945.

The German Parliament has voted to spend the biggest proportion of GDP since……..1945.

Look at Enduron powders—that plant went from 8k 155mm artillery rounds to 12k a month, and is adding on to the facility to make 20k+ a month.

Rheimetal—one the biggest munitions manufacturer in the world appears to have secured financing to build a 25k artillery rounds a month plant.

The raw materials have be dug out of the ground, refined, combined, and processed just to arrive at the basic components.

This kind of demand creates scarcity of basic materials/commodities and is sending prices through the roof.

From Poland to the Philippines the whole world is arming up, and civilian recreational shooters/handloaders are the last hairs on the tip of the tail.

There’s no conspiracy here—unless we choose to point the finger at Putin, Ping….and Iran.
Wonder why there are SR and SP primers readily available but LR and SP primers not so much?

Because most military small arms use SR and SP primers and manufactures are directing production towards those primers. It’s easy to peel off a half million SR and SP primers each month when they are making a million every day or so.

But not many LR and LP primers are being made right now.
Originally Posted by gregintenn

I am inclined to believe that the rules of supply and demand are not true factors in this case.
And certainly not the cost of manufacturing!
If you won't pay, then maybe you won't play either.
Reloading supplies will never come down in price very much and most likely will keep going up.
I’m glad I have a bunch, enough to take me out I think.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
We’ve gone from the biggest hoarding event the shooting world has ever seen to a full house run on munitions by half the world’s militaries.

One big military primer order exceeds what we burn through in a year. Plus most of the governments in the western world have told the munition manufacturers to start producing. Most countries have War Production Acts similar to ours.

Japan military spending is the biggest proportion of GDP since…….1945.

The German Parliament has voted to spend the biggest proportion of GDP since……..1945.

Look at Enduron powders—that plant went from 8k 155mm artillery rounds to 12k a month, and is adding on to the facility to make 20k+ a month.

Rheimetal—one the biggest munitions manufacturer in the world appears to have secured financing to build a 25k artillery rounds a month plant.

The raw materials have be dug out of the ground, refined, combined, and processed just to arrive at the basic components.

This kind of demand creates scarcity of basic materials/commodities and is sending prices through the roof.

From Poland to the Philippines the whole world is arming up, and civilian recreational shooters/handloaders are the last hairs on the tip of the tail.

There’s no conspiracy here—unless we choose to point the finger at Putin, Ping….and Iran.

This--plus the rise in price of various materials in the past 20 years. Basic cartridge brass (which is very similar to the brass used in primers) has more than doubled since the first "primer shortage," which took place during the buying panic inspired by the Clinton "assault rifle ban" in the 1990s. (Back then some shooters were outraged when primer prices went over $30 a 1000. There was also an Internet rumor going around that all new-produced primers were designed to "go dud" within six months, so some were putting their supply of "pre-Clinton" primers in PVC pipe and burying them, so the primer police couldn't confiscate them.)

Given the world's military demand for ammo I don't see prices coming down anytime soon....
Hell no! Prices are not coming down anytime soon (several years at least if then even) If you need primers buy them if you can find them and learn to accept that this is the new price of reloading. For those that have stockpiles of primers congrats! I have quite a bit of stuff but certainly not a lifetime's worth at the rate I shoot and I enjoy reloading and shooting way too much to quit.....Hb
No, just like the tire shop guy giving me chit about tractor tire prices increasing due to the price of oil, well, gas went down, next time i was in he just shrugged and grinned crazy if we buy 'em, they wont go down.
No.

MM
As of right now, anything mail order for 70 dollars or less per brick (including the ship and hazmat) is a buy, in my opinion.

Locally I would hope for less than 70 per brick. But I haven't shopped locally for primers in a while.
Yes, just like after the last two shortages. They won't go back down to $20 -$30, but they will drop to $60 or below on sale IMO.
Other than fuel, when was the last time you saw prices go down after a "crisis"? In recent years that is.
Originally Posted by Fotis
Other than fuel, when was the last time you saw prices go down after a "crisis"? In recent years that is.
Lumber prices came down. I could buy a 4x8 of 7/16 OSB here for $13.97 a sheet precovid, price I saw got up to $87 a sheet here. Last I saw at Lowe’s, it was about $23-$30 a sheet.

Now primers, they started falling here locally. When the new ammo shortage rumors came about, prices jumped from $7.59 for a sleeve to $8.99 for the same sleeve.
If we could wind down the war in Ukraine that might help. The Middle East war could be more difficult, but hopefully will wind down this year. Lots of primers being used by various militaries.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Wonder why there are SR and SP primers readily available but LR and SP primers not so much?

Because most military small arms use SR and SP primers and manufactures are directing production towards those primers. It’s easy to peel off a half million SR and SP primers each month when they are making a million every day or so.

But not many LR and LP primers are being made right now.

