Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
If the manufacturers WANT the prices to come down they will. They’ll turn them out like gangbusters until they have met, or exceeded demand.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Just out to Scheels locally they had cci small pistol and mag sp 69.99 a brick. That's about as cheap as I expect to see them get. No large rifle primers at all.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
We’ve gone from the biggest hoarding event the shooting world has ever seen to a full house run on munitions by half the world’s militaries.

One big military primer order exceeds what we burn through in a year. Plus most of the governments in the western world have told the munition manufacturers to start producing. Most countries have War Production Acts similar to ours.

Japan military spending is the biggest proportion of GDP since…….1945.

The German Parliament has voted to spend the biggest proportion of GDP since……..1945.

Look at Enduron powders—that plant went from 8k 155mm artillery rounds to 12k a month, and is adding on to the facility to make 20k+ a month.

Rheimetal—one the biggest munitions manufacturer in the world appears to have secured financing to build a 25k artillery rounds a month plant.

The raw materials have be dug out of the ground, refined, combined, and processed just to arrive at the basic components.

This kind of demand creates scarcity of basic materials/commodities and is sending prices through the roof.

From Poland to the Philippines the whole world is arming up, and civilian recreational shooters/handloaders are the last hairs on the tip of the tail.

There’s no conspiracy here—unless we choose to point the finger at Putin, Ping….and Iran.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 01/09/24.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Wonder why there are SR and SP primers readily available but LR and SP primers not so much?

Because most military small arms use SR and SP primers and manufactures are directing production towards those primers. It’s easy to peel off a half million SR and SP primers each month when they are making a million every day or so.

But not many LR and LP primers are being made right now.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gojoe
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Not as long as folks continue to buy them as soon as they hit the shelf.

I am inclined to believe that the rules of supply and demand are not true factors in this case.
And certainly not the cost of manufacturing!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you won't pay, then maybe you won't play either.
Reloading supplies will never come down in price very much and most likely will keep going up.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’m glad I have a bunch, enough to take me out I think.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
We’ve gone from the biggest hoarding event the shooting world has ever seen to a full house run on munitions by half the world’s militaries.

One big military primer order exceeds what we burn through in a year. Plus most of the governments in the western world have told the munition manufacturers to start producing. Most countries have War Production Acts similar to ours.

Japan military spending is the biggest proportion of GDP since…….1945.

The German Parliament has voted to spend the biggest proportion of GDP since……..1945.

Look at Enduron powders—that plant went from 8k 155mm artillery rounds to 12k a month, and is adding on to the facility to make 20k+ a month.

Rheimetal—one the biggest munitions manufacturer in the world appears to have secured financing to build a 25k artillery rounds a month plant.

The raw materials have be dug out of the ground, refined, combined, and processed just to arrive at the basic components.

This kind of demand creates scarcity of basic materials/commodities and is sending prices through the roof.

From Poland to the Philippines the whole world is arming up, and civilian recreational shooters/handloaders are the last hairs on the tip of the tail.

There’s no conspiracy here—unless we choose to point the finger at Putin, Ping….and Iran.

This--plus the rise in price of various materials in the past 20 years. Basic cartridge brass (which is very similar to the brass used in primers) has more than doubled since the first "primer shortage," which took place during the buying panic inspired by the Clinton "assault rifle ban" in the 1990s. (Back then some shooters were outraged when primer prices went over $30 a 1000. There was also an Internet rumor going around that all new-produced primers were designed to "go dud" within six months, so some were putting their supply of "pre-Clinton" primers in PVC pipe and burying them, so the primer police couldn't confiscate them.)

Given the world's military demand for ammo I don't see prices coming down anytime soon....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Hell no! Prices are not coming down anytime soon (several years at least if then even) If you need primers buy them if you can find them and learn to accept that this is the new price of reloading. For those that have stockpiles of primers congrats! I have quite a bit of stuff but certainly not a lifetime's worth at the rate I shoot and I enjoy reloading and shooting way too much to quit.....Hb

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No, just like the tire shop guy giving me chit about tractor tire prices increasing due to the price of oil, well, gas went down, next time i was in he just shrugged and grinned crazy if we buy 'em, they wont go down.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No.

MM

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
As of right now, anything mail order for 70 dollars or less per brick (including the ship and hazmat) is a buy, in my opinion.

Locally I would hope for less than 70 per brick. But I haven't shopped locally for primers in a while.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes, just like after the last two shortages. They won't go back down to $20 -$30, but they will drop to $60 or below on sale IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Other than fuel, when was the last time you saw prices go down after a "crisis"? In recent years that is.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fotis
Other than fuel, when was the last time you saw prices go down after a "crisis"? In recent years that is.
Lumber prices came down. I could buy a 4x8 of 7/16 OSB here for $13.97 a sheet precovid, price I saw got up to $87 a sheet here. Last I saw at Lowe’s, it was about $23-$30 a sheet.

Now primers, they started falling here locally. When the new ammo shortage rumors came about, prices jumped from $7.59 for a sleeve to $8.99 for the same sleeve.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If we could wind down the war in Ukraine that might help. The Middle East war could be more difficult, but hopefully will wind down this year. Lots of primers being used by various militaries.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Wonder why there are SR and SP primers readily available but LR and SP primers not so much?

Because most military small arms use SR and SP primers and manufactures are directing production towards those primers. It’s easy to peel off a half million SR and SP primers each month when they are making a million every day or so.

But not many LR and LP primers are being made right now.

Great point. Even when you can find them now, LR primers are crazy expensive.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
No - never going back- Biden nomics- inflation- Hope your income can keep up- I live in California and it’s what’s coming! 4.50 gas

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a bunch of Ginex large rifle primers. If anyone is near southwest Montana and needs a case, let me know, I can sell some if you can pick them up…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I bought a bunch of Ginex large rifle primers. If anyone is near southwest Montana and needs a case, let me know, I can sell some if you can pick them up…

A neighborly offer right there. Wish I was closer to Montana. For the trout fishing also.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (160user, 257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 257robertsimp, 25 invisible), 1,752 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,159
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.