Home
Posted By: Fire Hawk Help me buy a Chronograph - 01/28/13
So I want to pick up my first chronograph. I have read both good and bad about the Chrony, Shooting Chrony and PACT. I have a PACT digital scale that has been really good for several years so I am leaning that way.

One thing that I would really like is a Chrono that can handle my rifles, but also work with archery and possibly ML equipment.

Also, I believe that I should have the readout computer etc. be separate from the sky screens and bullets tend to "destroy" what they are pointed at. So...in an effort to keep replacement costs to a minimum, I would like that type.

What should I look at? I really don't want to spend more than $150ish.

Thanks!
FH
My vote is for Competetion Electronics for $110. Not fancy it just works.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Help me buy a Chronograph - 01/28/13
ProChrono Digital with the USB connectivity kit.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Help me buy a Chronograph - 01/28/13
Pro Chrono Digital, on sale at Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Help me buy a Chronograph - 01/28/13
I use a shooting chrony beta. It's cheap which is good because at some point you or someone else will shoot it. It has a remote readout which is good because at some point you or someone else will shoot it and all you will need is the sensor end which saves some money.

The sabots from the Muzzle loader can kill it. Mine is accurate, at least t matched another chrony when I checked and it reads pretty much everything that goes across it.
For the mostpart the shooters chronys are a POS, come-up with the extra cash and buy an Oehler you wont need another chronograph in your lifetime.
Rockchuck, I didn't think the general public could buy an Oehler any more. Read something to that effect while I was researching this site and others. Did I misunderstand that? Who sells the Oehler?

FH
Originally Posted by Fire Hawk
Rockchuck, I didn't think the general public could buy an Oehler any more. Read something to that effect while I was researching this site and others. Did I misunderstand that? Who sells the Oehler?

FH

Oehler has brought the 35P back to production for the public. Google for the website. Cry once, you will be glad you did !
Wow! $600 ($575 for the kit and $25 shipping) for the Oehler chronograph etc. is quite a lot past my meager budget. I know, I know, you get what you pay for. Just get sad knowing that I really can't spend that kind of dough right now or in the immediate future.

So....is it even worth it to look at the cheaper models? Will they tell me enough about what is happening with my handloads to make good decisions?

If they don't, then it will be several years before I can justify purchasing the Oehler.

Thanks!

FH

Pure BS

LC
Another ProChrono vote.

Bows to bb guns to HV varmint rounds, it will read them all.

When shooting shotshell or MLer sabots, I shoot w/o screens and place the unit about 3' from the muzzle. Works like a champ.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Help me buy a Chronograph - 01/28/13
I have been happily using a PACT for the last twenty years. Mine has been trouble free. I did send it in earlier this year to have it checked and calibrated simply because it was twenty years old. The current model with the infrared sky screens and the computer interface are nice additions, and an updated bullet library would be nice, so I may replace mine at some point. I paid $200 for mine twenty years ago and the current one with the new features sells for around $270.

My reloading manuals are bookmarked with the little printouts with the statistics and ballistic tables for each cartridge and rifle that I load for. It has helped me to get smarter about hand loading and how to put together accurate loads that perform like I want.
Posted By: deflave Re: Help me buy a Chronograph - 01/28/13
Fire Hawk,

A Chrony works fine. Throw a new battery in it every once in awhile and check it with known loads every now and again.

Travis
Originally Posted by Fire Hawk
Wow! $600 ($575 for the kit and $25 shipping) for the Oehler chronograph etc. is quite a lot past my meager budget. I know, I know, you get what you pay for. Just get sad knowing that I really can't spend that kind of dough right now or in the immediate future.

So....is it even worth it to look at the cheaper models? Will they tell me enough about what is happening with my handloads to make good decisions?

If they don't, then it will be several years before I can justify purchasing the Oehler.

Thanks!

I started with a Crony Beta Master and still have it. No experience with the others, I am sure that they are fine. I believe the important thing is to have a chronograph, period. I did not realize the Oheler was that expensive ! I bought mine when Oheler closed them out at $225. What ever brand you decide on is certainly better than not having one.

FH
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Help me buy a Chronograph - 01/28/13
Originally Posted by deflave
Fire Hawk,

A Chrony works fine. Throw a new battery in it every once in awhile and check it with known loads every now and again.

Travis

It does pain me so. For once I have to agree with you. grin
Posted By: deflave Re: Help me buy a Chronograph - 01/29/13
I love you too.

Travis
Posted By: Freddy Re: Help me buy a Chronograph - 01/29/13
I have owned both a Pact and a Shooting chrony betamaster, all I got was errors, bought a pro chrony digital and have never been happier.
Posted By: byd Re: Help me buy a Chronograph - 01/29/13
++++ pro chrony
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Help me buy a Chronograph - 01/29/13
The reliability of getting a good reading with every projectile passed over the ProChrono Digital sets it apart from all the other low priced chronographs IME.
They simply do not miss many readings, quite unlike the SC models I've tried.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Help me buy a Chronograph - 01/29/13
Only the best for me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Shooting Chronys are pretty crappy, I've found the Pro Chrono to be much much more consistent. One of these days I'm going to pick up a Oehler.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Help me buy a Chronograph - 01/29/13
Originally Posted by Fotis
Only the best for me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

While a superb device I'm not sure the Oehler 35 is still, unquestionably, the best chronograph out there.
Oehler's own 43 PBL may trump it and the PVM-21 available from NECO may as well.
Both make the price charged for a 35 seem like a bargain though.
Yes I know the 43 PBL isn't available new any longer.
How about in cold weather? Does anyone have experience using the PRO Chrony in the cold? The discription says operating temps from 32-100F.
Originally Posted by SpartanGunner
How about in cold weather? Does anyone have experience using the PRO Chrony in the cold? The discription says operating temps from 32-100F.

I've used one in below zero temps. It worked fine. A key is to keep your batteries warm, but that is important regardless of chronograph brand.
Originally Posted by SpartanGunner

Yes. It works in much colder weather than that.
Posted By: woods Re: Help me buy a Chronograph - 01/29/13
Pro Chrono hands down

Won't have another Shooting Chrony
Posted By: Freddy Re: Help me buy a Chronograph - 01/30/13
Sure, if you can afford it.
Posted By: RinB Re: Help me buy a Chronograph - 01/30/13
Never had a problem with Chrony provided I used magic tape on the slits. My knuckle headed buddies shoot them often but that is not the fault of the unit.
I just ordered the ProChrony Digital. Hopefully it shows up before the end of the spring. All of these places are warning us that orders are delayed significantly. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it locally so I had no other choice.

So....I ordered it and decided that if I was going to pay shipping, I would order 100 7mm Balistic Tips and another 50 Accubonds for the 7mm-08 while I was at it. There.....now I feel better and less anxious.

I will report on the results after I get a chance to play with it a little.

FH
© 24hourcampfire