Great point. Even when you can find them now, LR primers are crazy expensive.
No - never going back- Biden nomics- inflation- Hope your income can keep up- I live in California and it’s what’s coming! 4.50 gas
I bought a bunch of Ginex large rifle primers. If anyone is near southwest Montana and needs a case, let me know, I can sell some if you can pick them up…
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I bought a bunch of Ginex large rifle primers. If anyone is near southwest Montana and needs a case, let me know, I can sell some if you can pick them up…

A neighborly offer right there. Wish I was closer to Montana. For the trout fishing also.
Originally Posted by Nzlhaed
No - never going back- Biden nomics- inflation- Hope your income can keep up- I live in California and it’s what’s coming! 4.50 gas

Gas here, both in WV and neighboring VA is down below $3, as low as $2.65 at the nearest Sheetz. I don’t use much, maybe a tank every two weeks in my old Ranger, so not a huge deal either way.
Down to $2.84 locally--and has been dropping steadily since the summer tourist season, from a high of $4.33.
Paid $4/gallon this morning, Sunoco 93 (both of my cars demand high octane gas, but on the plus side they get over 30mpg so I don't really mind paying an extra buck/gallon - it balances out). Noticed regular was $3/gallon.
Deisel price is dropping noticably here in Az. Must be an election coming up.
With the direction this world is going ? You really expect
prices to drop ?
LMAO
Kenneth
The Demand for LR primers exceed the supply. I can't find what I want anywhere locally. That is not a recipe for lower prices.
They only charge what people will pay.
The choice is yours.
Because we have been through this several times over the last 30 years, most should be able to read the tea leaves by now.

I will never need primers as I stocked at $29 a brick only 4 or 5 years ago. Also some stores are more routinely less expensive than others. They deserve the patronage.
Brownels has Remington 9.5 LR in stock. 89 a brick with 10 percent off if spend $200 or more. Not bad.
As MD wrote - military usage is an issue (maybe main issue)
Also, I knew a guy that bought lots of reloading components when the president between the Bush’s was in office. When my friend died, his son-in-law, who inherited his stuff and is an avid shooter and travels long distances to matches around the country stated he has enough components that he and his kids will never have to buy primers/powder/bullets/lead.

As AussieGunWriter wrote - this is an event that re-occurs - when prices drop - buy.

Funny how when a Democrat is in office prices on primers and powder go up??? I doubt that I’m the only one who has noticed this.
Originally Posted by Bugger
As MD wrote - military usage is an issue (maybe main issue)
Also, I knew a guy that bought lots of reloading components when the president between the Bush’s was in office. When my friend died, his son-in-law, who inherited his stuff and is an avid shooter and travels long distances to matches around the country stated he has enough components that he and his kids will never have to buy primers/powder/bullets/lead.

As AussieGunWriter wrote - this is an event that re-occurs - when prices drop - buy.

Funny how when a Democrat is in office prices on primers and powder go up??? I doubt that I’m the only one who has noticed this.
MAGA make ammo greatly available.👍
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
They only charge what people will pay.
The choice is yours.
Because we have been through this several times over the last 30 years, most should be able to read the tea leaves by now.

I will never need primers as I stocked at $29 a brick only 4 or 5 years ago. Also some stores are more routinely less expensive than others. They deserve the patronage.
100% TRUTH ive got more than I will need and then some.
that were bought long ago.
Anybody who has reloaded for atleast 4 or 5 years should have learned a lesson by history, repeats it self evertime Has now 3 times in my 38 years reloading and it will again BOOK IT!
I paid $80 for a brick of Federal 210’s the other day at my local. I didn’t even hesitate to pick them up. The guy that was putting them on the shelf said he found them in an unmarked box in the warehouse. He was pretty shocked to find them that’s for sure. I didn’t give a darn. I have seen those on the shelf 2 times in the last 4 years. I am not. Holding out hoping to save $25 on 1000 rifle cartridges seems like a total waste of time
No offense, but fantasizing about prices dropping is just that . A fantasy

I bought a brand new house that I am still living in 23 years ago for 20% of what it would cost today. I am darn lucky that I bought when I did.

When was the last time you priced a new truck?

Gas, tires, groceries???

Someone in here said you had better look for ways to make a few extra bucks because it isn’t coming down. Ever

Our government is spending endless resources on fighting every battle in the world, and inviting everyone to immigrate from other countries with benefits and competing with you and your children for what work hasn’t been relocated to another country already.

The stuff ain’t coming down unfortunately. Better come up with another plan
I bought 500 CCI 400s the other day for $ 5.25 per 100 at Vandenberg SFB. That's 1/2 price compared to LGS and online stores. If they can sell them that cheap something is going on at the LGSs.
Originally Posted by Yaddio
I bought 500 CCI 400s the other day for $ 5.25 per 100 at Vandenberg SFB. That's 1/2 price compared to LGS and online stores. If they can sell them that cheap something is going on at the LGSs.

I’ve never been in any AAFES that sales reloading equipment. Nice find!
I’ve never been in any AAFES that sales reloading equipment. Nice find![/quote]

The base Rod and Gun Club sells powder, primers, etc.
Originally Posted by Yaddio
I’ve never been in any AAFES that sales reloading equipment. Nice find!

The base Rod and Gun Club sells powder, primers, etc.[/quote]

The Base Rod and Gun Club on Camp Lejeune is where I scored my first RL26 and 23!
Around here good luck finding a brick... they just sell them it seems in packs of 100, for between $9 to $11.

Miss being able to buy things on base. Even if I still had access to it, the closest military base is either 400 miles north in Washington, or 400 miles south into California.

Fiocchi is selling primers in a package of 1500 primers instead of a 1000.
Their individual packs contain 150 primers instead the regular 100.
Seafire, too bad you live so far away from a base. When Trump was in office he gave Commissary and Exchange privileges to all Veterans.

Originally Posted by Seafire
Around here good luck finding a brick... they just sell them it seems in packs of 100, for between $9 to $11.

Miss being able to buy things on base. Even if I still had access to it, the closest military base is either 400 miles north in Washington, or 400 miles south into California.

Fiocchi is selling primers in a package of 1500 primers instead of a 1000.
Their individual packs contain 150 primers instead the regular 100.
Originally Posted by MRKbass2
No offense, but fantasizing about prices dropping is just that . A fantasy

I bought a brand new house that I am still living in 23 years ago for 20% of what it would cost today. I am darn lucky that I bought when I did.

When was the last time you priced a new truck?

Gas, tires, groceries???

Someone in here said you had better look for ways to make a few extra bucks because it isn’t coming down. Ever

Our government is spending endless resources on fighting every battle in the world, and inviting everyone to immigrate from other countries with benefits and competing with you and your children for what work hasn’t been relocated to another country already.

The stuff ain’t coming down unfortunately. Better come up with another plan
💯
Availability worries me more than price.
Primers, as with all components, will never get back to pre-hysteria days. Many people forget that normal inflation affects everything, including reloading supplies.

I was buying primers by the cases after Clinton’s attack on arms and ammunition. I’m glad I did, I bought so far into the future, I still have 4 cases of Remington 7 1/2 small rifle primers.

During all this shortage, I have found and bought several more cases of small rifle primers at around $60.00/1000. Right now I can still buy small rifle and small pistol primers under $70.00/1000. You do have to do your homework. Will we ever see case lots of primers under $100.00/5000 again, probably not. It there are still primers out there if you look. Large rifle primers are not cheap or available yet.

I bought a bunch of Ginex large rifle primers when I could find them and I still have close to 2 cases of them if there is anyone in Southwest Montana that wants some, I will sell some…
Has anybody ever asked themselves why companies like Lapua and ADG haven't raised there prices even close to primers and powder?
Picked these up the other day.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Oh yeh, it was a while back
There are a lot of things we can do. We can shoot smaller calibers. A long time ago I shot .270 Win.. , then went to a .243 Win. for deer . A few years after that , I bought a .223 Rem. so I went from 54 gr. of powder and 130 gr. of lead to 27 gr. of powder and 55 gr. of lead. However, the last 5 yrs. I have hardly shot my guns. I can walk outside and be shooting my bow in 2 minutes. No primers or powder. I imagine I saved thousands of rounds of ammo. There is also and AWFUL lot of .22LR out there,, and I dont think they are selling very fast. So, just go get some 22 LR and have fun.. A 36 gr. of lead and about 2 gr. of powder is all a 22 is and a round is the same price as a primer. I have not bought any reloading supplies in 4 yrs. This year I came across Speer 308 150gr. some .270 150 gr. round nose bullets for 10 cents each . The store clerk told me a customer died.. I also bought 1,000 Speer 22 cal. 55 gr. bullets from Graf's for $146 with tax and all. Just shoot less. The price will go down.
I highly doubt we will ever see primers at pre-pandemic days even if Trump regains the White House. I believe 75-85 dollars per 1000 could be in the future but I wouldn't hold my breath though.

With that said, Im certainly glad that I bought my stash of primers during the early days of the Trump era. Ive got many, many 1000 that were bought at 25-30 dollars per 1000. Highly doubt I'll ever need another primer during my lifetime and will certainly not be a buyer at 100 dollars or more per 1000.
I’m thankful I bought a bunch a few years ago
I thought primer price and availability were bad. Ouch!! I just looked at powder!
I bought most of my stuff before these insane prices and still have enough to carry me through these hard times.One reason I still have a good amount is,I don't have a lot of loaded ammo stored away in boxes.I make up ammo as I need it.I bought a lot of brass,mostly once fired.Bought bullets that can be used in several different cartridges of the same caliber.Worked up loads for my rifles that shoot well with more than one type of powder so if I run out of one powder I still have other powders that work.So by changing my habits from stored ammo to stored components,my supplies are lasting much longer.The sad part is as long as these ground wars across the world continue,government contracts with deadlines,are going to take priority with manufactures and keep supplies to us limited with high prices.
© 24hourcampfire